The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
When is it too much? Direct Injection & Re-amp Boxes
Old 19th August 2018
Deleted 6ccb844
When is it too much?

I gotta admit over the years I've become obsessive compulsive about audio..

I'm about to invest another very large sum into my setup, which at this point is only for me as I've not recorded another band in close to a decade.

So I gotta question the fine line between obsession and reality, I have a very good ITB setup.. Room well treated, cracking set of monitors (Trident's / Dynaudio's), a good selection of mic's from ISK to Neumann classics.

Converters are good (MOTU 1248).. That's enough right?

Well I bought a cheap mixer with some Lexicon verb's and it's all kinda spiralled from there. The quality of the board wasn't fantastic but it had a few key ingredients that I really liked..

The phase relationship when panning for e.g., I didn't loose anything in the way of forward momentum but everything was more "out of the way".. Which really helped with a track / guitars in LCR.

The effects were really dimensional sounding, I can't say I've tried the Lexicon plugs but the MX200? Type dual effect engine built into this board sounded huge. Sure I bet they can be beaten by plugs but in context with the mixer it was great.

I promise this isn't an ITB vs. OTB thing, it ain't a digital vs. analog thing.. It's an am I not seeing the wood through tree's thing? Because I've heard great tracks come from such a wide and diverse range of setups. The only consistancy is what happens when I TRY to go ITB..

It's not a "sonic" quality thing either, I find ITB punchy / clear / strong.. I had my Shelford patched into my MOTU, stuck a bass into the RNDI side and it sounded like rolling thunder. Technically, I know it's "good" but I came to record some vox and I'm pining over the crappy mixer in the corner.

I put up two mic's for acoustic / vox, slapped on some verb / delay through the mixer and started playing a couple of weeks back.. It's the first time in a long time I was actually happy to just enjoy what I was doing instead of obessesing..

Maybe I am just comfortable working in a more "retro" style setup? Maybe a lot of it is psychological anomalies?. All I really know is it's costing me a fortune..! I'm about to remove the issues with using a "cheap" board and replace it with a "proper" setup..

Any tips? Anyone had the same issues? Did people find a way to adjust? Or should I just accept the path and literally go for broke?

Last edited by Deleted 6ccb844; 20th August 2018 at 12:03 AM..
Old 31st August 2018
Lives for gear

I’ve thought about this same as you and came to the conclusion of........
YOLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD View Post
I gotta admit over the years I've become obsessive compulsive about audio..

I'm about to invest another very large sum into my setup, which at this point is only for me as I've not recorded another band in close to a decade.

So I gotta question the fine line between obsession and reality, I have a very good ITB setup.. Room well treated, cracking set of monitors (Trident's / Dynaudio's), a good selection of mic's from ISK to Neumann classics.

Converters are good (MOTU 1248).. That's enough right?

Well I bought a cheap mixer with some Lexicon verb's and it's all kinda spiralled from there. The quality of the board wasn't fantastic but it had a few key ingredients that I really liked..

The phase relationship when panning for e.g., I didn't loose anything in the way of forward momentum but everything was more "out of the way".. Which really helped with a track / guitars in LCR.

The effects were really dimensional sounding, I can't say I've tried the Lexicon plugs but the MX200? Type dual effect engine built into this board sounded huge. Sure I bet they can be beaten by plugs but in context with the mixer it was great.

I promise this isn't an ITB vs. OTB thing, it ain't a digital vs. analog thing.. It's an am I not seeing the wood through tree's thing? Because I've heard great tracks come from such a wide and diverse range of setups. The only consistancy is what happens when I TRY to go ITB..

It's not a "sonic" quality thing either, I find ITB punchy / clear / strong.. I had my Shelford patched into my MOTU, stuck a bass into the RNDI side and it sounded like rolling thunder. Technically, I know it's "good" but I came to record some vox and I'm pining over the crappy mixer in the corner.

I put up two mic's for acoustic / vox, slapped on some verb / delay through the mixer and started playing a couple of weeks back.. It's the first time in a long time I was actually happy to just enjoy what I was doing instead of obessesing..

Maybe I am just comfortable working in a more "retro" style setup? Maybe a lot of it is psychological anomalies?. All I really know is it's costing me a fortune..! I'm about to remove the issues with using a "cheap" board and replace it with a "proper" setup..

Any tips? Anyone had the same issues? Did people find a way to adjust? Or should I just accept the path and literally go for broke?
Old 1st September 2018
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoggin View Post
I’ve thought about this same as you and came to the conclusion of........
YOLO
Ha, you're not wrong.. I ended up splashing out anyway, I suppose it's better than getting takeaways or punishing my liver with copious amounts of beer.
Old 2nd September 2018
Lives for gear

I just worked on a Mackie Onyx with Lexicon MX200 today (live sound). It’s really fast and intuitive to work on a board! It’s also nice when there’s a division of labor — musicians focus on music, sound guy focuses on sound. So easy. Self-recording can be kind of a drag — especially when agonizing over every little move!

I think the best recordings are made more or less by instinct. That is, instinct informed by experience and guided by good taste. Still, there is a confidence and quickness to the decisions made, with little second-guessing.

It’s hard to move that fast by yourself... you’ve got your guitar on one knee, while trying to reposition mic, headphone tangled, reach over to move mouse...it’s a pain in the butt and takes you out of the headspace that leads to magical performances.

I guess my point is — go for it! If you’re enjoying the work and fully committed while working on the board, that emotion is going to come through in the final product. And it’s going to lead to greater momentum. That, to me, is far more valuable than sonic perfection.

Don’t obsess over what sounds better but what feels better. Plenty of great sounding, impressively engineered records leave me feeling cold.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search