The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rehab for GAS Addicts....
Old 23rd November 2017
Rehab for GAS Addicts....

Jaysus Ive been buying gear like a crack ***** and am now feeling a bit sick of all the GAS’ing. I’ve built an amazing setup, but feel totally burned out with buying gear! First world problem, I know. It’s not like I rich or anything, i’ve just sold a lot of stuff I didn’t need to buy a ton of gear that was on special (I’m a sucker for deals).

A part of me wants to sell everything, but I just need to focus on other stuff. What are your tactics on avoiding buying gear you don’t need?
Old 23rd November 2017
Deleted b598644
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwarepimp View Post
What are your tactics on avoiding buying gear you don’t need?
Common sense
Old 23rd November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldLangSine View Post
I don't think there's an easy answer. It's a phase/learning experience some people just have to go through. When people finally assemble a great set up that works for them and getting new stuff only messes that up... when there is overpowering regret for the Xth time and realization that more stuff is only complicating/taking up space/not bringing happiness... over that process people can cut down or in some cases eliminate the GAS. Finally, if the focus is on making music instead of buying stuff, GAS relief comes.

For a deeper view, check out an interview with Carl Jung entitled "Americans Must Say No." It's about saying no to living a life that is not truly in accordance with one's individuality. It is of universal application (not just for Americans).
We’ll i’m definitely finding that any more gear and it’ll pi$$ me off and get in the way of making music. I suppose my GAS’ing is due to the fact that when i made music in the 90’s I had the WORST setup known to man that was pretty much unusable (Atari ST, S2000 with no storage or FX or outputs or really any samples, mixing to Minidisc through a DJ mixer - it was hell). So in these days of being able to buy hardware at 10 cents on the dollar, I’m like a kid in a candy store lol I’m at 50+ U of gear and counting....

Thanks for the advice. I’ll look at at the Carl Jung info too.

Thanks again
Old 23rd November 2017
Gear Nut

I find having to ask my wife for the money helps
Old 25th November 2017
Quote:
Jaysus Ive been buying gear like a crack ***** and am now feeling a bit sick of all the GAS’ing. I’ve built an amazing setup, but feel totally burned out with buying gear! First world problem, I know. It’s not like I rich or anything, i’ve just sold a lot of stuff I didn’t need to buy a ton of gear that was on special (I’m a sucker for deals).

A part of me wants to sell everything, but I just need to focus on other stuff. What are your tactics on avoiding buying gear you don’t need?
Pics or it didn't happen.
Old 25th November 2017
It’s not a disease. It’s passion and obsession. Both are awesome and in some ways nessessary for art.

Just give in and own it. It’s only making you feel like crap because you don’t have what you want yet.

And we all know what you want: EVERYTHING.

It’s Black Friday. I suggest retail therapy, possible some Chandler outboard or a few new mics for the locker. Maybe those high end monitors you’ve been gushing over. Buying gear will make you feel better. Just do it.

Wife and kids? They just don’t understand. You need to fight for the things that complete you. If applicable, I recommend divorce, possibly hiring a professional hitman. You might be able to afford that console with the insurance money.
Old 25th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Get in a relationship. You can then spend hours trying to defend the desire to buy something rather than actually feeling bad about buying it. **** I've been researching drums for like 4 months now, have lined up a set that I was about to start saving for, and just today my girlfriend decided that I can't get drums. So now I don't know what I want to buy or if I'll be able to buy anything I want again.
Old 25th November 2017
Deleted b598644
Another great option : get fired.
Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Learn about Bitcoin. Once you get into deflationary money, it's hard to spend on anything you don't need. (It went from around $800 at the beginning of this year to well over $8000 right now).

That said... now it's not the greatest time to get in, it's a bit toppy. But be ready when you see some major correction.

Last edited by matucha; 25th November 2017 at 07:23 PM..
Old 25th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
It’s not a disease. It’s passion and obsession. Both are awesome and in some ways nessessary for art.

Just give in and own it. It’s only making you feel like crap because you don’t have what you want yet.

And we all know what you want: EVERYTHING.

It’s Black Friday. I suggest retail therapy, possible some Chandler outboard or a few new mics for the locker. Maybe those high end monitors you’ve been gushing over. Buying gear will make you feel better. Just do it.

Wife and kids? They just don’t understand. You need to fight for the things that complete you. If applicable, I recommend divorce, possibly hiring a professional hitman. You might be able to afford that console with the insurance money.
Hahahaha great advice, bit dark, but great advice! You’re like a devil sitting on both shoulders.

BOOM!!! Today’s purchases: SSL Duende and a new WD Velociraptor 500GB.

Next up? ISA One Digital.....

I’ll never, ever stop....
Old 30th November 2017
GAS can be compared to any other type of addiction, drugs, alcohol, sex and so on.

I'm sure there's some rehab program similar to rehab for spending too much cash or overcharging credit cards.

I read on another thread that the final cure for GAS is when you have to declare bankruptcy.
Old 30th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
GAS can be compared to any other type of addiction, drugs, alcohol, sex and so on.

I'm sure there's some rehab program similar to rehab for spending too much cash or overcharging credit cards.

I read on another thread that the final cure for GAS is when you have to declare bankruptcy.
Trust me, it's no cure; it's hell. I spend every day wishing I could afford more gear but can't until my bankruptcy is paid off.
Old 30th November 2017
Ask yourself- "how productive am I being with what I've got?" Productivity to me used to be how much money my purchases brought back in. Nowadays, it's how much and what quality of music am I making to share with the public(?). Do you buy gear to collect or actually make music with?
Old 1st December 2017
Deleted b598644
i know i am more productive with half of what i once had.
Old 13th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Thinking long term when it comes to finances.

For example, if I can stop myself from spending 1-2k a year on gear for the next 5 years then I'll have an extra 5-10k in the bank. Already got a perfectly good setup, so I'd rather have the money.
Old 13th December 2017
Deleted 6ccb844
I just need one more compressor, just one more.... *Shakes*.
Old 13th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 6ccb844 View Post
I just need one more compressor, just one more.... *Shakes*.
Same here. I’m like hmmm I could just get one EQP-KT for mono duties. It arrives and i’m like, now a stereo pair would be great for mastering.... Then I’ll be GAS’ing hard on it until it arrives....
Old 14th December 2017
Lives for gear

Well if you bought bitcoin when I sent my post in this thread (two weeks ago), you'd be up 2x. You could sell half to get your investment back (and buy your compressor) and let the rest fly wherever this things going to fly in the next years.

Yep, it's more risky the higher it goes in this run. So be careful.
Old 14th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
Well if you bought bitcoin when I sent my post in this thread (two weeks ago), you'd be up 2x. You could sell half to get your investment back (and buy your compressor) and let the rest fly wherever this things going to fly in the next years.

Yep, it's more risky the higher it goes in this run. So be careful.
I wish I bought $100 in Bitcoin whenever i first heard about in 2008 as I’d b worth a fortune right now...
Old 14th December 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Jaysus Ive been buying gear like a crack ***** and am now feeling a bit sick of all the GAS’ing. I’ve built an amazing setup
the question is: what are you doing with that setup?
are you recording, like all the time?

or are you "waiting" until your setup is completely "there" before you embark on your most important projects?

if you are using the gear, I don't see a problem
if you are just amassing gear, I see a huge problem

Quote:
I am an engineer. I keep an eye on my bottom line. I buy things on the basis of needing them to do the jobs that I get. I would 'like' to buy a remote recording 24 channel black box recorder, for example, but I don't get enough of those kinds of jobs, so I don't. I bought some new really nice SDCs because I have been getting more classical recording. It was justified because that's what I am doing. And they come in handy for acoustic guitars and so on.

I don't have any crap, I have at least one good thing for every 'position'. But not a lot of 'extras'.

I look at it like: how many gigs does it take to pay off that new mic? Every time I can take a job and not need to buy anything new to do it, it's a sort of mini-victory for the old bottom line. A confirmation that my kit is 'complete' even if it is not yet (and never will be) 'perfect'.
Old 14th March 2019
Here for the gear

Addiction 101... sounds like we fit the criteria. Just replace drugs with equipment. Just as expensive and the high is still temporary :/
Old 18th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

These days I ask myself if I will do right by the gear. What I mean to say is, as a new age soundtrack hobbyist dude, do I really need all this stuff for my output. I look at some guys who have awesome gear lists and as far as I know produce nothing but soundcloud noodlings. If they feel good about that more power to them For me I'd feel like a fool. It's overkill. I wouldn't buy a corvette so I can go grocery shopping.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search