The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trouble with Limiter in Garageband for Voiceover Work
Old 22nd May 2020
Here for the gear

Trouble with Limiter in Garageband for Voiceover Work

Hey all! I've been using Garageband on my Macbook Pro to record audiobooks for ACX. ACX has a narrow range of acceptable sound for their audio files--they've got to be above -23db and below -3db. I'm using an Audient id4 interface with a Coudlifter and Shure sM7b mic, and I need to crank my gain up pretty high to meet the lower threshold for sound (at around 9 out of 10 on the gain knob, even with the Cloudlifter. Even a fraction lower, and my files get tagged for being below -23db). The issue is that with the gain that high, now some of my files are getting tagged for have peak values that are too high (above 0db, when the limit for ACX is -3db). I set the master limiter in Garageband at -3db to keep this from happening, but it doesn't seem to be working. Files are still getting flagged for having high peak values. Have other folks had issues with the Garageband limiter not working? Are there other ways to ensure that my peaks aren't too high? An easy post-processing trick, for example? My waveform doesn't look crazy, btw--when I magnify it on Garageband, it mostly falls in a band between 0 and 50 with a couple of spikes reaching toward 100 but NONE of them go "off-screen"/appear to clip or be cut off at the edges of the waveform band (that probably isn't technical terminology, still learning my way through all of this stuff).

I'm attaching a screen shot of what my waveform looks like at the loudest point in the track--this is a file that was flagged for having peaks above 0db, which I recorded with the limiter set to -3db. Help??
Attached Thumbnails
Trouble with Limiter in Garageband for Voiceover Work-garageband-screenshot.jpg  
📝 Reply