The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
FL Studio Exporting - Sound Differences
Old 7th January 2012
Here for the gear

FL Studio Exporting - Sound Differences

Hi there, I'm using FL Studio 10 on a machine with a Realtek HD Audio Onboard Sound Card. I also have ASIO4ALL v2 installed with FL Studio.

I have noticed that many people have been getting this problem on here.

Basically, my problem is that when I have finished mastering a song to get the sound I want, I export the song to an MP3 or WAV and the finished product sounds significantly different to the sound I would get from playing the song directly in the DAW.

In the audio settings in FL Studio, my device is set to ASIO4ALL v2. If I change it to 'Primary sound driver' the sound changes and resembles that of the exported file. This leads me to believe that when I have finished mixing and mastering a song with the ASIO4ALL device selected, FL Studio uses the 'Primary sound driver' to render it with, giving it a very different sound as the song has I have been hearing the song through the ASIO4ALL driver.

In FL Studio, I could change my audio device to 'Primary sound driver', but using this device gives horrendous latency on midi controllers, hence why I'm using ASIO4ALL.

Is there any way to tell FL Studio to use ASIO4ALL to render the song or does FL Studio just use the built in audio? OR, does the fact that the song in the DAW and the exported WAV or MP3 sound different have nothing to do with the selected audio device?

Other notes:

I have tried playing the exported files with multiple programs (Windows Media Player, Apple Quicktime, VLC Media Player) and they all sound the same, so this problem is not related to the program I'm using to play the exported files

Thanks very much in advance!
-John
Old 12th February 2012
Here for the gear

I got this same problem ...everything set to max 512 quality , and after render it still sounds like cheap **** , im pissed off and this is really ruining my production......
Old 12th February 2012
restpause
Rendering does not in fact go thru a soundcard. ASIO is for soundcards as I understand. So it's unlikely it has anything to do with ASIO. If the Windows defaults (Primary Sound Driver) sound different then something is wrong with those settings.

Try changing the interpolation settings. There is a known history of those affecting the rendering sound quality. Personally I find that Linear sounds less muffled than the other settings even though some of the others are supposedly higher quality. Some people like the muffled sound, some don't. So try it at different settings and hear for yourself.
Old 12th February 2012
Here for the gear

Ive tried all other settings , but still without better result , this happend to me when i moved from WinXP to 7 , also wav sounds the same.....its cheap, thin , something like 1 octave higher sound.... and im really running out of options :(
Old 13th February 2012
restpause
Try asking at the Image-Line forums accessible through your FL Studio purchase account. And invest in a pro or semi-pro soundcard/audio interface so you don't have to worry about using the crappy RealTek junk. Seriously, I'm not putting down your setup. Pros and semi-pros don't use motherboard soundcards.
Old 13th February 2012
Lives for gear

The render won't be going through the soundcard driver.

In fact the chances of it actually being any different (in terms of what is fed into the driver versus what is written to a disk) are rather small.

However when you play back that render is probably going through the default sound driver.

Which would correlate with you experiencing this sound difference when you switch FL from ASIO to Default, especially since that switch does not affect the internal processing one iota, just where it feeds the result.

So I'd look at the default output driver settings, for example a quick look at the Realtek specs mentions it has a graphic equalizer, is that perhaps active?
Old 13th February 2012
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedMeCheese View Post
I have tried playing the exported files with multiple programs (Windows Media Player, Apple Quicktime, VLC Media Player) and they all sound the same, so this problem is not related to the program I'm using to play the exported files
Have you tried playing the exported files in FL Studio?
Old 13th February 2012
I think the first solution is to get a proper soundcard with a proper driver.

Surely using onboard sound is the biggest thing holding back your production?
Old 13th February 2012
Here for the gear

I have notice very same thing. I've found the mixing in FL Studio is very difficult. I mean, no matter what you do, you can't get that sound what you want. It is endless tuning. Then, rarely when you are "okay" with mixing, as soon you export it, it sounds so ****. Lifeless, no dynamics. Cold. Nothing like how it sounds inside in FL. It simply sounds so different, so bad.

I know that mixer resamping should help you hear things more realistic way, but it just doesn't working. I.E, If you have mixer resamping 128-point sinc, you should render your final mix on 128-point sinc too! The thing is, that it still doesn't sound same. I have good soundcard, I know all the things and settings, and I have tried everything. Nothing helps. I have give up. For these reason, I have real difficulties to finish any projects in FL. Currently, I have +20 unfinished projects in FL.

Then, when I do song like in cubase, I make it long long time, due different (difficult) workflow, but the mixing is "super easy". I get that sound what I want really quickly, and it sounds really good. Rendered file sounds exactly same is in cubase. No problem at all.

I have tried to move away from FL Studio. Only problem is, I just can't. I have try it so many times. Really. Around 2 years, I have "moving" away from FL. Every time I come back in FL. Cubase could be nice choice for new host, but I don't like cubase workflow. Not piano roll, not automation system. Not zooming and many other things. FL has so unique, best and fastest workflow. Piano roll is like 100x better than in any other host. FL's workflow is like made for me, that's why I have real difficulties to leave FL Studio.

This is endless loop. I don't want to start another project in FL, cause I know, that I will don't finish it anyway. I don't want to start make song in cubase or any other host, cause I can't "fulfill" my ideas, my style in other host's. If I try to make song in cubase, it feels like I have never ever make music before. I am so lost, feeling so empty. This leads my story here, where I haven't do full song in 8 months. I am really lost and I don't know what to do.

If you go to whine about sound quality in IL forums, they all attack you blaablaa. They always paste those **** audio myth youtube links blaablaaa. I am biggest FL fan here. I have been use it so so many years, but the thing is, there is something wrong in FL sound engine for sure. I am surprised how others can't hear or notice it. sry for my bad english..
Old 15th February 2012
Here for the gear

Please Please Please

has anyone figured out how to fix this?
Old 15th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhak View Post
I have notice very same thing. I've found the mixing in FL Studio is very difficult. I mean, no matter what you do, you can't get that sound what you want. It is endless tuning. Then, rarely when you are "okay" with mixing, as soon you export it, it sounds so ****. Lifeless, no dynamics. Cold. Nothing like how it sounds inside in FL. It simply sounds so different, so bad.

I know that mixer resamping should help you hear things more realistic way, but it just doesn't working. I.E, If you have mixer resamping 128-point sinc, you should render your final mix on 128-point sinc too! The thing is, that it still doesn't sound same. I have good soundcard, I know all the things and settings, and I have tried everything. Nothing helps. I have give up. For these reason, I have real difficulties to finish any projects in FL. Currently, I have +20 unfinished projects in FL.

Then, when I do song like in cubase, I make it long long time, due different (difficult) workflow, but the mixing is "super easy". I get that sound what I want really quickly, and it sounds really good. Rendered file sounds exactly same is in cubase. No problem at all.

I have tried to move away from FL Studio. Only problem is, I just can't. I have try it so many times. Really. Around 2 years, I have "moving" away from FL. Every time I come back in FL. Cubase could be nice choice for new host, but I don't like cubase workflow. Not piano roll, not automation system. Not zooming and many other things. FL has so unique, best and fastest workflow. Piano roll is like 100x better than in any other host. FL's workflow is like made for me, that's why I have real difficulties to leave FL Studio.

This is endless loop. I don't want to start another project in FL, cause I know, that I will don't finish it anyway. I don't want to start make song in cubase or any other host, cause I can't "fulfill" my ideas, my style in other host's. If I try to make song in cubase, it feels like I have never ever make music before. I am so lost, feeling so empty. This leads my story here, where I haven't do full song in 8 months. I am really lost and I don't know what to do.

If you go to whine about sound quality in IL forums, they all attack you blaablaa. They always paste those **** audio myth youtube links blaablaaa. I am biggest FL fan here. I have been use it so so many years, but the thing is, there is something wrong in FL sound engine for sure. I am surprised how others can't hear or notice it. sry for my bad english..

Surely you just program in FL, then export individual stems and mix from cubase? Best of both worlds?
Old 29th February 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhak View Post

dude i feel your pain.. i've been thinking about switching to ableton just for that sole purpose.. the dynamics just isnt there with FL studio. i always do comparisons with reference tracks and it's just like FL doesn't do it for me.. the lows and the highs are always missing something. don't get me wrong FL is my favorite DAW of all time when it comes to making music but mixing and exporting is just a huge hassle.
Old 29th February 2012
Gear Nut

I have never heard of this problem, and my music/mixes sound as good or better when I export it.

If you have Cubase though, I don't see a problem at all. Just run FL Studio as a VSTi inside it and use Cubase to bounce! That way you can create your songs using the workflow you (me too) love and not have to rely on FL Studio for bouncing to file.
Old 5th May 2012
Here for the gear
Probably ridiculously late but I found a solution for future reference.

I was using 5.1 surround sound audio and headphones at the same time. Switching settings to stereo solved the playback issue.
Old 4th June 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by commiecomrade View Post
Probably ridiculously late but I found a solution for future reference.

I was using 5.1 surround sound audio and headphones at the same time. Switching settings to stereo solved the playback issue.
Good to know & thank you for updating!

Does the onboard soundcard work ok for you in FL? many underruns? using heavy vst or just samples?
cheers!
Old 4th June 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrograMentalist View Post
I have never heard of this problem, and my music/mixes sound as good or better when I export it.

...Just run FL Studio as a VSTi inside it and use Cubase to bounce! That way you can create your songs using the workflow you (me too) love and not have to rely on FL Studio for bouncing to file.
When you do run FL Studio in Cubase as a VSTi you loose most, if not all, functionality in keyboard shortcuts which pretty much ruins my workflow.

I render stems & dump into cubase. It's annoying- takes a lifetime to work this way... but i try to see it like writing in FL & mixing in Cubase- you're essentially re-mixing anything you've already done in FL.
Old 27th July 2012
Here for the gear

The post made by skiroy is spot on. if you have SPAN, Ozone or any other frequency analyzers you can check this for yourself. Take a track, while in FL and analyze it using the analyzer. After you render the track bring it back into FL or any other DAW you may be able to use and re-analyze the rendered track. You can use any of the options in rendering, but the results will always be the same if not worse depending on the lower valued rendering. If you compare the "Rendered Track" to the "Non-Rendered Track" you will clearly see that some of the frequencies have been "Cut"(Usually in the higher frequency ranges). I have access to other DAWs' so I know that other programs do not have the same issues when rendering. I have heard every excuse in the book about this phenomenon, from "You have used the wrong settings", "Its just Anti-Aliasing", "You don't know how to set up your gear", "It is the VSTis' that you are using".....so on and so on! The fact of the matter is simply FL Studio doesnt render correctly, what you have while using the DAW is not what you get after exporting.
I am not trashing FL Studio though it is one of the most primary "weapons" in my arsenal, and the guys at IL are second to none as far as customer support and helping their customers. FL absolutely has more "Pros" than "Cons". So please don't get me wrong, it just is what it is with the Rendering.
All that being said I have come up with a work around outside of just using FL as a "Multi-Out" VSTi or Rewire. If you purchase the Producer Bundle the package will come with a Plug-In called EDISON it is a wave editor Plug-in. You can set this on any of your tracks and just press Record and Edison will record your track while playing back. After you are finished you can simply save the file as an individual .wave track and than drag that file into any other DAW you may want to use to Render, or Mix in. If you analyze the recorded track you will see and hear that it is exactly what it was while playing it in FL Studio.
To me the problem doesnt lie with FL Studio as a whole, just with the "Rendering" process of it.
Old 8th November 2012
Here for the gear

big thank you to everyone on this thread - it helped me solve my problem (I actually dont use fl - I use acoustica mixcraft) - but I had same problem and this led me to an unbelievably simple solution - which blows my mind cuz it means i was listening to music like this for the last 3 yrs and had no idea except for a couple of renders that changed some volumes subtley in the mix ... but it was driving me crazy - i thought maybe i was just getting older and didnt have the same ears or something! LOL

anyway... as it turned out... and this is actually kind of embarrassing... I use asio drivers in my daw, but in my computer (when I playback the rendered wav or mp3) it gets played through my computers soundcard (realtek) and... unbeknownst to me... microsoft has some "enhancements". So... maybe this will help someone else... I right clicked on the little speaker in bottom right of my screen (windows 7) and went to playback devices, then double click on "speakers", then click on the "enhancements" tab, then make sure nothing is checked. I had a ridiculous microsoft "enhancement" running for 3 frickin years and had no idea - it was called "loudness equalizer" and the description says it "understands human hearing" makes volume adjustments, etc! No frickin wonder!! I was always upset when i'd render after hours of eq and mixdown only to hear this shiot that sounded nothing like it did in the daw! Hope this helps someone someday - for today I am jumping up and down happy!!
Old 16th November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Hi there, I'm using FL Studio 10 on a machine with a Realtek HD Audio Onboard Sound Card. I also have ASIO4ALL v2 installed with FL Studio.

Basically, my problem is that when I have finished mastering a song to get the sound I want, I export the song to an MP3 or WAV and the finished product sounds significantly different to the sound I would get from playing the song directly in the DAW.

In the audio settings in FL Studio, my device is set to ASIO4ALL v2. If I change it to 'Primary sound driver' the sound changes and resembles that of the exported file. This leads me to believe that when I have finished mixing and mastering a song with the ASIO4ALL device selected, FL Studio uses the 'Primary sound driver' to render it with, giving it a very different sound as the song has I have been hearing the song through the ASIO4ALL driver.

In FL Studio, I could change my audio device to 'Primary sound driver', but using this device gives horrendous latency on midi controllers, hence why I'm using ASIO4ALL.

Is there any way to tell FL Studio to use ASIO4ALL to render the song or does FL Studio just use the built in audio? OR, does the fact that the song in the DAW and the exported WAV or MP3 sound different have nothing to do with the selected audio device?

Other notes:

-John
ok first of all dont ever use the primary sound driver. cause it uses ur laptop or case own sound driver. and it will take the ram of ur own drive which it will massively reduce ur computers performance.

2. hit F10 go to audio and chose ur soundcard asio driver. (u can chose asio4all and chose ur soundcard driver inside ur asio4all.
'
3. hit F11 (project setting ) click on General and turn off ur circular panning law. (it will automatically changes to linear panning law) this will turn off the automatic volume compensation "the sound difference"
and when u export ur final project make sure to chose 512 on the interpolation.

4. if u want mp3 make sure to chose 320kb
Old 11th December 2012
Here for the gear

I am a FL Studio power user, it is most DEFINITELY a problem with you rig, NULL TEST works fine on a FL render.
Old 11th April 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by haven42 View Post
big thank you to everyone on this thread - it helped me solve my problem (I actually dont use fl - I use acoustica mixcraft) - but I had same problem and this led me to an unbelievably simple solution - which blows my mind cuz it means i was listening to music like this for the last 3 yrs and had no idea except for a couple of renders that changed some volumes subtley in the mix ... but it was driving me crazy - i thought maybe i was just getting older and didnt have the same ears or something! LOL

anyway... as it turned out... and this is actually kind of embarrassing... I use asio drivers in my daw, but in my computer (when I playback the rendered wav or mp3) it gets played through my computers soundcard (realtek) and... unbeknownst to me... microsoft has some "enhancements". So... maybe this will help someone else... I right clicked on the little speaker in bottom right of my screen (windows 7) and went to playback devices, then double click on "speakers", then click on the "enhancements" tab, then make sure nothing is checked. I had a ridiculous microsoft "enhancement" running for 3 frickin years and had no idea - it was called "loudness equalizer" and the description says it "understands human hearing" makes volume adjustments, etc! No frickin wonder!! I was always upset when i'd render after hours of eq and mixdown only to hear this shiot that sounded nothing like it did in the daw! Hope this helps someone someday - for today I am jumping up and down happy!!
So how do I get my exported song to sound like it does with "loudness eq." On? Do you have a way to do that? Or any idea how to make the exported sound better?
Old 11th April 2013
You could take the finished product and process with a yourself to give it that sound. But other than that I don't see any practical way to help

Sent from my SPH-L710
Old 19th July 2013
Here for the gear

just figured it out for me atleast try right clicking on the volume icon on the windows toolbar click on open volume mixer then click on the speaker device icon and click the enhacement tab click on disable all sound effects and your good export that good good music u got. i was playing around with the effects so long ago i forgot i even touched them im sure everyone with this problem did the same
Old 13th October 2013
Here for the gear

"ANSWER" the reason primary sound driver sounds so much different than? asio is because asio doesn't have any sound "enhancements" such as the ones you change within windows such equalizers and omni-sound and also turn of sound enhancements in your media player (iTunes, windows media player, ect.)
Old 5th December 2013
Here for the gear

Hey ya! Maybe you need to turn off all effects on your Realtek on your pc. Export with the highest quality setting. Now save project and start up a new project. Open edison drag wave file into edison (the one you just saved) Highlight by pressing "ctrl + A" and click normal save this to another new file then new project and drag the 2ed file (the one you normalized) into the playlist.----NOW READY FOR MASTERING---- you can guess whats next...give you a few seconds.... Go to mast channel in mixer Add Fruity Parametric EQ2
30Hzcut left+ 20,000 right. Add Fruity Multiband compressor threshold -25db Ratio1.5 gain 2.1 Attack 50ms Release 150ms Add Fruity Multiband Compressor Click little switch to FIR low: Threshold -25 Ratio 1.2.1 Keen0% Attack32ms Release 64ms Gain~1.6db Midband Threshold -9db Ratio 18 Knee 76% Attack31ms Release 556ms Gain1.6 db Highband Threshold-11db Ratio 2.0 Knee76% Attack 3.6 Release 48ms Gain 2.7db Next another Parametric EQ2 beast high ends @9000Hz AND lastly add Fruity limiter:Gain 5db Attack4ms Release 250ms Curve3 Ahead:9ms. Careful not to messup u'r track's original sound...
Old 16th December 2013
Here for the gear

Wave instrumental goes offbeat after exporting in Fl Studio ( deadline please help)

Hi my name is Mike Vorwald

Im bussy creating a E.p

and i got this problem:

I made a beat and send it to the artist a mp3 file, ( Demo)
he recorded the vocals and i put those in my Fl project to finish the track,
Now i want to export the whole track in wav for the mastering engineer,

But after exporting the wave the vocal goes offbeat and the beat changes rittem,
i tried to do this while using the Yamaha MW10 mixer as soundcard also i used the Emu tracker pre as soundcard, normally this works fine,
But now this problem comes and im about to drop the e.p for the deadline,

The thing is that the artist cannot load it in Logic pro because the vocals doesnt sound good at rittem anymore,
What is this problem and how can i fix this without losing my files,

( Also i had a problem with 1 track i exported it to 44.1khz -24 and 32 bit
but the problem stays,

thankyou for your help ,
[email protected]
Old 5th February 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:

Other notes:

-John
Use ASIO
Sample Rate 44100 (Anything above this default with FLStudio should sound creepy I understand)
Dithering, Disable Maxpoly, HQ for all plugins
And, 24 bit.

Should work fine.
Old 18th April 2014
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GULL View Post
Use ASIO
Sample Rate 44100 (Anything above this default with FLStudio should sound creepy I understand)
Dithering, Disable Maxpoly, HQ for all plugins
And, 24 bit.

Should work fine.
Why 24 bit and not 32bit float?
Old 18th April 2014
Here for the gear

Long time Fl User

I've been using FL for about 8-9 years for composition/midi input and general arrangement as that's where it's really powerful. I use protools a lot in the studios I study at, they also have logic and Ableton.

But at home, it's FL and cubase.

I've been dubious about FL studios mixing capabilities for some time. I absolutely love the platform and firmly believe if they sort out the mixer they're in-line to make a controversial DAW into one of the staples.

That being said, I decided to run a couple tests to see how the rendering did indeed perform.

I've taken a high quality mp3 (anything will do) and bounced it with a variety of settings. - 16 bit wav, 24 bit wav, 32 bit float wav, 128kbs mp3, 192kbs mp3 and 450kbs mp3.

Now in regards to audio tonality, there was no change other than going down to 128kbs mp3 - as you would expect.

However the difference in dynamic range between the 128kbs mp3 and the 32 bit floating point wav was monstrous.

It seems the 32 bit floating point wav has what can resembles a brickwall limiter on it?? There's no fx on my stereo bus other than the 2 EQ/analyzers...

the mp3 however has had it's dynamic range increased - in reference to the original mp3 I was using.

Summary:

taking a 'standard' mp3 and bouncing it through fl studios render engine produced 2 results.

- Increased dynamic range when bounced to a lower quality mp3
- decreased dynamic range when bounced to the highest quality wav.

Thoughts??

The pictures I've uploaded are in different parts of the track it's not much of a reference but I guess you'll just have to trust me on what I'm saying

mp3
http://tinypic.com/r/b4arg8/8

Wav
Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
Old 11th July 2014
Here for the gear

okay so i think this could help some people out, you might be forgetting to select your soundcard in your mixer, where it says "out" at the bottom right corner of your mixer which means export, should be selected to the soundcard your using.. if im not mistaken it shound export the mixer effects through the soundcard, not 100% sure but try it out! why not!
📝 Reply