The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Advice for GS member facing visual impairment
Old 8th July 2018
Here for the gear

Advice for GS member facing visual impairment

Hi, I'm the wife of an extremely talented musician and producer. Due to recent health complications, he is facing the reality of long term visual impairment. As I am sure you can imagine, he is distraught right now. We are waiting for a referral to Ophthalmology, but in the meantime, I wanted to seek some advice. He really values his privacy, so I don't want to say who he is.

At the moment, he is convinced this will mean an end to his career. I know it doesn't need to be, as there seem to be plenty blind and visually impaired people making and producing music. I know making music will be a challenge if his vision doesn't improve, but not impossible. Are there any VI or blind GS members on here, who can offer advice? Or any recommendations on where to seek support? He uses Logic Pro, amongst other things. He has various synths, vintage and new and modular gear. In time, I can provide more info about his set up, but at the moment he doesn't know I'm posting here.
Old 8th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundRobin View Post
Hi, I'm the wife of an extremely talented musician and producer. Due to recent health complications, he is facing the reality of long term visual impairment. As I am sure you can imagine, he is distraught right now. We are waiting for a referral to Ophthalmology, but in the meantime, I wanted to seek some advice. He really values his privacy, so I don't want to say who he is.

At the moment, he is convinced this will mean an end to his career. I know it doesn't need to be, as there seem to be plenty blind and visually impaired people making and producing music. I know making music will be a challenge if his vision doesn't improve, but not impossible. Are there any VI or blind GS members on here, who can offer advice? Or any recommendations on where to seek support? He uses Logic Pro, amongst other things. He has various synths, vintage and new and modular gear. In time, I can provide more info about his set up, but at the moment he doesn't know I'm posting here.
Hey! Sorry to hear about your husbands health problems, best wishes to your husband and your family.

Is music your husbands full time job and source of main income officially? I am a ex registered nurse in my home country, and I've heard of cases where it was possible to hire an assistant and have insurance/health care cover the wages at least partially due to the disability affecting your income. Not heard of cases related to music, but shouldn't be impossible. Really depends on the country, insurance policies etc. but you should look into it if the situation goes worse and you can't find a solution where he can work independently.
Old 8th July 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollio View Post
Hey! Sorry to hear about your husbands health problems, best wishes to your husband and your family.

Is music your husbands full time job and source of main income officially? I am a ex registered nurse in my home country, and I've heard of cases where it was possible to hire an assistant and have insurance/health care cover the wages at least partially due to the disability affecting your income. Not heard of cases related to music, but shouldn't be impossible. Really depends on the country, insurance policies etc. but you should look into it if the situation goes worse and you can't find a solution where he can work independently.
Thanks. We're in the UK, so don't have health insurance. He is self-employed and it is his main source of income. I don't think our income would stretch to a paid assistant.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search