The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
If your music was only ever going to be heard by yourself, would you still make it? Studio Headphones
Old 29th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Old 1st November 2017
Gear Head

The desire to create only for respect leads no where in my experience. It sets up a standard to which you can't control whether or not you live up and paralyzes you if it doesn't pan out that way or looks like it won't. Also, it can make you compromise honesty.

Not that you should neglect the steps to get your music heard, but if you can't fall in love with the process (which may take giving up your expectations of fame, success, or acclaim), you might be in the wrong industry.

Note: being fascinated with/sensitive to sound more than others can be symptomatic of autism, but doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the self.
Old 2nd November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymorphia View Post
The desire to create only for respect leads no where in my experience. It sets up a standard to which you can't control whether or not you live up and paralyzes you if it doesn't pan out that way or looks like it won't. Also, it can make you compromise honesty.

Not that you should neglect the steps to get your music heard, but if you can't fall in love with the process (which may take giving up your expectations of fame, success, or acclaim), you might be in the wrong industry.

Note: being fascinated with/sensitive to sound more than others can be symptomatic of autism, but doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the self.
~Poetry~
Old 9th November 2017
Lives for gear

Yes!
Old 13th November 2017
Lives for gear

I'm supposed to play it for other people? To hear?!?

I actually tried that once with some friends.

They're no longer my friends...

But yes, music is for myself.
Old 13th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post

The bright side to that is you already have an exit plan in your back pocket if you feel a relationship going south.
Old 25th February 2018
I Have A youtube channel most of my songs have like 10 views or so. The Songs took me lots of hours and learning how to make them many more. I do it cuz its a hobby that is productive. Even if only a few people ever hear it its not a waste of time like whatching tv or playing a video game. IMO.
Old 26th February 2018
Lives for gear

I started to make music just for myself.
Most of it is idiosyncratic and doesnt work well for others, but I found an audience never the less
or because of that

If someone digs it it really means something to me

Sharing art is like sharing dreams, it's a form of communication and an audience is
important-

Its similar to what happens when you have an accident - you want to share what just happened to you,
to talk about it, and in the same way you want to share your art
Its not about getting recognition or applause, its about sharing experiences and dreams.

But its ok to do it just for yourself, like writing a diary is ok
Old 26th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbr33ze View Post
my songs have like 10 views or so. The .

10 more than most people
Old 26th February 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartieFuncum View Post
If your music was only ever going to be heard by yourself, would you still make it?
No, absolutely not. Humans are social creatures and have a need to communicate with others.
Old 20th March 2018
Gear Addict

If I'm being honest with myself, I would have to say no, I don't think I would bother. The actual process of making music is generally more tedious than fun. If I didn't have the desire for other people to hear it and be affected by it, I feel there'd be no reason for me to continue. Granted, few people do hear it, or even care about it. But there's always the possibility, however remote, that if presented in the right way, someome could be moved by it. And that's enough to drive me to keep doing it.

I'm not sure narcissism is an accurate enough word. It was probably more accurate when I was younger, trying to be popular and well-liked by my peers, desperately wanting girls to notice me...the idea of "making it", or being publicly known held more appeal then. These days, I have close family around, and I'm in a serious relationship. (though my girlfriend doesn't like my music either, so I don't show it to her.) I haven't even played live in several years. There's nobody I feel the need to impress, nor do I really need to be told how great I am.

But going back to the idea that "art is not art until it's observed", I kind of feel like my songs are my children, and I dream of seeing them go off into the world and take on a life of their own. Maybe folks will share them with their friends, maybe someone else will attempt to perform a cover of one of them. That would be the ultimate compliment. Then I would feel like the music has fulfilled its purpose.
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

I most likely to probably wouldn't although it would be a positive to have an audience that isn't the masses but maybe a sizable group. Music is communication so if the feedback loop is me, myself and I alone I'd most likely be bored.
Old 22nd March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartieFuncum
If your music was only ever going to be heard by yourself, would you still make it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post
No, absolutely not. Humans are social creatures and have a need to communicate with others.
100% DISAGREE!

I do music for MY pleasure and MY stress relief. I do music only for MYSELF, and NO ONE ELSE!

It's the same with my photography...I don't do photography to put it in galleries or put on photo shows, I do it for my personal pleasure. Why should music be any different?

Anyway, I get enough annoying "social interaction" at work (why do they always ask how I am, they don't really care how I am and I don't care how they are)!

Music is my escapism, why should I share it?
Old 22nd March 2018
Gear Guru

Totally. My music is for me, first. Then it's for any strangers it happens to get to, when it gets to them. But the vast majority is never released. I could release albums every year, and still, the vast majority would never be heard by anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post

Friends and family are useless. You can post a picture of a cupcake you're about to eat, and they'll give you all kinds of feedback and comments. Send them a link to your music, not one play. Not one. I do much better with total strangers. And the cat likes to keep me company when I'm mixing.
Old 22nd March 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
Totally. My music is for me, first. Then it's for any strangers it happens to get to, when it gets to them. But the vast majority is never released. I could release albums every year, and still, the vast majority would never be heard by anyone.

Friends and family are useless. You can post a picture of a cupcake you're about to eat, and they'll give you all kinds of feedback and comments. Send them a link to your music, not one play. Not one. I do much better with total strangers. And the cat likes to keep me company when I'm mixing.
100% correct. Post a video of a dog barking= 1.6 million views. Post a video of you doing your original song creation= 2 views

Why dont you just do your music? Oh, I dont know
Old 22nd March 2018
Lives for gear

I make music to get something out of me....it's like a conduit to my subconscious. The process of writing, playing and recording my songs is...the best therapy.

But....there is also something special that happens when I know a song has been heard by someone else. Just as lightning seeks a ground to be complete, there is an element of closure and fulfillment when one of my songs is listened to.

I must admit that I do seek to complete that circuit.
Old 23rd March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefellh View Post
Music is my escapism, why should I share it?
Thats true, and I have to think a little bit to contradict...
anyway, it's nice to share the experience, like people going to cinemas together (just to sit in the dark and be absorbed by a movie), or share a joint, drink together, tell each other their dreams etc

and it's all about sharing dreams and experiences I guess
Old 23rd March 2018
Lives for gear

Anyway, it's nice to not to have to share the experience, like people going to cinemas alone (just to sit in the dark and be absorbed by a movie and not be interrupted by "friends" fooling around), or drink alone so you can leave or stay as long as you want at the bar, keep your dreams to yourself so you're not mocked, etc

It's all about enjoying your life without someone distracting you.
Old 24th March 2018
Lives for gear
This is an excellent thread.
I'm recording music on my own and thinking "At 40+ years of age, who am I kidding thinking I'm going to be a rock star now!?" And then thinking that if I'm not going to be in a band, be famous or get music published, there can be no point to music. Maybe picking up the guitar and strumming every now and then. But recording, and spending money on gear?...crazy! But somehow it seems to be working for right now. And it's good to see it's working for some others too. Maybe not for everyone. But for some, it can work. I suppose as long as we keep it in perspective.

I spent many years doing the band thing briefly here and there and never understood why it didn't stick. Kept trying to make it work. Only to realize recently as one of the first posters on this thread did, "There's a lot of things that suck about being in a band". But I thought it was the only way to do music and be serious about it. And then of course dreams of being a rock star were there too. But doing something just for fame, recognition or appreciation can be a very empty pursuit. A lot of wanting and dreaming, but not very much enjoying. And the payoff is in other's hands.

Maybe now I'm finding out what music is like without the fame and recognition part.
Old 12th August 2018
Here for the gear

Absolutely, I get a lot of enjoyment from making music and if nobody is going to hear it that's fine with me. If i'm having a bad day at work or wherever, and its getting close to the time to go home, I get excited thinking that soon Ill be in my music room and just get lost and forget about the day.
Old 12th August 2018
Old 16th August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBestFriend View Post
That's not how it's done.

Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear

Absolutely. I definitely want other people to hear my music, but that's the icing. Making the music is the cake.
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear

I would. And.... pretty much do anyway.
Old 1 week ago
Great joy can be found in solitude.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie1 View Post
Great joy can be found in solitude.

It is quieter kind of joy than with companions.
Oh, well, my solitude is absolutely deafening.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
Oh, well, my solitude is absolutely deafening.
Yeah didn't think of that when trying to be profound.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartieFuncum View Post
I know this tree falling in a forest type thing has likely been asked before but I was humbled recently by a friend of mine who has autism. What really struck me during a conversation is how he makes music purely for the love of it, which led myself to ask: would I still make music even if I knew nobody else would ever hear it?

So, with all the above in mind, I found myself realising that the music I make will, in all likelihood, be for my own entertainment only, which has actually
been the case for some time now. This is fine but when you have spent a lifetime (I'm now 50) making, consciously or otherwise, some kind of 'commercial' considerations I honestly don't know whether I'm inspired or saddened by my friends, or my own, situation in general?!

So, by way of starting a discussion: if you thought that in all likelihood your music/playing was only ever going to be heard by yourself - would you still make it/play?
Thanks.
For the 99% of musicians out there today it is only about a pass time and recreation. Music is no longer appreciated for 1 reasons. A humongous amount of free music to choose from by the click of a mouse in your living-room. The free **** generation has lost connection to the value of a lot of things beside music. The digital domain is ultimately killing creativity.

Bevore the digital descend of the music industry one went to the record store. You had to take your time to go there and listen through different albums until you would find that record that would stay in your collection. I must have spent thousand of hours digging through vinyl. It was rewarding fun and exciting whenever I came accross a rare obscure track that no one else had. Today I have many records with a high value. What is the value of a MP3 stick with 10 GB of MP3? Nothing! Store it somewhere for 10 years and the data may very well be dead. Today where you can store whole music ibraries to a USB stick its no longer about listening...its about zapping.

Music used to be an act of appreciation and celebration. Kind of a ritual and a exciting product to share with friends. Whether you where collector or a musician. I know a guy in his 90ies who made a living touring with a little jazz-band in the 50ies, 60ies and 70ies. It is no longer possible to make a living by that.

The whole music industry has turned into a free **** mindset by the power of computers. Take Behringer and Roland Boutique...all a reflection of a digital massproduction low-budget freebee society. No appreciation for quality...just massproduction compensated by a lot of marketing voodoo.

Today a lot of listeners think that you as a artist should be even thankful if they listen to your music for free...

One thing is clear...digital music is volatile while Vinyl is here to stay. Digital data might very well not survive the next 50 years for many reasons. You need just one major electromagnetic event for instance and a lot of data will be gone forever...the green energy stupidity movement as is may also mark a change since the amout of power required to keep that free-bee digital show alive is never going to be produced by wind mills and solar power.

As a musician you must go vinyl and that as a counter movement to bring back joy and appreciation to music.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

In one word Yes.

I have health problems and music has been a big part of my life in helping my state of mind and the mad society we live in. It's like meditating, it's a private space to let your creativity and feelings flow into something that makes your life and hopefully others that little bit better.

It's a personal thing for most people i think anyway unless its a job or your some alien that listens to some wierd galactic moon flower drum and bass for example .

I think you can always reach or make at least one persons life other than your own that little bit better with a song.

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search