The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Customer Service: What do you consider a fair email response time? DAW Software
Old 20th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Customer Service: What do you consider a fair email response time?

When you email a company with an inquiry about a new product, a problem you're experiencing with their item, or even a simple question, what do you consider a fair response time to be? The same week? A few weeks? A month? A few months?

I'm not talking about small companies with 1-2 employees. I mean, like average sized companies with actual customer service reps and company email addresses solely for general questions and/or technical support.
Old 21st June 2017
Gear Nut

1-2 days?
Old 22nd June 2017
Gear Maniac

So you consider 24-28 hours to be about average?

What do you think is an acceptable amount of time before contacting them again if they don't respond?
Old 25th June 2017
Depending on the size of the company, response times may vary. I generally give them 5 working days at the most. Three days if the issue is urgent.
Old 25th June 2017
Lives for gear

I emailed and called Moog Music about a simple registration question in mid May (about a month and a half ago). They haven't replied yet.
Old 25th June 2017
Lives for gear

If it's pre-sales and they're dragging their feet I just look elsewhere. To me it means they're not that keen to make sales then (I'm also excluding small companies).

If it's anything that's tech support then I really think a couple of days is about as much as one should have to wait. Longer than that is a bit crappy. A week is no good and a month+ is awful.
Old 25th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
If it's pre-sales and they're dragging their feet I just look elsewhere.
Recently had an event where a company had been bugging me for a year to come for a demo. Finally RSVP'd a month out and expected to hear a confirmation within a few business days so it would be put on the calendar. Received a confirmation 24 hours before the scheduled time. Told them that if they couldn't bother with scheduling over a month when dealing with audio professionals and who have their own client obligations, there's no way I want to see what their long-term customer service is like. All it would have taken is one call or one email on any day over a month and they wouldn't have soured my interest in their products.

However, one thing the OP should keep in mind is different country's traditions: specifically holiday periods. The UK, Germany, and France have some very extended break periods that aren't really like the US. Some are religious and some just traditional and you won't find anyone in the office.
And for smaller companies, major tradeshows where the best person to talk to is most likely at the tradeshow so you don't get a response. For the US, NAMM (summer and winter), AES, and NAB are hard times to get ahold of people (including for foreign companies who fly here.) For Europe, Musikmesse is a difficult one.
Outside of that, I expect a response within 5 business days to emails and 2 business days for phone calls. Otherwise there are follow up calls and escalation (depending on the issue and urgency.) And whoever my dealer was will also get a call to accelerate a reply.
Old 26th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
However, one thing the OP should keep in mind is different country's traditions: specifically holiday periods. The UK, Germany, and France have some very extended break periods that aren't really like the US. Some are religious and some just traditional and you won't find anyone in the office.
Very good points.
Old 30th July 2017
I'll give it a week for tech support, but I can accept if its within a month depending on some factors like company size, time of the year, urgency etc.

Ideally 1-2 days would be perfect of course.

What is not tolerable is when you don't get a response at all.
Old 22nd November 2017
Lives for gear

Great question.

I am an IT and currently often work in a role similar to that of a help desk person. Our tickets have priorities and each priority has a different response expectation based on criticality.

I would think that some situations would require a very quick turnaround while most will be based on workload. If you are a pro studio and Pro Tools goes belly up I would think that Avid would be expected to come to the rescue although that probably involves some sort of maintenance contract - sorry, I do not know how they handle things of this ilk. Most other situations are probably based on the company policy and workload.

Personally, I would expect a response within 2 business days. At least a preliminary reply but not those static ones you get when you open a ticket with a company online.

I have experienced longer windows between opening a ticket and receiving a real response and that is frustrating but seems to be coming more common. Sadly customer support is mostly non existent this day and age outside of maybe Amazon who are terrific with responding and handling legitimate issues.
Old 4th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by REGGAE View Post
What do you think is an acceptable amount of time before contacting them again if they don't respond?
Depends on the original query. If the initial email was "What's the suggested retail price for your MST-3600 Bipolar Defenestrator, and who's the local dealer?" I would give them ~5 business days before prodding them again.

But if the initial email was "I bought one of your MST-3600 Bipolar Defenestrators from the local dealer and it's producing nothing but hum, buzz, and hiss. The dealer tells me I should go fist myself" I would expect a response within 24 hours.
Old 7th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
Ideally 1-2 days would be perfect of course.

What is not tolerable is when you don't get a response at all.

Yeah. That's what prompted me to post the question, to begin with. I can't tell you how many companies I've written asking anything from basic questions to contacting tech support about problems and then just never received a response.

Not wanting to seem pushy I'll usually wait 1-3 weeks or so before I contact them again. Many times though I won't receive a response to my second or even third inquiry at all either.

Because of this, there are some manufacturers that I just will not by from again, no matter how popular or good they may be. There are other times where failure to address a tech support problem I was having annoyed me enough to sell off every last piece of equipment I owned from certain manufacturers.
Old 9th January 2018
1-2 days,
unless the person is Stalking me,
then I don't reply to people who are time wasters
Old 18th February 2018
Gear Nut

I think that during working days a proper customer support should be able to reply by email within 24 hours.
Sadly its more often about 96 hours or longer.
Presonus is in my opinion leader for fast support.
Rarely I waited more than 6 hours.
Old 18th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
I generally give them 5 working days at the most.
NO WAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
I'll give it a week for tech support...
NO WAY

1 business day. Period. Barring holidays, extended break periods, and major catastrophes, and bearing in mind time zone differences, there is no reason tech support should not reply within 1 business day.

Cheers.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search