Mixcraft 9 out now!
Old 3rd December 2019
Gear Maniac

Smile Mixcraft 9 out now!

https://acoustica.com/mixcraft/

...and boy does it look good!
Old 13th December 2019
Lives for gear
Still the user-friendliest DAW I've ever used. Free trial and priced comparably to Reaper IIRC, some very nice stock plugins too!
Old 27th December 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Still the user-friendliest DAW I've ever used. Free trial and priced comparably to Reaper IIRC, some very nice stock plugins too!
REAPER gives you 2 full versions of upgrades. So people who buy now (REAPER 6.02) will get free upgrades until REAPER 7.99. REAPER 8 will probably arrive in about a decade, Lol. The costs aren't remotely comparable, when you factor in the long-term cost of ownership of both products, unless you assume you're never going to [need to] upgrade MixCraft.

There is no comparison in terms of value there.

Also, REAPER has some functionality that beyond what MixCraft offers.

If you do any Orchestral Music or Film Scoring, then REAPER has it all over MixCraft. The Score Editor is exponentially better, and it both Imports and Exports MusicXML from Score Editors.

I don't think the budnled Plugins/Instruments are worth much. You can get AIR's stuff for dirt cheap, these days, and most of that is better than what MixCraft Ships. A lot of the value adds are cheap packs from companies like ToneBoosters.

I'd rather download Cakewalk by BandLab and buy the Waves Silver Bundle and AIR AIEP3 Complete for about the same price as MixCraft Pro Studio. You'll end up with a better DAW and better Instruments/Synths and plugins.

I think the DAW is fine for what it achieves to be. It's just unfortunate that it is stuck on Windows and now competing with better products with a $0 price tag.
Old 28th December 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trensharo View Post
REAPER gives you 2 full versions of upgrades. So people who buy now (REAPER 6.02) will get free upgrades until REAPER 7.99.
So you can go from v6 to v7. That sounds like 1 full version upgrade included and some minor incremental ones.

And upgrading from Mixcraft 8 to 9 is a mere $19. Hardly the huge diff you're trying to make it out to be.

Quote:
Also, REAPER has some functionality that beyond what MixCraft offers.

If you do any Orchestral Music or Film Scoring,
I don't. I suspect most home studio users don't either.

Quote:
I don't think the budnled Plugins/Instruments are worth much.
We'll agree to disagree there.

Quote:
You can get AIR's stuff for dirt cheap, these days,
I was curious so I checked. Their soft synth, Hybrid 3, is $150. Hardly cheap. Their piano plugin with its whopping 7 voices is $80. Pass. Regardless, I don't think it's a reason to bypass Mixcraft for Reaper.

Quote:
I'd rather download Cakewalk by BandLab
Free does make it appealing, but I tried it and thought it sucked. Of course that's just one opinion, no more no less. I'm sure there are those who like it and that's cool, to each their own.

Quote:
I think the DAW is fine for what it achieves to be. It's just unfortunate that it is stuck on Windows and now competing with better products with a $0 price tag.
I'm on Windows so I couldn't care less about that part. Re. "better," again we'll agree to disagree. I've tried the freebies out there, thought they are all pretty terrible, except Audacity, which is super easy and friendly, just that it's also quite limited.

But all this might vary with what you're doing, like the orchestration stuff, can't speak to that. For someone looking for an overall user-friendly DAW though IMO it cannot be beat.
📝 Reply