The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Everything's ****, and I'm cynical Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyacier View Post
Totally absurd.

If you’re listening to derivative garbage like this Greta band, that is blatantly copying zep, then no wonder you’re hopeless. They’re a high school band.

The Twig band? Utter crap. High school band.

The Y generation is a deranged piece of the population. They have no sense of time. The past, present and future are compressed into a permanent eternity that is, was and always will be ... until the next moment. Their minds are glued to screens. Sick people by and large.

At different times in history this “lost generation” appears. Usually at the Fin de Sicle’. We are at the end of a cycle.

This crowd doesn’t know what nostalgia is. It’s lost on them. In the way some people with autism can’t identify happy or sad or angry etc They confuse them. It’s just sameness.

Most of them are waiting for catastrophe. They are predetermined. Fated. Inevitable. A Faustian bargain that looks more like Sartre’ No Exit.

Once this sick generation fades into irrelevancy, the next generation, that is already rejecting this nihilism, will blow the world away with renaissance.

The west is a sick old man like the USSR and Ottoman Empire once were. The East is sick, too. Same disease.
Heavy as f*ck
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

You know when a band like Greta breaks through, we should just be happy that they are bringing old school rock back to the charts. For once these Kanye West kids get a chance to explore a sound that comes from a decent heritage. Maybe they will get to know the old stuff because of this band because they keep hearing "they sound like Zeppelin". They are never going to be Zeppelin, there is no room for that because it´s simply not made up of the elements that make a mainstream pop band, what 16 year old is going to sit through Stairway to Heaven? There are only a few.

It´s the instant Youtube click-through gradification thing. Bands need good singles now, the album days are gone.

It has to be a Katy Perry type Led Zeppelin, you know good looking dudes with long hair who look kinda artsy with cowboy vests and raccoon tails hanging out their jeans. You gotta get all the young women in the front row because they pay for this stuff, my girlfriend bought both their cds. She wants to see them live soon, I bet the place will be packed with women.

Yes they do look like thrift store hipster hobbits.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Totally absurd.

If you’re listening to derivative garbage like this Greta band, that is blatantly copying zep, then no wonder you’re hopeless. They’re a high school band.

The Twig band? Utter crap. High school band.

The Y generation is a deranged piece of the population. They have no sense of time. The past, present and future are compressed into a permanent eternity that is, was and always will be ... until the next moment. Their minds are glued to screens. Sick people by and large.

At different times in history this “lost generation” appears. Usually at the Fin de Sicle’. We are at the end of a cycle.

This crowd doesn’t know what nostalgia is. It’s lost on them. In the way some people with autism can’t identify happy or sad or angry etc They confuse them. It’s just sameness.

Most of them are waiting for catastrophe. They are predetermined. Fated. Inevitable. A Faustian bargain that looks more like Sartre’ No Exit.

Once this sick generation fades into irrelevancy, the next generation, that is already rejecting this nihilism, will blow the world away with renaissance.

The west is a sick old man like the USSR and Ottoman Empire once were. The East is sick, too. Same disease.
As you read this, try to imagine it's the preacher in the Footloose clip, in his voice and cadence. Amen!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadiah93 View Post
Does anyone ever feel like everything they love about music is slowly dying, and becoming so part of the status quo and society that's slowly consuming it? I'm trying to become a successful musician and producer but find it so hard to be positive. Its 2019 Everything and everyone seems so sterile, everything's been done, and we're all slowly descending into this chaotic mad world. I feel alienated, unhappy and I wish I was born 30 years earlier...
For a meloman, this world is a benediction. Never before has so much music been available.

Beethoven was sad because he thought he was misunderstood....so patience.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
As you read this, try to imagine it's the preacher in the Footloose clip, in his voice and cadence. Amen!
Thank you for perfectly illustrating my point.

Footloose? Lol
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you for perfectly illustrating my point.

Footloose? Lol
Lol? lol
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
Lol? lol
Lol? Lol?
LMAO
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Nobody cares that Smokey is loosing royalties?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

The current trend of creative destruction in the arts corresponds to a nihilism and pervasive “sense of doom” that has historical precedent. We saw this before the unnecessary catastrophe of 1914-1945.

Was it inevitable, fated, doomed, determined? No.

This era isn’t producing. It’s reproducing. Re-remembering. It’s a like a creative revisionism. A reordering or reorganizing of the culture to create a utopia or heaven on earth in the hope of avoiding the “inevitable catastrophe”. If it’s all just “made clean” we can cure the sickness and survive.

But this isn’t how it works in this timeless rebellion. It didn’t work this way in the Reformation, which led to the 30 Years War. It didn’t work this way in the French Revolution, which led to the Great War of 1914-1945.

The act of creative destruction is deep rooted. It is a powerful seduction that is twisted into the inevitable or the fated. Time and again the decadence and narcissism leads Nero to burn Rome or Eisenhower to napalm Germany or Hitler to exterminate the races of Europe. For the Y generation, a “Joker” from the Batman. A society full of “Jokers” confronts a “League of Shadows”, as it were. They’re one and the same.

Footloose is an alibi in this cosmology.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Er.... Um, are you sure?

And bravo for the Godwin point.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The current trend of creative destruction in the arts corresponds to a nihilism and pervasive “sense of doom” that has historical precedent. We saw this before the unnecessary catastrophe of 1914-1945.

This era isn’t producing. It’s reproducing. Re-remembering. It’s a like a creative revisionism. A reordering or reorganizing of the culture to create a utopia or heaven on earth in the hope of avoiding the “inevitable catastrophe”. If it’s all just “made clean” we can cure the sickness and survive.

But this isn’t how it works in this timeless rebellion. It didn’t work this way in the Reformation, which led to the 30 Years War. It didn’t work this way in the French Revolution, which led to the Great War of 1914-1945.

The act of creative destruction is deep rooted. It is a powerful seduction that is twisted into the inevitable or the fated. Time and again the decadence and narcissism leads Nero to burn Rome or Eisenhower to napalm Germany or Hitler to exterminate the races of Europe. For the Y generation, a “Joker” from the Batman. A society full of “Jokers” confronts a “League of Shadows”, as it were. They’re one and the same.

All your own work? Or that of 'The Society For Ethnomusicology'?......Or The Flat Earth Society?

"Paul's dead man" they wail as they play 'Octopuss's Garden' backwards........Bollocks, all of it.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Did you make a wrong turn on your web browser? I think you want this forum:

Aesthetics - Philosophy Now Forum
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1971 View Post
I dont care if smokey loosens his royalties or tightens them up with or without a washer.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's awful when ANYBODY gets ripped off, I'm sure everybody in this thread has been at one point or other in their career; I certainly have.

And Smokey is a brilliant artist, The Miracles were one of my Faves (Though The Temps took the crown IMO)....However Smokey probably earns much, much, MUCH more than ALL of us put together, despite his royalty losses....

So, no.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinococcus View Post
bravo for the Godwin point.
But I cant spell 'losing' .
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

At one point I must have been like 1 O or 2 O's.

Like OO or just O.

Fact- LOOK is similar in sound and had 2 O's.

It became about how I chose to spell it. I felt I did a marvelous job.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Like OO or just O.

If you'd throw in a 'Z' instead of the 'S'....'Loozing'..... everybody would have thought you were being cool and down with the kidz
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Pyramid View Post
The trope of the day is to feel bad for yourself and be depressed. I would like to see this change. Depression is a form of narcissism. The lyrics read me me me and more me.

I suffer from depression for 40 years. I remember being a sad child. But I do have plenty of days I remind myself to STOP thinking of my sad self. The day goes smoother. And I’d never write a song about it. I’d spare the world that.
By coincidence I've somehow found myself listening to this music when I was reading your post, and pondering the difference in attitude (between the song/vocals & ?modern malaise). I also had extreme ?depression 5-10 years. I put a question mark next to it because at one point I changed so much that I wondered how I was ever depressed. Then something weird happened and I'm positively positive creating. I act like I don't understand it now because it feels like cold water. Of course I did listen to Pink Floyd for 10+ years so there you go, and practically the only thing I would listen to. If the music sounded happy I usually didnt connect to it that much. Nowadays eh I can think about depression and laugh. Hilarious but good.

Of course I certainly easily flip around to negative on a whim instant but I dont need to, and my normal operating/feeling is somehow positive. Hmm... somehow!!!

Old 5 days ago
f33
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopypants View Post
I'm 55 years old. A month away from 56. You all sound like my mom when I was 13.
this, except im 43 and not my mom, just old djs i used to hang with

i think men go thru menopause(manopause) too from lack of testosterone.

Not saying do steroids(although test therapy has become popular lately) but exercise, do some sort of load bearing exercise, eat better and get sleep.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by f33 View Post
this, except im 43 and not my mom, just old djs i used to hang with

i think men go thru menopause(manopause) too from lack of testosterone.

Not saying do steroids(although test therapy has become popular lately) but exercise, do some sort of load bearing exercise, eat better and get sleep.
What? Then we'll all love Katy Perry?

Where's that exercise bike!...Bring it on!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
What? Then we'll all love Katy Perry?

Where's that exercise bike!...Bring it on!
I love Katy Perry, just not very keen on her music.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you'd throw in a 'Z' instead of the 'S'....'Loozing'..... everybody would have thought you were being cool and down with the kidz
“Innit” Z.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

Like OO or just O.

English is one messed up language.

I have no idea how foreigners can learn it so well.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Globish would be more appropriate.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

'It's been done'. Taken broadly, I happen to agree. That said, it must suck to hear that and be young, musical, and feel like you have something to offer.

Well, the motherlodes have been found and mined heavily, but it's just as certain that there are some uncovered nuggets lying around. And if you have no record company to please, or a scene to make, then the the time is ripe to make music that YOU can love and to do it for no other reason than that.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I find if you take tempo plus rhythym plus the 12 notes....the possibilities are infinity and beyond
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

It hasn’t been done. That’s ridiculous. The refuge of the less imaginative.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Eh, this IS the everything sucks thread.

The more of the Smokey Robinson story I hear, the more I feel sorry for the guy. Its because of other people with no clue , are making rules for you. That you probably arent even aware of. He played music, not chose going to school to be a lawyer.
Smokey? When it comes to music... I'll take the Bandit. Break all the rules all the time.

Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

It might have been done that way but it hasn’t been done this way, yet.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
It might have been done that way but it hasn’t been done this way, yet.
It's done that was everyday.

You just need to meet more people. Myself included.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search