The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Cool Edit Pro
Old 9th January 2015
Lives for gear
Cool Edit Pro

Anybody remember Cool Edit Pro from way back in the day?

ahhhh man, getting nostailgic here, I remember the first time I ever had an "all-nighter" making music was on Cool Edit Pro with my digitech rpx400, first time i could record guitar tracks on my own

and I had a buddy in vacaville who was good with Acid, I think it was like Acid 3.0 back then... I remember he showed me how to make a kick drum out of saxaphone

Old 9th January 2015
Gear Head
Haha I still use Cool Edit Pro 2.1 when inspiration comes to me. Unlike programs like Pro Tools, Cool Edit Pro opens almost instantly and there is no need to connect an audio interface on my laptop, so I sing the melody that's on my mind and save it. I had a lot of fun with this software too, back in time. When Adobe bought it to make it become Adobe Audition, it has lost all its appeal in my opinion...
Old 9th January 2015
Lives for gear

Ah Cool Edit Pro, certainly brings back some memories
Old 9th January 2015
Gear Guru

I used to use Cool Edit Pro for mastering when I first tried to have a mastering room in my house. A friend of mine is in radio and still records and edits interviews with CEP.

I liked the zoom selection to full screen function.
Old 5th September 2018
Sj3
Here for the gear

I love my CEP! However, it appears that my CEP, doesn’t recognize my I rig pro. Can anybody recommend a audio interface?
Old 5th September 2018
Gear Head
I loved Cool Edit Pro back in the day, which is one reason I love and use Samplitude now. It's basically an up-to-date and improved version of Cool Edit Pro.
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear

yea, it was my first editor . It has a feature that would eq a track to match the overall frequency distribution of another track In the early days I found that quite useful to match my overall balance of my mixes against professional work
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear

It's still around.

Buy Adobe Audition CC | Audio recording, editing, and mixing software

It was originally pretty big for broadcast. For a long time, it was my main DAW. But it was kind of a resource hog. I tried using Sony Vegas, and that was like a dream. Reaper was heavily inspired by Vegas, to the point that I found it to be a near direct-replacement.
Old 5th September 2018
Mho
Lives for gear

I did my best music with It.
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear

I got it inside every radio station that I worked for (dozens) when it came out... it was sincerely a game changer
Old 6th September 2018
Gear Head
Still using it every day (as Adobe Audition)
Old 6th September 2018
Here for the gear

Man some of you guys are old. Oh wait I used it too, 97/98? At some point I could multi track, holy sh**. Pentium 2.
Old 6th September 2018
Gear Maniac

what a great program. it was famously cracked back in the day and was one of the first multitrack daw many ppl had because of that. it also could display video along with your multitrack.

i actually know a few folks who still use this program. the effects are primitive but very usable, and theres a sound you can coax out of it by clipping the mix bus in the red that aint too bad.

these day i use audition, as said is based off this. great 2 track editor.
Old 6th September 2018
Lives for gear

It was convenient having the two-track editor incorporated with the multitrack editor.
Old 6th September 2018
Adobe audition, most expensive DAW? I miss cooledit.
Old 6th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetInfinity View Post
Adobe audition, most expensive DAW? I miss cooledit.
Yea. The price of Audition compared to its capabilities nowadays is pretty bad
Old 6th September 2018
Lives for gear

saved the recording session a couple of times when i forgot the dongle for my nuendo or was running out of usb ports...

we're talking win95/98 here, x386 etc. - still running btw!
Old 8th April 2019
Here for the gear

I stilll use Cool Edit Pro for Recording and Composing with paying customers!! And I mix on Presonus Studio. But my hacked cd is all fudged. Can you still repair CDs??? Can I save my version on a key like the install exe.??? I can work CEP in my sleep, it's so great for noise and click and pop eliminator and all editing is like butter. I do not want the new version that you have to register online!!
Cheers!!

Last edited by Rawkin J; 8th April 2019 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: Forgot stuff.
Old 8th April 2019
Here for the gear

Hey do you have a version I could get??? Mine is all scrapped on cd and I'm afraid my pc crashes!!
Old 13th April 2019
Here for the gear

I used cooledit for years and was able to connect it with Scarlett 2i2 Focusrite interface until my computer updated to Windows 10. Oops, the signal doesn'e get recorded into cooledit any longer. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Old 20th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin View Post
Yea. The price of Audition compared to its capabilities nowadays is pretty bad
Sorry I'm late to this.

It's a great program. I've used Cubase for years and it's a very mature program with a billion features. But there are so many of these features I don't use from day to day so it seems bloated to me. I came by Audition through using Illustrator and got a awesome deal from Adobe to add most of their other Apps.
For some people Audition could be a great DAW. I haven't been able to use it much yet but it's layout and workflow I took to immediately...I love it! To me it just makes sense how they designed this program. It's a joy to use and people like song writers, You tube publishers etc., may find it's perfect for them.

I'm finding myself loading it up over Cubase to just get in and put down some ideas and I'm starting to play around with video and it's so simple to make a video of your band or yourself playing and it all integrates so well with the audio tracks...can't say enough about how I enjoy working in this tool.

I wish Adobe would price this differently because I'm sure there are others out there like me who would take to this tool like ducks to water.
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrage View Post
Sorry I'm late to this.

It's a great program. I've used Cubase for years and it's a very mature program with a billion features. But there are so many of these features I don't use from day to day so it seems bloated to me. I came by Audition through using Illustrator and got a awesome deal from Adobe to add most of their other Apps.
For some people Audition could be a great DAW. I haven't been able to use it much yet but it's layout and workflow I took to immediately...I love it! To me it just makes sense how they designed this program. It's a joy to use and people like song writers, You tube publishers etc., may find it's perfect for them.

I'm finding myself loading it up over Cubase to just get in and put down some ideas and I'm starting to play around with video and it's so simple to make a video of your band or yourself playing and it all integrates so well with the audio tracks...can't say enough about how I enjoy working in this tool.

I wish Adobe would price this differently because I'm sure there are others out there like me who would take to this tool like ducks to water.
I use Sonar and occasionally Cubase. When I was in the UK I tried to use my brother's copy of Audition to work out multiple guitar parts for a recording I would be doing when I got back to the US.

I must admit I found it very difficult to work with, although probably no worse than moving to any other strange DAW after using a different one for years.

With basic Sonar available for free from Band camp nowadays, I doubt too many new users will want to stump up $20/month for Audition, although that might be fine for anyone who has a lot of learning time already invested in it.
Old 27th April 2019
Gear Head
I was an original Cool Edit Pro user for years, and migrated to Adobe Audition when Adobe scooped it up. At some point, I found I needed more versatility in terms of VSTi's and MIDI editing. Eventually I found Samplitude, which is a whole lot like Cool Edit Pro but with expanded functionality. Samplitude's what I currently use and it's awesome. Highly recommended if you're a fan of CEP or Audition.
Old 4th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin View Post
I use Sonar and occasionally Cubase. When I was in the UK I tried to use my brother's copy of Audition to work out multiple guitar parts for a recording I would be doing when I got back to the US.

I must admit I found it very difficult to work with, although probably no worse than moving to any other strange DAW after using a different one for years.

With basic Sonar available for free from Band camp nowadays, I doubt too many new users will want to stump up $20/month for Audition, although that might be fine for anyone who has a lot of learning time already invested in it.
Yeah switching to a different DAW can be confusing. The cost per month for Audition is excessive, I only came by it by using other Adobe apps. Sad because I think they could get more users with a different business model on it.

I go way back with Cakewalk, it's what I grew up with and was so happy to see the software get picked up like it did. I have it on a laptop but only briefly checked it out. I have not looked at doing video with it.
Old 4th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrixion View Post
I was an original Cool Edit Pro user for years, and migrated to Adobe Audition when Adobe scooped it up. At some point, I found I needed more versatility in terms of VSTi's and MIDI editing. Eventually I found Samplitude, which is a whole lot like Cool Edit Pro but with expanded functionality. Samplitude's what I currently use and it's awesome. Highly recommended if you're a fan of CEP or Audition.
Not too long ago I recall they were selling Samp for a crazy low price, I thought about it but for MIDI I use Cubase. Yes, Audition is missing some key features needed for many DAW users.
Old 5th May 2019
Gear Addict

I still use Adobe Audition as my DAW for tracking, mixing, and mastering to this day, and I have no plans to change. I'm using AA 3.0.1 though, the fully beefed up 3rd gen Adobe offering, and the last to resemble CEP before AA got assimilated into CC. I'm not a big fan of the newer version. But AA3 still does everything I need it to and more, and some of these more popular DAW's are still trying to catch up with it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search