The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mobile Truck Viability Dynamics Plugins
Old 8th October 2018
Here for the gear

Mobile Truck Viability

Opinions wanted. Curious if in these times of PT and ITB recording, does a remote truck with mains speakers, console and assorted gear have legs ?
Old 9th October 2018
Lives for gear

Check out "Steve Remote" who is basically the king of remote audio trucks.

Aura Sonic: Mobile & Location Production

Cool concept, but you've got to be pretty well connected in a very busy market to make this even have a remote chance of profitability. If I was going to do this, it would be both audio AND video. While potentially more viable, that's a much more sizable investment with a much larger crew and considerably more complexities.

An on-the cheap video/audio trailer rig in my very rough estimation would likely cost around $300K bare minimum to get started, not including the truck to haul it around.

Most of that would be on the video (cameras, switchers, com system, jib, recording decks, preview monitors, etc) and cabling side of things (audio and video splitters and various interfaces to all the different formats, SDI cables etc). If you went into less expensive but decent kit such as Blackmagic designs you could pretty much source most of the essentials on the video side from them.

On the audio side, you could put a protools rig together pretty inexpensively, but if you need real-time mixing (most likely if you do streaming events etc) you're going to need a digital console such as an Avid S3L or similar.

You'd need a very generous sized trailer (sticking with the trailer theme as it is the least expensive option), and depending on your DIY skills costs would vary in terms of soundproofing it to a reasonable level (depending on whether you intend to do any tracking inside, or if it is just to support remote live event recording)

I hope that helps... lots of posts about this from Steve Remote on the web, with many great lessons learned.
Old 10th October 2018
Lives for gear
Today's digital live desks can also record and act as full multitracks - so my 30 cents worth is - no, it ain't a viable option as a start-up.

But video - maybe, but only if you know how to do it correctly and cheaply and can link that to a multitrack. There are loads of wannabee video makers out there, you have to be the one that makes a professional product every time.
Old 15th October 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks for the reply and your input.
Old 15th October 2018
Lives for gear

to compete with the (sometimes much larger) broadcasters, i'm schlepping a 'broadcast' console to all sorts of gis/shows/concerts to record, do live and/or broadcast mixes; goes into any van as any other large sr desk (yet has much more options) but doesn't nearly cost as much as renting a fully equipped ob van. for larger projects, i team up with a video engineer who does the same in his territory.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search