The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Shipping expensive equipment
Old 17th September 2017
Gear Maniac
Shipping expensive equipment

I'm selling one of my vintage guitars and was offered a nice price, however the buyer lives in Mexico and has a private PO box in on this side (U.S.) of the boarder.
He wants me to ship it Fed Ex or UPS after I mentioned I would ship it USPS. I personally like USPS because I've never had a problem with them. I looked up the shipping address on google maps and the place looks sketchy from the street cam view.

Does anyone have advice on shipping and what scams could possibly arise. Of course I will not ship until I receive a paypal payment, but after that could anything go wrong.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 20th September 2017
I would just warn the buyer that it's on him if he's not present when delivery takes place. I haven't shipped outside the U.S. but a friendly warning can't hurt.

I found this info which may be helpful.

https://pe.usps.com/text/imm/mo_012.htm

Cheers!
Old 20th September 2017
Lives for gear

I think if you make sure you've been paid, and insure the shipment, and require a signature for delivery, you will be OK with either FedEx or UPS. I recently shipped some expensive gear with them and there was no problem. Pricey, but it got there. My 2c. Good luck.
Old 21st September 2017
Oh yes before I forget, get insurance just in case something bad happens. It's usually fairly inexpensive and covers well.
Old 21st September 2017
Gear Maniac
Thanks for the advice guys, very helpful!
Old 21st September 2017
Deleted User
I've bought and sold/shipped a lot of gear from overseas without any issues. Yes, insurance, signature, double boxing with extra packing and everything individually wrapped inside to avoid scratches etc. and very importantly, document EVERYTHING in clear and thorough detail. Take lots of photos/video of the unit working, packing and at the shipping center counter 9or when they pick it up).. basically, everything from start to finish in case anything happens and you need to do a PayPal dispute where they review evidence to make a decision.

About the PO box.. is it the same address used with the buyers PayPal account? If not, that could be a major problem!!
Old 27th September 2017
You might want to have the shipper package the Item. I shipped a power amp in a box another power amp had arrived in. It was damaged during shipping. Of course I took the Item back. I got no compensation from the insurance. They stated the Item was improperly packaged, that the box was the wrong strength of box, for shipping an item at that weight.
Luckily nothing was wrong with the amp other than a bent rack ear.
Old 24th December 2017
Here for the gear

Yeah I've learned through the years of shipping various things through all the different carriers (UPS, Fedex, USPS) that the insurance is a scam. And no it's not cheap on expensive gear! They almost never pay for damages even when you pay them to package it for you (UPS). I've heard that the only way they will pay is if they loose the package all together, which doesn't happen very much. Never happened to me. My general rule of thumb is to wrap the unit in at least two inches of bubble wrap, then place two more inches of packing peanuts all around it in the box. The trick is getting the perfect size box. Uline carries most sizes but you usually have to order a minimum of a dozen boxes from them which isn't cheap. Lastly, instead of paying for insurance just pay for it to get there quicker and get the signature on delivery option. I've noticed that if you get the slower options the package usually gets shelved somewhere which in turn means there is more handling which equal to more chances of damage. I've also had packages forgotten on a shelf somewhere that took even longer to deliver.

My worst experience was when I bought a BAE 1023 on Ebay. The guy got it packaged by a UPS store and insured it for the full price$$$. When I got it they had put the preamp and power supply in a box with a couple little pieces of thin bubble wrap (must have been left over pieces) and put that into a larger box. The power supply bounced inside damaging the preamp badly. I refused to buy it so UPS told me to put it back in the box and they would come by to pick it up. Well, by the time the guy got it back it was even more damaged. They then got him to get a quote for repairs. The guy lucky lived right near the BAE factory, which would of probably required some additional shipping if it wasn't the case. Well after all that they still refused to pay. So I lost out on a great deal and the guy was soo pissed he ended up deleting his Ebay account.

I'd love to hear some stories of people getting their due from claiming their insurance, cause i've never heard one...
Old 26th December 2017
came across this..
TROUBLESHOOTERS: UPS customers denied damage claims after failing to follow packing guidelines - WWAY TV3

yes looks like they are denying payments even on shipments they do the packaging on. They claim your not buying insurance your paying for a higher declaration.. total BS.. looks like some class action law suits are in play.
Old 28th December 2017
Gear Maniac
update: my shipment, of course, went fine through usps.

I don't particularly trust UPS as I have had stuff stolen right out of the box. Literally had an empty box delivered to me with the seal broken and resealed. Never had an issue with usps or fedex.
Old 3rd January 2018
Lives for gear

I picked up some gear today from the UPS Store. If it requires a signature, and you know you`re prolly not going to be there, make a UPS account and they will leave it at your store of choosing so you can sign later.
Old 4th February 2018
If you are worried about the person not being home when it gets deliver, deliver it to his business, if possible. That is not always possible, but its safer as there is always someone there to sign for it.

CJ
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search