The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Ditching school in order to become full time audio engineer.
Old 14th August 2017
Here for the gear

Ditching school in order to become full time audio engineer.

Hi.
Even despite the fact that this might be too ambitious thing to do, I started considering completly ditching my school if I won't pass a year.
I said that it might be too ambitious because I've been mixing for barely 2 months, I've been just grinding it. Finishing about 3-4 mixes a day always trying new things, experimenting, watching a bunch of tutorials.

I'll start with my school first.

I'm at second year of vocational school, still have to pass
Math correction exam before passing current year. If I pass I'll still have 2 more years left (I'll be 20 yrs old when I finish it).
For about a year I've been having memory issues which make learning somewhat difficult for me, also I think I might be having a slight ADHD since I can't focus when reading something, it just becomes a mush of words and on sometimes(rarely) getting very angry over nothing, and have to keep my hands busy most of the time.
Teachers aren't problem at all. All of them like me, I'm not a greatest student but I'm a polite and calm person. Classmates, same story, everyone likes me. I guess I'm a easliy "likeable" person even though I'm not too talkative.
That would be it for school I think.

When it comes to my personal life, without getting into to many details.
I'm not the most social person, I feel uncomfortable in huge groups of unknown people or people that I don't want to be friends with. I can talk for days with someone about music, and stuff like that though.
I can't life without music, I have to listen to something to keep my mind focused.
Introvert to some degree I'd say. Life wise it's good enough, I don't lack anything.

Now moving onto an actual topic of becoming full time engineer and making living out of it.

I live in Poland, living is very cheap compared to countries like UK, USA and western europe. Renting an apartment is about 1400-1800 PLN a month with bills, however I'd rather stay in my mom's apartment and save money to actually buy a place to live. If I'd be able to mix about about six songs a month I'd be able to live a decent life on my own as just a mixing and mastering engineer. As of my desired priced per song is 100$/£/€ I'd be making from 360 to 470 PLN per song, that sums up to 2160 to 2860PLN a month.
In about a year my father will give his current car to my brother(if he gets driving license) and I'll get equivalent of cars value in cash. That would be about 3,650$. If I will make a little bit of money prior to that, I might be able rent a space and turn it into a studio, buy microphones, make .

Having money and life side of things, here is another thing I'd like to point out.
My first client that I'm currently working for owns a small label with bunch bands in roster. I'm mixing his single for free, I do it in order to have a satisified customer that will comeback in the future.
Since he owns a label with bands that are close to genre I look forward to specialize in (not really, I want to do brutal/tech death metal and stuff, and there are like pop punk, post hardcore and metalcore bands for now, I do like them though, metalcore and post hardcore are genres that pretty much kickstarted my music interest), I will try to ask him if he would like to team up. I'll do production for bands and help him with leading the label.Or atleast send his band's to me for mixing.

This thread might be a complete mess, but English isn't my first language, and I forgot how to write few words and so forth.
Anyways...
Thanks for giving it a read, and sharing your opinions on it.
Means an awful lot to me.
Old 14th August 2017
Lives for gear

Google this:

experiential learning

Not everyone learns the same way. I'm an experiential learner. I've done OK. I just wish I had known about the less academic but equally valid alternatives to the traditional classroom.

Good luck.
Old 14th August 2017
Gear Addict

Stay in school!! Do whatever you have to do to pass and finish off school.

At 20 yrs old you have no idea the amount of stupid idiots walking around Earth who have degrees. If you do not get a degree you will be outclassed by the masses of morons with degrees. Expect the number of idiots with degrees to increase as almost any moron can finish a secondary school nowadays.

Unless you are studying aerospace, medicine, or computer science of sort than your work load is not too hard. Finish school
Old 14th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf LeProducer View Post

At 20 yrs old you have no idea the amount of stupid idiots walking around Earth who have degrees. If you do not get a degree you will be outclassed by the masses of morons with degrees. Expect the number of idiots with degrees to increase as almost any moron can finish a secondary school nowadays.

Unless you are studying aerospace, medicine, or computer science of sort than your work load is not too hard. Finish school
+1 for staying in school.
Old 14th August 2017
Definitely stay in school, get a degree. That diploma might come in handy at some point in your life.
Old 14th August 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf LeProducer View Post

+2

I went the other way, and ended up back in school later in life. It was much harder and more expensive. Stay in school, get the degree, and then take other risks. Don't believe the hype, college degrees definitely have significant value in the job market. I work around plenty of idiots with degrees, and meet plenty of intelligent folks without degrees that SHOULD be working where I work.
Old 16th November 2017
I'm 35; been working as an audio engineer seriously for the last 10 years. Do you know what my biggest regret is?

That I never learned a trade. Whether plastering; roofing; plumbing; electrical; anything. Becoming an audio engineer was a saturated, competitive field even a decade ago, let alone the insane levels it's reached now. You will be competing with people who have a similar (or higher!) level of talent, but many of them will have parents with deep pockets. As you have probably already surmised, music production is unfortunately not a poor man's game. A PC / mac, audio interface, mic, monitor speakers, room treatment, a nice big room where you can make music uninterrupted all costs $$$. How will you pay for all that?

I struggled for years. I'm barely comfortable now. If I'd had a trade, I could've been supporting myself and living a comfortable lifestyle. I wouldn't have had to go without nice clothes, without consoles, shivering because I'd no money for heating etc. The best advice I got from a course was "Find a job, you might not be succesful tomorrow, and you might not be succesful EVER. You need funds to support your music career until you succeed".

You don't have to stay in school, but PLEASE don't think you're going to swan into a fancy career writing music for a living. Be realistic! 'Normal' jobs can be arduous and boring but without an income, your musical dreams will be very, very unlikely to come to fruition. It does happen, but there's a reason why they call it a lucky break. You gotta be very frickin' lucky to get one.
Old 16th November 2017
Lives for gear

Do you want to be 50 and living with your parents?

Stay in school.
Old 24th November 2017
Lives for gear

Stay in school. Unless you`re astronomically lucky, you`ll regret it. I graduated college when I was 40, working a full time job, owning a house, it SUCKED. SO freaking tired! SO much easier to do when you`re young. Just get it over with and then move to engineering. You`re still apparently young.
Old 24th November 2017
Deleted b598644
OP : Getting into music and make a living in production was a lot easier in the 80s and 90s because a lot less less people did that.
Nowadays anyone with a PC can get into engineering, mixing and music whereas decades ago you needed an actual course or education to get knowledge.

So yeah, unless you live in 1990, stay in school
Old 24th November 2017
Gear Guru

Wow, ok. Well, IF you make a career out of sound engineering against every bit of odds on the table, you will be getting lots of those people you don't want to be friends with telling you what to do.

On the other hand I would still go with the 'do what you must' side, as I truly believe that regretting not doing what is in your heart is the worst regret. You are young though and in no rush, so finishing off school for a minute wouldn't hurt you much.

Good luck. You'll need it. But you'll also find it. It's around. The rest becomes your destiny, perhaps with quite a few warts.
Old 24th November 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0z4K View Post
For about a year I've been having memory issues

I can't focus when reading something, it just becomes a mush of words and on sometimes(rarely) getting very angry over nothing, and have to keep my hands busy most of the time
It seems from this that you may be having some mental or emotional problem. I would deal with that first. You will regret making important decisions if you make them at a time when you are not mentally stable. I would suggest that you have a complete physical and discuss changes in your memory and reading ability with a doctor or therapist. Do a serious self assessment and consider if there are factors in this possible life decision that aren’t obvious to you. Drinking, drugs, breakups, loneliness and undiagnosed depression do not often lead to good decisions.
Two years seems like a very long time to you now, but in a lifetime it is the blink of an eye. Finish school and you will always have that credential to fall back on.
Old 25th November 2017
Here for the gear
Go for it and forget school!

I'm 36 and dropped out about a month before completing my degree in political science. My gut feeling was screaming RUN!

I've started producing 2 yrs ago and today I drive a new BMW 520 mSport and just bought myself a house. If I had followed my "sense" I'd be stuck in the Matrix. And probably killed myself .. Bottom line: You have obviously found your true calling in life. Ride that wave and don't give a f... about what other people tell you. You have only one life man, don't waste your time on anything else then what your heart tells you.

You should check out some interviews/documentaries about Giorgio Moroder. He failed classes in school on purpose, knowing that getting a degree ment a life not making music.
Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajesticXII View Post
Go for it and forget school!

I'm 36 and dropped out about a month before completing my degree in political science:
To each his own. I don’t understand why taking a month to complete the degree would have forced you out of pursuing music. I completed my history degree at 21 but supported myself playing and mastering music until 40, when I had a reason to use the degree. Not finishing a degree is like not putting the final vocal on a recording. The other work is wasted if you don’t finish.
But when your intuition screams run, you should run. I can’t argue against that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search