The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Helpful tools, tips & trick, workflows, strategies and whatever for living with ADD
Old 22nd May 2019
Deleted 5072d97
Helpful tools, tips & trick, workflows, strategies and whatever for living with ADD

This thread is about helping your fellow ADD/ADHD people with the knowledge that you've had big use of to deal with the usual problems that often come with these diagnosis (concentration issues, not being able to finish what you've started, not seeing the big picture but only the details)

Do you have something that you want help to figure out how to best deal with?
Do you have some knowledge to share with us other?

Below is the original thread with some not so relevant text.

I got this idea from a poster in one or my other threads, I had a hard time explaining why it was so important for me to develop a good naming / labelling system for my tracks and groups and create a template with it.
Instead he said and believed that this was the wrong focus for me and now I really understand why he couldn't understand what I was coming from.. Because it's very hard to explain something for someone that haven't experienced what you have experience (for all your life).
Worth mentioning is that he probably were right about the labelling structure not being as important and probably wouldn't have helped me as much as I thought but I totally failed to explain how it might could help me with the bigger picture of things (which is something I'm terrible at, looking at things from a larger perspective).

The is poster advised me to go and create a thread and ask what people with a ADD or ADHD diagnosis have done to solve some of the music related problems they've faced and how they came to solve them, which of course is a great idea and here's that thread and I hope it could be used to share experiences, some tips and tools that have helped you with different ADD-related problems and also ask others for help with your own problems.

Please let this be a serious thread. There's of course room for discussions but please note that this thread primarily is for music production-problems that people with ADD and ADHD can face and of course the solutions.

So.. I'm sure there must be some fellow ADD people hanging around here and of course we're not all the same and have the same problems but many of us of course share the same problems.

I'm hoping to learn a lot more tricks from you, maybe find some tools that could make my life easier and also of course contribute myself when I can.

I'm coming from a musician background, been playing music for about 15 years, writing my own stuff for almost as long and recording it for the last 10 years and therefore my knowledge and interest is mainly with writing and recording / producing music but of course everyone including those without the diagnosis theirselves but feel they have something that could contribute because there's certainly someone out there that will appreciate it the only rule is that it needs to be audio and ADD/ADHD related.

I'm sure there must be some people here with these diagnoses, unless Gearslutz are unique with its userbase, I'd actually expect there's even a higher percentage of people with it here.
Old 22nd May 2019
Deleted 5072d97
I guess I'll start, I discovered that colors do help to a certain point very late but I'm terrible at colouring my tracks after they've been recorded so I'm trying to keep a template with the colors pre-setup still trying to find out how to figure out the best colourful setup though but just separating stuff with color has helped me a great deal.

I also want to mention the template, I wish I was better at figuring out how I will work and take my song, but I've got a rather good template going, trying not to be too specific about it because well it will not be of help if I need to rearrange my tracks so I've tried just setting up the basic stuff that I know will happen and some options that doesn't clutter my session and bascially building from that.

I love pre-setup inputs so I've worked towards giving all my instruments, effects, mics etc their own specific input and even though it's a work in progress (seems to be a re-occuring theme) I feel it has helped me to create more than when I had to plugin and plug out cables.

My best tip is a desk that can be raised and lowered. I mean, wow, this is really one of my best investments, I also did some custom work on it, designed a studio table with cut outs for 2 x 4U racks, sadly I miscalculated some stuff with the rack rails which I'll need to figure out a workaround that hopefully will turn it into even something better than I first planned it to be, but it works fine now and holds 4U of rack gear. but back to the raised and lower table. It's such a fantastic thing to be able to do my work standing up and still be able to sit when I need to or feel to. It's not that I've got restless legs but I just feel it's so much nicer to just stand and walk around without having to sit down, stand up, sit down stand up every time I need to move around, tweaking or playing a synth etc. I recommend everyone that has thought about this to look further into getting a desk with raise and lowered function.

I guess that is what I have to contribute with for now.

What I myself wish I could get some help figuring out (my own contribution feels a bit awkward in comparison to what I'm asking here) is:

Finishing projects,
I start new projects every other day but never finish them, have over a hundred (lost a couple in a hard drive crash recently though, might be for the best..) it's like I feel that I wish to wait finish the track that to me feels like it has all the potential to being a really good song, that I want to become a better songwriter before I finish it, a better engineer, a better person overall but I also get tired of playing the same clip over and over again which makes me want to go and write something else, preferably in another scale. I know there's a ton of info about this subject and how to finish stuff and I haven't looked at everything but I'd really like to know what people with attention difficulty disorder are doing to finish projects, maybe their tips will work out better for me.

Questioning my perceptions and not trusting myself
I also have this thing, not sure if it's completely related to my ADD but it's where I try to figure out if something is right such as "is this synth sound right?" I mean that question is so silly but I still keep asking myself and questioning myself when it comes to decision, same goes with engineering gear, I always catch myself questioning if it's sound "right". All other areas in my life I know there's no such thing as right, I'm completely convinced that everything is "something" but there's no such thing as right (unless it's a question about something really logical like 2+2 is equal to 4) everything is relative depending on the perspective, I see the whole world this way except music (and visual art, to be completely honest).
How can I just learn to trust myself within music and audio? How can I actually understand and I mean really understand that as long as it sounds good to me it's alright? When this thought strikes, a sound I spent hours tweaking starts to dissolve, and it's like my brain is taking it apart, listening on the details, like every single note in there, and it's always able to find one that isn't sounding that great, and it enhances it, and if I try to remove it I've soon lost what it was that I liked in the first place. But this happens so fast, that I've got no chance of trusting my instincts. I really want to overcome this because it's such a obstacle for me.

Organisation
I also have a thing for organisation, I guess it's related to the last paragraph, I want to find the right setup for me and I spend hours planning everything from time to time, I rarely follow though, because even if I've got like twice as many cables that I need, they're all the wrong length or something else helps me procrastinate finishing it, I'm guessing I have a feeling it's only temporary, every single time!
I would love how to know how other people have made what to me looks like the perfect setup for them. If I stopped rearranging stuff I could make more music and also have a setup that I can memorise and just follow. I have to admit that I think it's extremely pleasing and quite fun to organise and plan stuff but it get's less fun when you know that you'll take everything apart again within 3 months and start again.
How did you decide on your setup and workflow? It's time for me to make something permanent and move on to organising other stuff than my home studio.

I guess that's enough for this thread start. I really hope that this could actually be a thread to help each other out. I, myself, aren't taking any drugs to improve my concentration but I did try it both Ritalin, Concerta and some street amphetamine a couple of times (mostly to party in my younger days but also to get things done) and the only thing that actually worked was speed it gave me a great buzz of course and I reacted very different to everyone else that took it but the withdrawal lasted way too long, couldn't sleep for 6-10 hours after the anxiety came and well, not for me.
Concerta and Ritalin just gave me a tiny energy boost for 2 hours then an 8 hour long withdraw not as painful physically as the speed but just as much anxiety and I couldn't do much more after work than to lie in bed and wait it out and then go to sleep (for a year!), though my perception for audio improved, like I heard the details so much more clearer.
I tried it for a year and my doctor kept raising the dosage when I said I didn't feel too well, so I decided to quit the drugs and I'm not very interested in going back to them, as I understand it's rather hard to threat a patient with ADD compared to ADHD, and since I also have Atypical Autism it's
Old 23rd May 2019
Deleted 5072d97
Not entirely satisfied with everyone's enthusiasm about this thread.

Maybe the text became to long..

Maybe I placed it in a bit so correct sub-forum, could a moderator maybe move it to the Gear-Free Zone?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search