The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I’m having trouble justifying College to myself Video Editing Software
Old 2 weeks ago
Math, engineering, medical and law are the reasons you go to college. Basket weaving you can learn on your own. Welders and plumbers make very good $ in 'merica.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadAnimemes View Post
I’m 19 going on 20, I’ve been through one semester of college as an open major, taking audio engineering courses and gen-eds. I have 20 credits of gen-eds from high school. Long story short, I didn’t enjoy it and am questioning going back. I don’t want a career in music specifically, just want to do audio for a living. Live events, broadcast, television, recording, whatever. I just love audio. I feel like I’m waisitng my time waiting around at College for another 3-4 years when I could just put myself to work. But even if I do Nail The Mix classes, find an apprenticeship I can work at for little or free, and work a management job to help fund all of it, my parents still think it’s a bad decision not to go to school at the same time.

What are your expiriences with school? Is the debt worth it for someone who wants to work in entertainment?
Perhaps if you could share some thoughts about what you didn't like, others could offer more specific suggestions for you to consider.

It used to be that a student could pay for college with scholarships and a part time job, but the cost of a college education is so high in the USA today that it puts students in the unfortunate position of having to carefully assess the cost against expected career earnings. Otherwise, it is possible to graduate with a degree that won't ever pay back their student loans. I've seen people with $200k student loans and $30k salaries that won't ever be enough to pay back their student loans.

I'd be interested to see how many college admissions counselors and academic advisors would pass a basic personal finance course if they were forced to take one.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Haha censoring again

Gearslutz will never learn people do not like censorship
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Math, engineering, medical and law are the reasons you go to college.
Those are hardly the only ones...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Math, engineering, medical and law are the reasons you go to college. Basket weaving you can learn on your own. Welders and plumbers make very good $ in 'merica.
These are often referred to as STEM majors: Science, Technology, Engineering, Math. Medical and Law school are graduate programs. The legal profession is over-staffed and there are too many schools, so its like a liberal arts degree, only for three more years after college. Medical schools control the number of graduates, so once one gets in, they have a pretty good shot at a high paying job.

Godwin's Law is simply an observation or theory: As the number of posts in a flame war increase, the probability that Hitler will be mentioned approaches 1.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just a few thoughts...

Education changes you.

What you do for a living changes you.

Parents tell their kids to go to college and do something normal for a living because that's what you are supposed to do. Those people who are driven and talented just go on with their laser beam focus and achieve success from working hard and having a lot of talent. Steering someone toward the trades who seems disinterested in college is another one of these things parents are supposed to do.

I think at the end of the day it comes down to what do you want your day job to be that supports your art. Because unless you are very lucky, a hard worker and very talented, your day job is likely to be it for you. And, if you succeed, congrats. If not, then dammit man you gave it a try.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
These are often referred to as STEM majors: Science, Technology, Engineering, Math. Medical and Law school are graduate programs. The legal profession is over-staffed and there are too many schools, so its like a liberal arts degree, only for three more years after college. Medical schools control the number of graduates, so once one gets in, they have a pretty good shot at a high paying job.

Godwin's Law is simply an observation or theory: As the number of posts in a flame war increase, the probability that Hitler will be mentioned approaches 1.
For it to really pay off, STEM majors have to do what professionals in all other fields do - go to grad school.

That's where your real professional training takes place.

No undergraduate major in the US is particularly good to launch a career from.

It's in grad school where you get the certifications, the actual engagement with companies needing professionals in your field, the network of connections you'll need to start your career hunt after graduating.

True even in the liberal arts; they just haven't managed the pipeline into college professorships in the field as rigorously as, say, medicine, so there's a huge overproduction of graduates from English to History to Philosophy that guarantees low wages for all. Same with law.

If it were all designed like med school, where sure you get $300k or more into debt (in the US), but you're in that rigorously-controlled production pipeline that insures a position and competitive salary when you get out, and then welcome to the guild (AMA) for the rest of your life, there'd be less of a problem.

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
The legal profession is over-staffed and there are too many schools, so its like a liberal arts degree, only for three more years after college. Medical schools control the number of graduates, so once one gets in, they have a pretty good shot at a high paying job.
Law is not remotely like a liberal arts degree. It's sort of like being hazed.

Otherwise your comments are fairly accurate.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
For it to really pay off, STEM majors have to do what professionals in all other fields do - go to grad school.

Sorry, these statements are incorrect. Many "STEM" grads stop at a Bachelors and do very well for themselves, although I do think it's harder to do so now then in years past. Further, professional training mostly takes place on the job (hence the name), or perhaps with certification programs.

Quote:
It's in grad school where you get the certifications, the actual engagement with companies needing professionals in your field, the network of connections you'll need to start your career hunt after graduating.
? In what major? Those I'm familiar with don't give certifications in grad school, simply the grad degree. Certifications are a separate thing. And last I saw/heard (maybe things have changed somehow) you don't get much in the way of networking/connections in grad school. That might vary with diff degrees or fields also, though.
Old 2 weeks ago
f33
Gear Maniac

everyone should go to college, however its only worth it if you focus and keep in mind you are there to get a job.

not party and dj. which is what i did. which is dumb.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You have plenty of company. Like anything else it's a question of degree. As long as you understand the importance of getting good grades and graduating and take care of that business first, nothing wrong with having fun with whatever spare time you have too. Unfortunately, youth and stupidity go together like peas and carrots.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

That is not my experience, and I have some familiarity with these things.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozraves View Post
Law is not remotely like a liberal arts degree. It's sort of like being hazed.

Otherwise your comments are fairly accurate.
I have some familiarity with this as well and my comments are entirely accurate.

Edit: Any of my comments on these subjects are based on personal knowledge of college graduates in the American Midwest. How things are in other countries, I can't speak to.

Last edited by ponzi; 2 weeks ago at 04:14 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

First World Problems: The textbooks for two classes cost $400. That's just for the books and not for the tuition. I know I'm better off than most people trying to get back into school, but for everybody else, those costs are exorbitant.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
A BS in Computer Science from a good school plus a couple summer internships is pretty darn close to a sure thing. No MS or PhD or certifications needed — your GitHub account and a few recommendations will do.

Electrical engineering and certain niche degrees (petroleum engineering, ag science) are also solid.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search