The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
FL Studio buffer underruns when they should't be happening
Old 9th December 2019
Here for the gear

FL Studio buffer underruns when they should't be happening

Hey guys.

So I got myself a Lenovo Ideapad 340 Gaming laptop with i7-9750H, 16gb RAM and a SSD and I,m having trouble with performance in FL Studio 20. I really thought that I shouldn't have a lot of problems with this thing. I let a loop with 3 Serum instances play, of which 1 has a lot of voices and I'm getting a couple of underruns every 5 seconds or so, with buffer length on 1024. I've done all the optimisation tips recommended on the IL website, threaded processing on plugins, smart disable, tried different buffer settings, different ASIOs (ASIO4all, Focusrite, M-Audio Fast Track). Windows 10 runs on high performance. During this loop, FL cpu load is about 40 and memory usage 2K+. Task manager shows no spikes, will also add a pic of task manager while the loop is playing. Laptop itself has a Realtek sound card.

So I run the exact same loop on my desktop with Intel Pentium G4600 @3,6 ghz, 8gb RAM, HDD and it plays nicely and could take more. No internal sound card. With this one FL shows cpu load about 45 and memory usage 6k+. Now this CPUs passmark is 4k and the laptop's is 13k. I thought this for sure would be relevant on music production performance or am I wrong on this and I just picked a bad option for music production?

Kinda out of ideas here, need your help! If anyone has any idea what could be the problem I'd be thankful.
Attached Thumbnails
FL Studio buffer underruns when they should't be happening-20191209_092518.jpg  
📝 Reply