The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
FL Studio exporting my tracks louder than they are in my session
Old 17th June 2019
Here for the gear

FL Studio exporting my tracks louder than they are in my session

I researched this and found tons of people having issues with FL exporting their tracks at a lower volume but the opposite is happening for me. Has anyone experienced this?
Old 17th June 2019
Gear Addict

I don't use FL much but I do own it. How exactly are you measuring this volume difference? What application are you using to play the exported file and what meters are you using to measure the difference in volume?
Old 17th June 2019
Gear Addict

The first thing you need to do is bring the exported file back into the session you just exported it from and compare the volume of the exported file with the session. You can't compare their volumes properly unless they are within the same application. Otherwise they are subject to volume changes from your system volume and probably the application you use to listen back outside of FL. Be sure to measure the session with any mixbus processing active and the exported file without the mixbus processing active. Otherwise the exported file will be running through the mixbus a second time.
Old 18th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notheorem729 View Post
The first thing you need to do is bring the exported file back into the session you just exported it from and compare the volume of the exported file with the session. You can't compare their volumes properly unless they are within the same application. Otherwise they are subject to volume changes from your system volume and probably the application you use to listen back outside of FL. Be sure to measure the session with any mixbus processing active and the exported file without the mixbus processing active. Otherwise the exported file will be running through the mixbus a second time.
Thanks for the reply, bringing the file back into FL is what I've been doing. I'll elaborate a bit.

I have 4 plugins on my master bus. Before I export, the master is peaking a bit under 0db, no clipping at all. Sounds very smooth.

I export the mp3 and bring it back into FL Studio so I can see where the track is peaking. At this point I take all plugins off the master so I can hear the track exactly as I exported it with no additional processing. It's peaking at about 1-2 dB, lots of distortion.

So I go back to my session and take the last plugin in the chain off. Now it's peaking at -3dB. I export that file (with the last plugin in the chain still deactivated), bring it into FL and its peaking at 0db with no clipping/distortion, pretty much how I hear it in my session when the last plugin IS activated. It should be at -3dB.

I could just turn the master down -3dB but I'd like what I hear in my session to be what I export so I don't have to play the guessing game every time I finish a song.
Old 18th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
I don't use FL much but I do own it. How exactly are you measuring this volume difference? What application are you using to play the exported file and what meters are you using to measure the difference in volume?
I'm bringing the exported file back into FL Studio and turning all plugins on the master off so I'm hearing the exported track with no additional processing. This is why I'm really confused on what's happening. I'm not using a media player or anything that would alter the sound.
Old 18th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbynes View Post
I'm bringing the exported file back into FL Studio and turning all plugins on the master off so I'm hearing the exported track with no additional processing. This is why I'm really confused on what's happening. I'm not using a media player or anything that would alter the sound.
Have you tried turning off the mixbus plugins and exporting it to see if the volume still changes? I'm inclined to think that the only way FL would cause this is if there's a setting that allows a volume change during export. Which leads me to wonder if it's a plugin somehow.

The thing is you're working within a floating-point in-depth environment which means its technically not possible to clip within FL. However, if the audio is clipping and then is converted to a non floating point bit-depth the clipping will occur. Another thing is that I don't know if the mixbus plugins are post-meter but if they are then they could introduce changes that aren't reflected on the meter but are visible once you bring the exported track back in. I'm just throwing ideas out though. I can jump in FL tomorrow and try to replicate this though. What format are you mixing the session down to?
Old 18th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Have you tried turning off the mixbus plugins and exporting it to see if the volume still changes? I'm inclined to think that the only way FL would cause this is if there's a setting that allows a volume change during export. Which leads me to wonder if it's a plugin somehow.

The thing is you're working within a floating-point in-depth environment which means its technically not possible to clip within FL. However, if the audio is clipping and then is converted to a non floating point bit-depth the clipping will occur. Another thing is that I don't know if the mixbus plugins are post-meter but if they are then they could introduce changes that aren't reflected on the meter but are visible once you bring the exported track back in. I'm just throwing ideas out though. I can jump in FL tomorrow and try to replicate this though. What format are you mixing the session down to?
Yeah, when I take the last plugin in the chain off, which is T-Racks Brickwall Limiter, I go from just under 0dB to -3dB, but when I export, since FL seems to be adding about 3dB, the track is basically as it is in my session when I have the plugin activated. So it seems like no big deal but I can see it causing confusion in future projects. I make and sell instrumentals so I'm always saving 2 versions of the song, one to show to artists that nice and loud and one without all the mix bus processing so the artist can actually record to the song and have it mixed.

I've mixed down both mp3 and wav versions to see if they both do the same thing which they do. Thanks for your help man I really appreciate you taking the time.
Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear

Plugin wrapper has a check box called "Notify about rendering mode". That might make a difference.

Quote:
Notify about rendering mode - The plugin is informed when FL Studio is rendering so it can switch to a higher quality output, if possible. This must be selected to achieve HQ rendering from plugins that support different real-time and rendered quality. Try deselecting this option if a plugin is not rendering correctly.

Old 18th June 2019
Lives for gear

Export issues are one of the reasons why I stopped using fl studio 10 years ago. Mix in fl studio almost never sounded same as exported one! Dont know have they fixed that bit judging by OP post, they didnt. Before, I had also volume issues, eq issues, peaks going through limiter, etc etc
Old 19th June 2019
Here for the gear

After over an hour of exporting, changing settings, export, change settings..it seems I figured out the issue. I had to go into the sound settings on my PC and click 'properties' on my interface and disable Exclusive mode ('allow applications to take exclusive control of this device.) Super weird and even more frustrating. If I didnt know FL inside out I would probably switch to Ableton, but at this point in time I don't want to sacrifice creativity to learn the ins and outs of a new DAW. I'm slowly but surely getting fed up with FL Studio though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search