The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I left Facebook and Instagram to focus on myself
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Head

I left Facebook and Instagram to focus on myself

It was 2016, November to be exact. That I decided to get off Facebook for good! Facebook has not only gotten too big, but it has gotten out of hand. I even got tired of friends posting stuff, that I was already reading about in the news. I was also becoming tired of being solicited by young women want me too look at their nude bodies. Which is still goin on in the me too movement. The real main reason for leaving Facebook was the constant scrolling, and wanting to see what new stuff people had posted, and I realized it was starting to take over my life, when I even had it on my iPhone. I would even look at it at work. If you don’t think Social media is not addictive and not like a drug, you are sooo wrong. Recently, I deleted my Instagram account as well, Because I was using Instagram, the same way I used Facebook! I often wonder is it really necessary to post 100’s of pictures of your self, not that i was doing that, but do I really need to share everything with the rest of the world? Probably not! There are better thing I can be doing with my time, then spending it on Social media. Reading, playing music, listening to music, going for a walk. Talking to live people, not just a screen.

Working on myself, and doing what I enjoy is better mentally for me, than constantly being online. For thousands of years, humans survived before the internet.

Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

You are better off. Social media is evil.
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

The only reason I was on social media a couple years ago was to try a new business. That particular business didn't fly so I shut it all down.
I like to see the eyes of the person I'm talking to or at least hear their voice on the phone.
Old 12th September 2019
Lives for gear

Social media makes people behave antisocial. Why? Because is not natural to communicate via electronic devices. We are not made of electronic components, but of natural components. For business "social media" shouldn't be neglected, however.
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Guru

I thought people joined those things to focus on themselves. And post pictures of their food.
Old 13th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I thought people joined those things to focus on themselves. And post pictures of their food.
Old 4 weeks ago
As an expat, I find social media invaluable for avoiding feelings of “homesickness” (even though I’m home now).

I get it’s not all smiles, I get there’s bullying, abuse, a lot of trolls and fakeness and all that.

Still the good outweighs the bad for me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

F*** Facebook

-->a one way ticket to narcissistic wannabe celebretism: "hey look at me!!"

I get more out of interactive forums like this one
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Yeah Social media is definitely addictive, I often find myself just endlessly scrolling on Instagram / Facebook for no reason - such a waste of time. Facebook will be the first to go as in my opinion its getting pretty outdated and not many of my friends actively use it (apart from the messenger app which you don't need a facebook account for anymore)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Before the internet and smartphones you could see many people on trains, subways, park benches and anywhere else they had to wait with a magazine or the newspaper up to there faces. No different today really except the fact that it's smaller and way more engaging if you want it to be.
I see little difference except that it's not as static or black and white.

Gearslutz and other forums are social networking too. Just a different formats.
I have two friend requests for example here that I just let sit there. I don't see the point.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

For personal life, it can be a drag. For some of us still out there playing music, it's pretty darn valuable.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

For business yes, it can be a powerful tool! I just had to delete my personal account. Not that I have a business one, but I understand where you are coming from with music.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
I'm such a unsocial dude that without social media I would be completely left outside of everything. Wouldn't know what my friends are up to, wouldn't know about good parties, wouldn't know what's going on around the town.

I think many got this wrong here, social media does not mean that you must post stuff about yourself. I've been to Facebook close to 10 years now. I've made less than 5 posts.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search