The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why I still prefer Samplitude (or other DAWs) over ProToos. Not a debate!
Old 28th May 2020
Here for the gear

Why I still prefer Samplitude (or other DAWs) over ProTools.

Hi there!
First of all I would like this not to become a war between different DAWs. I'm just trying to make a specific point that corresponds to what I do and maybe someone who does something similar.
I am dedicated exclusively to classical music editing, therefore there are many special features of many DAWs that I don't use. I do not do mixing or mastering (with some exceptions just for me). I work together with a studio who do dedicate themselves to the whole process, they have used ProTools for years. Having said that, what I do is listen (hours of it), copy, paste, trim, cut and, above all, crossfading. When everything is ready, I send everything to the studio and they do the rest.
So going to the main point of this post:
Everyone knows that to obtain a good join between two clips it is necessary to use the crossfade.
Here is an example of how Samplitude (or any other DAW: Reaper, Studio One etc ...) handles crossfades:

https://ibb.co/373r4mf

And here ProTools:

https://ibb.co/p3Mkvbg

So, my point is the following:
Those extra clicks that have to be done in ProTools in a session of many hours where you have to make thousands of cuts, become hours, making everything much more tedious. Furthermore, if one or more clips junctions do not work well when listened to in total (quite normal to happen), in ProTools you have to delete the crossfade, correct the clip cut, rejoin them and crossfade them again. In others DAWs that is quicker.
In my specific case and knowing that my editions will be sent to a studio that works with ProTools, it is important that the DAW can export in OMF or AAF format, in order to make everything compatible. For this reason I use Samplitude and not another also very good DAWs like Reaper or Studio One etc...
As I said before, this does not mean that one DAW is better than another, I simply state what is the best for my needs (and may be others) and I would also like ProTools to handle crossfades differently, or at least in the standard way that other DAWs do. May be one day...
I hope this post is of interest to many.
Cheers!

EDIT: Sorry, gifs are not working properly.
Links under the picture.
Old 1st June 2020
Lives for gear

I also very like that feature of Sequoia/Samplitude.
Especially when dealing with overdubs, comping takes, vocal doubles and other stuff you cut into 100s of pieces!

I never used PT but it can probably handle this too, maybe just a setting somewhere... I don't know...
Old 7th July 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Flint View Post
I also very like that feature of Sequoia/Samplitude.
Especially when dealing with overdubs, comping takes, vocal doubles and other stuff you cut into 100s of pieces!

I never used PT but it can probably handle this too, maybe just a setting somewhere... I don't know...
Likely. Pro Tools is industry standard for post due to its Audio Editing prowess, particularly in the Ultimate SKU.

Meanwhile, Samplitude still doesn’t have “Snap to Zero Crossing,” which basically the rest of the market implemented a decade or two ago.

I dropped it due to bad performance, as well. VIP Arranger is laggy AF just scrolling around on my machines. All of them, and this problem is over a decade old. God help you if you use a HiDPI display (1440p, UHD). It can easily become unusable if you have large projects.

Lastly, I hate Samplitude’s track handling. Trying to organize tracks, the DAW literally fights against you. Basically have to template everything to avoid having to deal with this. I’ve never spent so much time making sure tracks didn’t inadvertently get added to folders, even when the folder is collapsed dragging a track under it will add the track to that folder, etc. And the arranger gives no indication of folder nesting (e.g. track indentation). You have to eyeball the Track Manager, which is equally unusable for easy track and folder organization. All of the Managers are bad, frankly (esp the VSTi manager - that thing is straight from 1999).

The non-dockable plugin browser and lack of drag and drop is just icing on the cake. Things that just slow you down for no reason when working in the DAW.

Decent at audio editing, but horrendous workflow and user experience. I had to escape it, to Cubase - esp. when I saw the X5 upgrade price and what they actually did in that upgrade... But, I’m also running Cakewalk because free and it’s developing faster than Samplitude, these days, despite the ridiculous price point.
Old 16th July 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trensharo View Post
Likely. Pro Tools is industry standard for post due to its Audio Editing prowess, particularly in the Ultimate SKU.

Meanwhile, Samplitude still doesn’t have “Snap to Zero Crossing,” which basically the rest of the market implemented a decade or two ago.

I dropped it due to bad performance, as well. VIP Arranger is laggy AF just scrolling around on my machines. All of them, and this problem is over a decade old. God help you if you use a HiDPI display (1440p, UHD). It can easily become unusable if you have large projects.

Lastly, I hate Samplitude’s track handling. Trying to organize tracks, the DAW literally fights against you. Basically have to template everything to avoid having to deal with this. I’ve never spent so much time making sure tracks didn’t inadvertently get added to folders, even when the folder is collapsed dragging a track under it will add the track to that folder, etc. And the arranger gives no indication of folder nesting (e.g. track indentation). You have to eyeball the Track Manager, which is equally unusable for easy track and folder organization. All of the Managers are bad, frankly (esp the VSTi manager - that thing is straight from 1999).

The non-dockable plugin browser and lack of drag and drop is just icing on the cake. Things that just slow you down for no reason when working in the DAW.

Decent at audio editing, but horrendous workflow and user experience. I had to escape it, to Cubase - esp. when I saw the X5 upgrade price and what they actually did in that upgrade... But, I’m also running Cakewalk because free and it’s developing faster than Samplitude, these days, despite the ridiculous price point.
Hi. I've see you around the Samplitude forum complaining and sharing your bad experience with it. I'm really sorry man, I've been using Samplitude for more that a decade and it always met my expectations. But as I said above, my work is exclusively with classical music where not so many features are required. For me auto-crossfade and AAF export/import are the only "must".
Cheers!
Old 14th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trensharo View Post

Totally opposite experience. Love sequoia and sampletude I have both. I move flawlessly through the program. Not laggy with my pc
Old 14th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Thread opener: Why do you use equal gain crossfades? Isnt it absolutely basic to use equal power crossfades everywhere?
Old 23rd September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco_well View Post
Thread opener: Why do you use equal gain crossfades? Isnt it absolutely basic to use equal power crossfades everywhere?
To be honest, in classical music it doesn't make much difference what types of crossfades are used. The clips are from different takes but the music is the same (we follow a score after all), for that reason I would say that the equal gain crossfade would be better, however the main reason for using crossfades in classical music is only to avoid the joint's clicks, nothing more.
What I am trying to clarify in this thread is how quickly two different DAWs handle the crossfades and due to those extra mouse clicks that must be done in ProTools to achieve the crossfades (and especially to tweak them, if necessary) does not make the work very fast.
But I repeat, I speak only from the point of view of someone who edits classical music.
📝 Reply