The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Everything's ****, and I'm cynical
Old 6th March 2019
Deleted 76d1bd4
Everything's ****, and I'm cynical

Does anyone ever feel like everything they love about music is slowly dying, and becoming so part of the status quo and society that's slowly consuming it? I'm trying to become a successful musician and producer but find it so hard to be positive. Its 2019 Everything and everyone seems so sterile, everything's been done, and we're all slowly descending into this chaotic mad world. I feel alienated, unhappy and I wish I was born 30 years earlier...
Old 6th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 76d1bd4 View Post
Does anyone ever feel like everything they love about music is slowly dying...
All depends. If I just tracked and mixed other people's stuff I might feel that way. But I don't just do that; I write and record my own stuff, and play live, and and I love doing it. And there are a few indie artists who have cut a tune of mine or have one in their live show, and that's hugely gratifying. Gratifying plus lucrative would be better, but hey.
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does anyone ever feel like everything they love about music is slowly dying, and becoming so part of the status quo and society that's slowly consuming it? I'm trying to become a successful musician and producer but find it so hard to be positive. Its 2019 Everything and everyone seems so sterile, everything's been done, and we're all slowly descending into this chaotic mad world. I feel alienated, unhappy and I wish I was born 30 years earlier...
Yep, all the time.... My period as a working musician was 80s early 90s, unfortunately that is the very era which, IMO, music began to die.

Having said that, it is I'm sure a state of mind, the older I become then the more cynical I become also.

There are a pair of brothers from Long Island, Brian and Michael D'Addario.....very young and very very talented, their band 'The Lemon Twigs' renewed my faith in a lot of ways. I shall watch their progress with interest.

The fact that they exist HAS to be good news.....and there must be many more like them under the radar.
Old 6th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hey man !

Hey Jude, don't make it bad
Take a sad song and make it better
Remember to let her into your heart
Then you can start to make it better

Take it easy and do always what YOU like and don't think about the others.
Some days are hard but always do the best job you can so you can look back at yourself and be proud no matter what level of success you obtained.

All the best!!
PS I'm a negative creep
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quiteth not thy day job.
Old 6th March 2019
Gear Guru

I do have to say that the radio in my old beater died over a year ago and I don't miss it.
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
There are a pair of brothers from Long Island, Brian and Michael D'Addario.....very young and very very talented, their band 'The Lemon Twigs' renewed my faith in a lot of ways. I shall watch their progress with interest.

The fact that they exist HAS to be good news.....and there must be many more like them under the radar.
Wow, they are incredible, genuine artistry still exists! There's hope alright.
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra View Post
PS : 27k subscribers this band has. Sadly Politics ruin the music sector big time. There's so much PC in music, film, everywhere you look, yeah, I can see why the OP has had it.
PS2 : I would love to see Paul McCartney's reaction listening this band.
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra View Post
I think they are 19 and 21 years old, maybe a little older? Incredible talent....and their 'pop sensibility' completely belies their youth.

I'm thinking they might be from a distant planet where ALL bands are that good?
Old 6th March 2019
Gear Guru

Yeah. I don’t listen to the radio about 100% of the time. Write and record my own music, which would never have mass appeal. I’m happy.
Old 6th March 2019
Here for the gear

It's just an aging thing. Just be glad you weren't one of those who peaked in high school.
Old 6th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulsE69 View Post
It's just an aging thing. Just be glad you weren't one of those who peaked in high school.
Depending on the kind of peak you mean, I probably did but never had the opportunity to demonstrate it.
Old 6th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulsE69 View Post
I still feel I'm yet to reach my peak. OK, I'm an undyingly optimistic 63 year old.
Old 6th March 2019
Gear Nut

Glad I read this post. I learned about The Lemon Twigs', worth it!

I agree that the "music business" is pumping out cookie cutter music but it always has.

If you are serving yourself, don't worry about it. If you are depending on music for your daily bread, find a great partner.
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

I think you guys are way too cynical and quite a bit out of touch with reality. One can only find what one truly seeks.

As for 'The Lemon Twigs'. Yeah, it's ok, even great.. but if this is your idea of "true artistry" then it pretty much highlights why you guys feel so cynical. Just saying..
Old 6th March 2019
Deleted 2915a84
Do guys mean pessimistic?

pes·si·mism
/ˈpesəˌmizəm/
noun
a tendency to see the worst aspect of things or believe that the worst will happen; a lack of hope or confidence in the future.

Or do you really mean cynical?
/ˈsinək(ə)l/
believing that people are motivated by self-interest; distrustful of human sincerity or integrity.
"her cynical attitude"
concerned only with one's own interests and typically disregarding accepted or appropriate standards in order to achieve them.
"a cynical manipulation of public opinion"

It is smart to be cynical.

It is stupid to be pessimistic.

You’d do well to be cynically optimistic.

It is just a Divine Comedy afterall.

op·ti·mism
/ˈäptəˌmizəm/
hopefulness and confidence about the future or the successful outcome of something.
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

That's great I'm gonna live til I'm 100
Old 7th March 2019
Deleted 2915a84
live even longer than a stinking pessimist

Harvard researchers find optimism is linked to less disease and longer lifespan.

Is Shrinking Optimism Tied to Drop in U.S. Life Expectancy? | Psychology Today
Old 7th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
I still feel I'm yet to reach my peak. OK, I'm an undyingly optimistic 63 year old.
Ditto!
Old 7th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
I think you guys are way too cynical and quite a bit out of touch with reality. One can only find what one truly seeks.

As for 'The Lemon Twigs'. Yeah, it's ok, even great.. but if this is your idea of "true artistry" then it pretty much highlights why you guys feel so cynical. Just saying..
Of course all artistic interpretation is subjective. My own take on 'The Lemon Twigs' is that it is refreshing to see such young artists who are, not only excellent musicians, but who also have such discerning taste and are not swept along by the status quo in the same way as many of their contemporaries are.

As far as "us guys" being "way too cynical"?.......Give it a few decades, see how you feel then
Old 7th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwaves View Post
Ditto!
Ditto!
Old 7th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
My own take on 'The Lemon Twigs' is that it is refreshing to see such young artists who are, not only excellent musicians, but who also have such discerning taste and are not swept along by the status quo in the same way as many of their contemporaries are.
No, they're swept along by the status quo of 1966. Good, though, for what it is. I've got some friends in a Roaring 20's band and they do that really well, too.
Old 7th March 2019
Deleted fcbdeac
Quote:
it is refreshing to see such young artists who are, not only excellent musicians, but who also have such discerning taste and are not swept along by the status quo in the same way as many of their contemporaries are.
its like hanson meets the monkeys and or backstreet whatevers all over again... they are props.. only now "they" have the easiest route ala mighty major label google ad cash to make it all become real. please. you can buy the "twigs" clothes in Walmart now ffs...... refreshing
Old 7th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
No, they're swept along by the status quo of 1966. Good, though, for what it is. I've got some friends in a Roaring 20's band and they do that really well, too.
I felt the same way about Crowded House. I first heard them in about '94, and thought they were some of the best since the Beatles. But that was the thing - it was a very good replication of the style of 60s - 70s guitar bands.
Old 7th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I'd say they're more 70s influenced.....whatever, I find them a refreshing change from 'autotune on the gridsville' which (IMO, I hasten to add) is becoming frighteningly normalised.
Old 7th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted fcbdeac View Post
its like hanson meets the monkeys and or backstreet whatevers all over again... they are props.. only now "they" have the easiest route ala mighty major label google ad cash to make it all become real. please. you can buy the "twigs" clothes in Walmart now ffs...... refreshing
The fact that you think that it's about clothes speaks volumes.

And please....facepalms???? what are you 11?
Old 7th March 2019
Deleted fcbdeac
Quote:
The fact that you think that it's about clothes speaks volumes.

And please....facepalms???? what are you 11?
I just think it is hilarious that anyone would consider this a serious band or anything even remotely to do with something basement garage fresh, original, unique, refreshing or non "autotune" whatever... they're controlled and manufactured from a-z, 100% the exact opposite of what you think it is. Granted the over all package is there.. everywhere, for everyone, all of a sudden.. big surprise. And that is the point. Job well done Google.
Old 7th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted fcbdeac View Post
I just think it is hilarious that anyone would consider this a serious band or anything even remotely to do with something basement garage fresh, original, unique, refreshing or non "autotune" whatever... they're controlled and manufactured from a-z, 100% the exact opposite of what you think it is. Granted the over all package is there.. everywhere, for everyone, all of a sudden.. big surprise. And that is the point. Job well done Google.
Well if that is the case then surely the "controlled manufacture" has failed? Because they don't come close to their contemporaries in terms of sales.

I'm aware of 'marketing and packaging' it has been a constant within pop music since the year dot, I don't agree with your opinion however that The Lemon Twigs are an example of it.

You compare them to Hanson?.....The brothers in The Lemon Twigs are proficient musicians to say the least......the guys in Hanson have admitted that they didn't even play on their releases, so I don't think the comparison works.....and we could all go on and on and on about what constitutes 'originality' but we'd just end up in a row over semantics.

I've been around long enough to know what I like and why I like it.

You're obviously not a fan, that's fine, but as I stated earlier, it is all subjective.....I just don't understand this thing (particular to social media it seems) whereby individuals feel the need to ridicule those who's tastes in music/art they don't share.
Old 7th March 2019
Lives for gear

Hanson could play their instruments. MMbop and that , they were playing. Chords a beat and singing. They played unplugged even on late night.

Not like a Katy Perry playing a flute or something onstage. Katy , there's still time to learn.

Or Axl Rose in 90's running from end to end with football pads screaming for an hour, then think why isnt he winded. He's not even breathing is he..
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search