The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What to do with lazy client?
Old 4th December 2017
Here for the gear

What to do with lazy client?

I have a client that I've worked with several times now, but during each session he gets a little lazier with his performance, knowing that I'll fix it. It's at the point where I'm dreading any future work with him, because it means more and more fixing.

How do I handle this? I'm not a big shot, so I can't afford to burn any bridges.
Old 4th December 2017
charge him more, slightly lol
Old 4th December 2017
Lives for gear

Explain to him a performance doesn't get better with fixing, just (at best) more "tidy". The more is done to polish a turd, the more it begins to appear like a photo that has been photoshoped to hell and back, weird, plastic-like, all about details, but wack in the big picture.
Old 4th December 2017
Here for the gear

I think these are both good suggestions. For me personally, it feels great to know that I really nailed a track and it's not someone's mouse that did it for me. I'll have to emphasize this to them, as well as getting better at estimating project costs as opposed to daily rates. Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsparks View Post
it feels great to know that I really nailed a track and it's not someone's mouse that did it for me.
^^^This. One of the reasons I still gravitate towards analog tape is that whenever I listen to recordings I've done in DAWs, whether they're my music or just client's pieces I've engineered, I can't help remembering all the tricks & fixes that I did in the DAW when I hear them. It's like I'm incapable of hearing the music on its own without also hearing the litany of decisions that went into cobbling it together.
Old 4th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsparks View Post
I have a client that I've worked with several times now, but during each session he gets a little lazier with his performance, knowing that I'll fix it. It's at the point where I'm dreading any future work with him, because it means more and more fixing.

How do I handle this? I'm not a big shot, so I can't afford to burn any bridges.
Honesty is the best thing. Tell him what you think. Maybe he doesn't realize what he is doing. People/musicians get in ruts and sometimes we need someone to tell us to "wake the F#$&k up"

Also explain that the performance is just as important to the sound as everything else that is involved in it. Its the truth!!

Cj
Old 20th June 2018
Lives for gear

Theres a big difference between a music fan and a music engineer. People become engineers because they love solving problems, while fans just want to chill and listen to the music. Decide which one of those you are. If you want to chill then chill, but if you want to engineer then roll up your sleeves and get to work. Charge the guy accordingly for your hard work, and that might make him fix his own stuff the next time. You may want to mention it to him that you are having to do more and more repair work, but I see no reason for complaining.
Old 10th July 2018
I would explain to the client why it is worth paying your producer AND engineer rate while you are recording and pushing towards getting the takes to the right place. That way, it will cost him far less, for post production mixing time, which takes you more billable hours and costs more money.

If they are truly lazy workers, when it comes to producing the music well, then I would re consider working with them at all.

Peace
a.j.b
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search