The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
If your music was only ever going to be heard by yourself, would you still make it?
Old 19th October 2019
Here for the gear

Yes... It's therapy. If I stop now, I'm not really sure what would happen.
Although jamming with a band, getting constructive critiques, hammering out a complex part, talking shop about the process, etc... that's where a lot of the fun can be found. I'd still make it without all that, but it would be a sadder/meaner sounding bunch of crap, instead of just a selfish, not-for-mass-consumption-type bunch of crap.
Old 19th October 2019
Gear Addict

Yes because my music is mostly only heard by me.
I like to go into a journey of sound, creating sounds with a synthesizer and getting lost.
Making a finished product like a track, a song sometimes happen and ofcourse when somebody else likes it (my son or friends) I appreciate it.
Every year we have a contest at the Dutch synth forum and I make something especially for that moment.
I know when I would coorporate with somebody or had deadlines to finish a track I would complete more tracks but now there's no need to.
Old 19th October 2019
Lives for gear

Yes - definitely - being creative = sanity for me.
Old 10th March 2020
Yes, I would still make music, but I don't think the end results would be as good if I knew no one would ever hear it or if I wasn't trying to make something that might communicate something to anyone besides myself.
I think part of what makes music great to people is how someone else encapsulates something that felt unique or special to you, and I don't think that happens much if one is not paying any attention to how your output might be perceived or experienced by another.
Having said that, I definitely attest to the power of music and art as self-therapy and also that the merit of a work does not rest solely (or possibly at all) on how well-received it is.
So I think I still would create just for myself, but I feel that the process is nobler and more redemptive when one tries to reach outwards. There are plenty of examples of great work that run contrary to any and all of my thoughts here though.
Old 19th March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew732 View Post
Great question. Personally, I see music as a highly-evolved form of communication. There is supposed to be somebody on the other end.
love it.

Buddha
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Check out Forgotify.

(I just did, it's down right now.)

A collection of never even once clicked Spotify songs.

4 millions of them.

When not even your girlfriend checks out your music.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteusz View Post
When not even your girlfriend checks out your music.
Just reminded me of that article on hardtimes.net - 'Wife Confident Husband’s Band Too S****y for Groupies'
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear