The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone with Bipolar here?
Old 10th August 2019
Here for the gear

Anyone with Bipolar here?

Hey guys just wanted to check out if anyone in the business also suffers with bipolar.

We all know about creative blocks where for the life of us we cannot get out in productive work, but does anyone suffer with the ups and downs of bipolar.

Bipolar for me has always been a blessing and curse, in manic episodes i can work for 18 hours with 3 hour breaks for close to a week. but when the depression kicks in im man down.

I do know of some successful guys that have learnt how to time this ups and downs, and have really used it to develop amazing careers.

Sadly i dont have that perfected yet.

I read that DMX, Chris Brown, Kanye all suffer with it.

Just wanted to hear from you guys if you suffer from it, and what your coping mechanisms are?

Thanks
Old 10th August 2019
Here for the gear

First off, thanks for your willingness to discuss and be open about mental health, I think everyone in the audio/music industry would benefit from more of these conversations.

I'm not bipolar, but I've been dealing with depression/anxiety for the last decade or so. Obviously not 100% the same, but I think the things that have helped me most are pretty applicable to any mental health stuff. Those things are:

1) starting antidepressants a couple years ago (Zoloft)
2) Accepting it and giving myself permission to have bad days rather than getting into cycles of being anxious about being anxious or depressed about being depressed.
3) talking about it with other people, especially those who are also musicians/self employed and realizing that it's super common at all levels in the industry
4) realizing the anti depressents didn't fully solve the problem so talking to my doctor and adding an additional medication (Wellbutrin)
5) Practicing mindfulness and meditation (Check out the book 10% happier if you don't know where to start)
6) Marijuana has been very helpful for me lately (unfortunately I know this isn't a possibility for everyone, I'm self employed and in California)

You've already done at least step 3 and have self awareness which is huge, so hang in there and try things until you find what helps you!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search