The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is it possible to recover an unsaved recording on a Yamaha AW16g?
Old 23rd June 2019
Here for the gear

Is it possible to recover an unsaved recording on a Yamaha AW16g?

During the intermission of a concert last night, I went to check on the Yamaha AW16g that I was using to record the concert, and I tripped over the power cord, which pulled the plug out of the wall before I had a chance to push the stop button on the AW16g and save the recording. I plugged the AW16 back in, but of course it showed that I had not recorded anything. I created a new song file and name for the second half of the concert, which I recorded without a problem.

Is there any way to recover the unsaved recording of the first half of the concert? I presume that the machine was recording it to some "temporary" file before it was going to be "saved." But, I have no idea whether it is possible -- or how -- to access such a file and restore it.

I fear that there is no solution to this, but I would be very appreciative if any of you know a way to recover that recording!

Thank you.
Old 27th June 2019
Lives for gear

Sadly, no. There is no way to recover anything on the AW16G if you didn't manually save.

For future reference, there is one issue I've figured out how to remedy in the event you encounter this issue:
If you're running low on space.. there is a chance that during editing (especially if you move fast) while copy/pasting a track.. your audio will seem to 'smear' , if you will. At its worst, entire tracks will be spread across other ones, totally destroying your work. In the event that this happens to you, copy the affected track to a new virtual track, and the issue will be resolved on the new track. I lost quite a few great recordings before I discovered this fix.

Remember to save as often as humanly possible

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search