The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Do You Believe Your "Vibe" Can Affect Your Equipment?
Old 28th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
nothing has broken in my studio for over 4 years, what does this mean?
You clearly lack "vibe".
Old 28th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
nothing has broken in my studio for over 4 years, what does this mean?
Some people are natural-born "breakers" and you're not one of them. And nobody but you has engineered in your studio for... just a guess... over 4 years.
Old 29th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Some people are natural-born "breakers" and you're not one of them. And nobody but you has engineered in your studio for... just a guess... over 4 years.
actually had a few people in my studio, but yes mostly me haha
Old 24th June 2019
Here for the gear

I do believe this. I bought a second hand tape recorder about a month ago and when I arrived home I noticed someone had written on it with a knife "LUCIFER WAS HERE". I didn't pay much attention to this but when I tried to record with it nothing sounded quite right and it ended up breaking not long after that. The vibe in the house wasn't great after that, my cats refused to enter the computer room and I began to have nightmares. Luckily it had warranty so I went in and got another tape deck, I'm recording some cassettes right now and everything sounds good.

Coincidence? Maybe, but I know I ain't recording my mixtapes on that devil shyt.
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

Conversely, if someone has no effect on a Theremin you should quietly back away.
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

I experienced this quite a bit with a friend of mine - as we're both of a rather nervous or agitated nature it seems that we encountered quite a lot of equipment malfunctions.

People like that are sometimes called 'Sliders'. Claiming to be able make the streetlight go out when they walk undeneath them....

My opinion: It's a load of bull. It's like the brand of batteries supposedly affecting the sound of guitar pedals. Of course I too will notice differences if I zero-in on it long enough - long enough to lose any perspective and 'imagining' sounds.

I think it's no accident that creative people (or people doing creative work) have a tendency to believe in those things. The ability to imagine/think up sounds is essential for artistic purposes but I guess a lot of us are mistrusting machines and so we want them to have a life of their own. Yes, say tube amps are often temperamental. But that's due to the specific technique involved and not a matter of the 'soul' of the amp.

How many times have you been in the studio with a known 'slider' when NOTHING happened, when everything operated perfectly. I would guess WAY more often than when that lone malfunction happened that still happened despite 'positive' and balanced people being in the same room and pooling their mental floss.

It's like the 'rock star dead at 27' myth. Yes, quite a few died at that age but WAY more died at a different age.

Instead of succumbing to some esoteric Hocus Pocus we are better off by servicing our equipment, making backups and regularily checking stuff in general.

Last edited by doorknocker; 25th July 2019 at 10:43 PM..
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Nut

The ghost in the machine lol. I have had many occasions where the band loaded in the night before a session, got the gear setup, got mics setup, track a quick scratch of drums or something (one shots, for example), left everything on, and came back in the next morning only to find that everything sounded totally different. Completely! Make another scratch track to compare side-by-side and it can be way off. I know, I know, there are too many variables that could be the cause. But, it never fails to surprise me and how slight environmental changes impact so much. Leaves one simply blaming "the ghost in the machine".
Old 25th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern View Post
No its the other way around. Your equipment affects your mood.
Exactly
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern View Post
No its the other way around. Your equipment affects your mood.
Yep everytime I look at my UA gear, gives me a chubby, umm Bakelight and hot tubes......
Old 25th July 2019
My post is based on the premise that 'emotional state' can affect the amount of energy we expound undertaking physical tasks; if overly emotional, more physical energy is used than necessary for the task. When we're chilled out, relaxed, and 'in-the-zone,' a more appropriate level of physical energy is expounded for tasks. Less physical energy is wasted. This can be quite subtle.

Generally, 99.9% of the time, I'm calm and relaxed in my home studio. Base level; no physical energy wasted in operation. A few days ago I needed to reboot my computer and this involved switching off the Focal CMS40 monitors first, then the KRK Ergo monitor controller, then the Focusrite Saffire (connected by S/PDIF to the Ergo and firewire to PC). In addition there is a separate pair of Mackie XR624 monitors connected to the Ergo and these are in 'auto-on' mode and triggered by a signal over a certain threshold.

Normally, in my base emotional state, I can switch off the Focals - with the Mackie's already off - and then click off the Ergo's rear power switch without triggering the Mackie's auto-on.

As mentioned, I needed to reboot the computer...bit of a PITA due to workflow pressure: I wasn't angry or upset emotionally but I was a tiny bit exasperated (an emotion I know many in home studios will relate to). As I clicked off the Ergo the Mackie's switched on (via the auto-on) - something had triggered them both. So I'm not suggesting anything supernatural like 'vibe energy' or 'cosmic truth' was directly transferred from my emotional state through the electronics - but at an audio engineering level: how did this happen?

Does the wasted physical energy of my emotional state (mild, controlled exasperation) that is transfered into physical pressure (Newtons/torque/psi) create an electrical surge that triggers the Mackie's auto-on? Is my gear faulty?

Since then I've been attentive and made sure I switch off the Ergo with mindfulness and using the appropriate amount of physical energy - and the Mackie's stay-off.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search