The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How to prevent emotional feedback loops ?!
Old 23rd June 2018
Gear Head

How to prevent emotional feedback loops ?!

Hi everybody Im Max and I do music for quite some time now.
I have the problem that all the music i write and work at puts me back in the state where it was writen.
Lets say i write a song about my girlfriend that left me. First its cool to write this song to get it off my chest. But as i Mix it, record it properly and all that stuff, I feel like the sad emotions are like a self fullfilling mantra and I get even more sad about stuff. I tend to do mostly emotional music, I dont know why. I suffered from depression recently. I just feel I want to see the good things in life. But my music remembers me of the sad moments i went thru. Its amazing, the harmonies in my songs hit me like a spear. I think on the one hand its amazing, and the most powerful music ive ever done. On the other hand I feel like this is evil stuff. Its so important to be aware that the sun always shines, sometimes theres just clouds. But those song the make the impression that its all lost, its all over. I dont know what to do with that work, I dont want to put it out there, because it could put other people down, and also it puts me down o0
Shall i just throw it away and do cheesy pop, party, sunshine music ? ( I dont realy want to :D )

can someone relate ?
Old 23rd June 2018
Lives for gear
My suggestion would be to use those emotions in the song. Isn't that what music is?

For example when I'm angry it feels so good to write an angry song, like I'm kicking the crap out of an invisible punching bag in my mind. And I feel so much better when after I'm done.

One of mine (went #1 on the Aggro charts back in the day):

Old 23rd June 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
My suggestion would be to use those emotions in the song. Isn't that what music is?
Thats what its for. But once you were angry, dont you want to leave that emotion behind and go on with your life? Atm i feel like I cant do that.

Lets say you write this angry song about a person. And you calm yourself not to beat up this person. But because this song is flying around on your computer you have to calm yourself multiple times instead of just once. Its just annoying :D
Old 24th June 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rat010104 View Post
Thats what its for. But once you were angry, dont you want to leave that emotion behind and go on with your life? Atm i feel like I cant do that.

Lets say you write this angry song about a person. And you calm yourself not to beat up this person. But because this song is flying around on your computer you have to calm yourself multiple times instead of just once. Its just annoying :D
No, because I already released that anger doing that song. And any time I feel angry about that subject ever again, I can just listen to the song again.

Of course there is some pain that cannot be taken away, and shouldn't be.

Old 24th June 2018
Deleted cec0d5b
My advice...? Either record the song and then shelf it for 6-12 months (or however long it takes for you to be over your girlfriend, for example) before you come back to mix it or... write the song but don't record it for another 12 months. By then you should have a detachment and you'll be able to view your song more impartially.

Absolutely use the negative times to write your songs, but that doesn't mean you have to record, mix and master them whilst you're still going through it. That sounds like pure torture. In the past I wrote many a song about something negative that happened in my life but didn't record them until years later. Some are still unrecorded. These days if I were to play them there's not the same emotional attachment there - I see them purely as songs.
Old 9th July 2018
Gear Guru

Write it, record it, and hire someone else to handle the details (mixing, mastering, etc.)?
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rat010104 View Post
But my music remembers me of the sad moments i went thru. Its amazing, the harmonies in my songs hit me like a spear. I think on the one hand its amazing, and the most powerful music ive ever done.

can someone relate ?
I'm going through this right now, for the first time ever despite years of making music. First time I've ever done a project where I'm the singer and songwriter, I've always found singers to collab with or produced other artists or songwritten for others.

Most of the time I can detach myself for the production process and approach things more objectively, but some days there are certain songs I'd just rather not work on. The emotional fuel for one song is a recently lost pet, for example (though you'd never know it listening to the song), and for whatever reason it kills me sometimes. I make sure to get uplifting vibes even for the stuff that's fueled by sadder stuff, but it still cuts sometimes.

Meditation definitely helps. I'm less into the cheesy sort of guided meditation stuff, what I enjoy (or find value in, the process itself is actullly quite tough and can be a chore) is the focus exercise stuff, which is essentially like weightlifting for your brain to strengthen your ability to control focus and direct your thoughts without your brain pulling you in other directions.

This has helped me when I feel that emotional sweep while working on something during a non-emotional part of the record-making process, I'm more able to control and re-direct my focus to where it needs to be. My meditation exercising has increased since starting this project.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search