The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Listening to good music is discouraging
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Unhappy Listening to good music is discouraging

Makes me feel like a hack in every way.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Maybe you should listen to what's on the radio instead. You'll feel much more confident about your abilities then.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I prefer to think of it as, listening to any music -- good or bad -- is encouraging...because if I'm listening to good music I think "Damn, I need to up my game!" and I stop listening and go practice my craft. And if I'm listening to bad music I think "WTF? Why am I wasting my time on this crap? I could be practicing my craft!"

Either way it's win-win.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drycappuccinoguy View Post
Maybe you should listen to what's on the radio instead. You'll feel much more confident about your abilities then.
There are some amazing pop music, IMHO. Lord's Pure Heroine sounds great … and I think it was mixed in the box, too.

The other side of the coin would be, if it came too easy, where would the fun be in that? But man, I'm embarrassingly bad … but I love music too much to quit.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
I prefer to think of it as, listening to any music -- good or bad -- is encouraging...because if I'm listening to good music I think "Damn, I need to up my game!" and I stop listening and go practice my craft. And if I'm listening to bad music I think "WTF? Why am I wasting my time on this crap? I could be practicing my craft!"

Either way it's win-win.
My mind goes into some dark places when I compare myself to what I listen to.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I often get that sinking feeling when I hear great music, especially if it's new.

However, as it happens, if it's a live performance, I instead get very excited to try new stuff out, and become more productive as opposed to less.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search