The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
School Tech Room
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

School Tech Room

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help me out with this problem or help me brainstorm a better solution?

Background:

I work in a school and in our iMac suite (where we use Logic and Garageband) we were using a 3.5mm Jack pair of generic computer speakers out of the iMac's headphone socket, then running a splitter from the speakers headphone socket to two pairs of headphones. This allowed the students to work on their pieces and unplug the headphones to play it to the whole class. The issue with this is, the are always breakages due to things being constantly unplugged.

We have now kitted each iMac out with Behringer UMC22s in an attempt to remove the speakers and stop the students constantly unplugging and moving connections around.

The Issue:

The issue now is that the students can no longer play their work to the class without going into the settings and changing the audio outputs back to built in.

Potential Solution 1:

The UMC22 has L and R 1/4"Jack outputs, so we thought we could run a instrument cable out of the back of each of the interfaces and into a patch bay at the teachers desk, where the teacher can patch in a specific computer to either listen or play out loud.

Issues:

32x Instrument cables running around the classroom (16x Nodes in stereo). Unless someone is able to suggest a different way of wiring it?

Potential Solution 2:

There is currently cable trunking that carries Cat5 around the room. (I'm no expert in cabling) Would it be possible to use a converter or wire in an audio connector to transmit audio through Cat5? Then run out to a patch bay on the teachers end.

So that's the problem and the solutions, could anybody expand on, give advice on or maybe offer a new solution? Help would be greatly appreciated!!!! Please remember budget too, as you can imagine the budget is pretty tight!

Thanks!!!

Jonathan
Old 1 week ago
Keep it simple. Dante networking would do the job but be quite expensive to implement.
I suggest a USB DI box, Peavey makes one. When a pupil is ready to share their opus with the class, someone wheels over a cart with a powered speaker and the USB DI, set to mono, plugs in a power cord for the speaker and hands the pupil a usb cable, which goes into the Mac. A USB digital to audio converter is cleaner than a 79├žent headphone amp and the USB cabling is more robust. The headphones stay where they are and the USB interface is just another Core audio available device.
Good luck with this and tell us how you resolved this. .
WalterT
Old 1 week ago
Why not use a apple tv and airplay? Just set the Garage band output to "system settings". Then students will just select the airplay icon up top to share.

I am a music teacher and the apple tv is perfect for sharing student work. Apple also sells a hdmi to vga and 1/8 video/audio adapter. If you set up your apple tv correctly you do not even need screen, just hook up some computer speakers to it.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/H...duct-HJRK2VC/A
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon.MacDonald View Post
Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help me out with this problem or help me brainstorm a better solution?

Background:

I work in a school and in our iMac suite (where we use Logic and Garageband) we were using a 3.5mm Jack pair of generic computer speakers out of the iMac's headphone socket, then running a splitter from the speakers headphone socket to two pairs of headphones. This allowed the students to work on their pieces and unplug the headphones to play it to the whole class. The issue with this is, the are always breakages due to things being constantly unplugged.

Potential Solution 1:

The UMC22 has L and R 1/4"Jack outputs, so we thought we could run a instrument cable out of the back of each of the interfaces and into a patch bay at the teachers desk, where the teacher can patch in a specific computer to either listen or play out loud.
Jonathan
Could you get (or make an adaptor) to go from 2 x 1/4 jack to 3.5mm jack socket into the generic speakers?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search