The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's the current state of the art for Linux DAWs?
Old 14th May 2020
Here for the gear

As we all know, linux sucks;

*unless you're a complete control freak

Music making on linux is a pain in the arse. Anyone who says they're having a great time using linux to make music is lying and coping, hard.

Oddly enough I actually use linux, not for audio but for midi. As we also know, windows sucks for midi, and mac? I hear mixed things about macs depending on what people are using for interfaces. But anyhow, what i use is a cheap m-audio uno for a midi interface. On windows 7 or 10 it's garbage, midi jitter all over the place to be expected, even when the buffer is set low.
But on the linux side I'm running lubuntu off of a usb drive, using renoise 2.0 (yes, 2.0) as a sequencer, buffer set to like 32 in alsa. I kid you not it's pretty damn solid for it being an m-audio uno, and holds up to what my amiga 500 was doing with serial midi. there's only noticable jitter is when the computer goes to sleep and wakes up, thats it. I'm pretty impressed to say the least.

Another thing too. Awhile ago I picked up a pci soundblaster with a gameport (win xp only) at the thriftstore for 10 bucks, and forgot about it was sitting in my pci slot as my mobo refused to run win xp. But for some odd reason it's detected and works plug and play in lubuntu. Weird aye? One of these days I need to get a gameport adapter to see how it performs
Old 15th May 2020
Here for the gear
I switched from Win7 to Manjaro Linux over a year ago, right in the middle of producing a 42-minute concept album. You can't hear which tracks are which

I can open any project I did on Win7 in native Reaper, using LinVst to seamlessly run all my Valhalla, Klanghelm, even Kontakt and Waves; native Airwindows plugins.

Somebody said Mac and Win users don't know anything about Linux. I'd say most Mac/Win users don't know much about Mac/Win. Linux is like owning a tape machine, you don't just plug it in and forget about it, you have to learn something about how it works, calibrate it and actively maintain it. I have a better understanding of how computer audio works after a year with Linux than almost two decades on Windows.

It's true, the neckbeards won't waste their time with you if you don't know enough to change the oil in your car, there will be no handholding. It's kept adoption very slow. It's a reflection of the fierce independence that marks the style of the Linux user.

For me, it's political. I just got tired of whining about crooked politicians and decided to take any small action I could against the monoliths that profit and eliminate competition by keeping us dependent and ignorant.

No regrets here.
Old 15th May 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by silksow View Post
Somebody said Mac and Win users don't know anything about Linux.
Well, I said they don't know much. Every now and then I'm in the mood of asking Mac/WIN users what they think about Linux in music production. Answers are like

"Leave me alone with that crap!"
"Can I run Cubase on it?"
"What??"

I'm a happy Linux user, no overhead here anymore. I stopped buying Plugins. I have a Behringer Odyssey now, that's it. I dumped everything soft-this and soft-that. Plugins that claim they sound like the original. They don't. Never. DIVA ist probably the best synth emulation (simulation?) out there, but any old Roland JP 8 will run circles around it. Still.

Something that just records what I'm playing is all I ever wanted from a DAW. Tape recorder, yes, that's how I use it. And suddenly the fun is back, no more hassle with updates / upgrades, throwing out money here and there, and I'm also pretty much tired of companies that want to sell me a live style. I'm tired of staring at all those stupid faces in ads, claiming they know what's going on. After all the years I spent trying to keep my rig up to date I must say: The big companies still do not know me. They don't know what I want and they don't know what I need. I've wasted my time. And my money.

And I agree, it's also a political thing. Look at Bill Gates right now in times of corona (don't worry, won't go down that rabbit hole here), but come on...

In future my money shall go to independent developers. They seem to know what I want.

WIN /OSX? EOL!
Old 15th May 2020
Lives for gear

Is anybody using Reaper on Linux?

I just recently discovered that they have a Linux version in the first place.
Old 15th May 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
Is anybody using Reaper on Linux?

I just recently discovered that they have a Linux version in the first place.
Yes, I'm using reaper on MX Linux with Steinberg UR 22 and ALSA. Recording the output of my Odyssey synth. Flawless so far. Probably the fastest DAW on Linux. I really wanted to love Ardour, it's still on my PC, but as soon as Reaper appeared on stage I switched, not regretting it. Just give it a try, it's a 12 MB download!
Old 27th June 2020
Yes, here as well. I'm primarily a Mac OS user but also have 2 Fedora systems running the packages from the Fedora Jam spin, the Planet CCRMA stuff from Stanford, and Reaper.

My Linux systems are primarily for me to nerd around with because I just like computers. My goal for these systems, moving forward, is to use them as individual instruments or effects, supplementing my OS X systems. So, rather than trying to use my Linux systems as full blown music production systems, I might use one as a synth running ZynsubFX, Sunvox or Helm, or whatever, and maybe the other would do some midi processing running PD.

I dunno.
Old 11th July 2020
Lives for gear

I bought a harrison license during their recent sale blitz. I may try our on Linux at some point. I know Linux pretty well from the day job. Thing is I don't need to recreate that wheel. My daw is not online and doesn't need to be.
📝 Reply