The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sequoia vs sonar
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

Sequoia vs sonar

I must say I am impressed with how sequoia handles the audio. I can clearly hear a difference. Sonar for some reason smeared the audio and make it muddy and cloudy. I don't know how to put it.

Sonar would choke easily at a few higher demanding plugins and dropouts were constant really annoying and frustrating. Sequoia has not dropped up one time and i been running some really intense plugins. Not to mention I could never run my audio at 512. Its worth the move to magix. They did a fine job. The only thing i hate is doing some redo's or undo's while the audio engine is playing results in a instant crash. I just need to remember that. I am so glad i moved on.
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
The only thing i hate is doing some redo's or undo's while the audio engine is playing results in a instant crash.
Hi trevon,
maybe it would be a good idea to join the samplitude/sequoia community

https://support2.magix.com/boards/samplitude/

and to describe your problem there.
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not to mention I could never run my audio at 512. Its worth the move to magix. They did a fine job. The only thing i hate is doing some redo's or undo's while the audio engine is playing results in a instant crash. I just need to remember that.
Does this happen when you set the buffer higher? Sounds like a sync/buffer issue to me but it doesn't happen here, just tried it. Even on a lower buffersize. What version are you working with? I remember earlier Sam versions that had problems with latency compensation when editing plugins or vsti's during playback. The engine needed a short stop/play-pause to get back in sync.
Old 29th June 2019
Lives for gear

Samplitude X4/Sequoia 15 is truly no less than an awesome DAW. A VERY capable alternative to Cubase, Pro Tools (lol), Reaper and Studio One.
Old 7th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Just got a chance to try it out, along with Sound Forge.

First time around, mouse buttons were faffed... no matter if I clicked right or left, I got the Mouse Mode popup. Had to End Task to get it to close and then restarted, it found an update (?? how is there an update when the demo installer just installed the latest version ??), but now buttons worked at least.

I do agree, the actual look of the channel headers is very sharp. 3D look without being overboard like Cubase was from 7-9.5 (but they finally fixed that by going flatter in v10). I stumbled into automation paint mode - I did find it very smooth to paint in automation on the waveform itself. I think Studio One can do that too, not sure about Cubase.

Also, I did like how I could move the playhead by clicking anywhere on a wave file on any track... makes sense, you see where in the waveform you want to skip to, why not let you click there... except then, you move playback around when you don't mean to, also. Not sure if S1 or C10 can do that, will have to look into it.

But overall, it crashed again. Also demo'ed Sound Forge 13 Pro, it crashed as soon as I hit record, I'll give it a break and assume it didn't like my default driver or something. But each time I start it, it takes 3-4 minutes! I have no VSTs in my standard VST plugin directories. The bit of time it was open in between crashes, it didn't look that exciting. Yes, a dark theme, but not much different.

Funny thing is I was a Samplitude user way, way back before Magix bought them. I am sure it has some more fun surprises, but I am afraid this little sojourn that I've been waiting to take for a long time will have to end. I was willing to put in the effort to learn it, but too much just seems hard to figure out in a minute or two (could not figure out how to show the promised automation lanes, for example). Plus a lot of things are standard Windows popups/controls still (as in Acid Pro), feels very 2001-2007ish.

I am thinking most of the user base is simply those who have used it since way back and never left. Anyway, I tried! I got angry with Cubase often from version 8-9.5, hence my foray into Studio One. But at last it never crashed on a simple project. And now more than ever, it's easy to find stuff. The level of complexity of finding stuff in Samplitude Pro X4 is more like Cubase was in versions 6-8, I would say.

To be fair, Magix as a company seems to piss me off any chance they get. Such as when I bought Acid Pro 8 earlier this year and now already it's version 9, which should really be version 8.1. And no free upgrade... in fact, for me to "upgrade", it would cost the same $99 as the full version is on sale for! I mean, $20, $40-50, ok, maybe. But $99 for a few minor version fixes/additions? No thanks. So I guess the bar was pretty high for either Sound Forge Pro 13 or Samplitude Pro X4 to blow me away.

Edit: I did get Sound Forge Pro working. I forgot I had a junction in one of my standard VST folders for Steinberg's stuff so it was scanning that. Still feels kind of old. But selecting audio, moving it around, etc., is pretty quick (but the way I remember). Am going to try WaveLab Elements/Pro now, pretty sure I am still headed that direction.
Old 7th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Ha, I just realized this was originally about Sequoia... not Pro x4. anyway I watched more KrazNet videos. Now I see where they sort of hid the automation lanes. I don’t know, part of me wants to try it out more. Could be cool to use different effects on different objects... but then hard to remember/see that you did that, whereas just splitting to separate tracks, and using different channel plugins/settings, you remember which ones are variations of effects or different effects more easily...
Old 8th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Boy, I am lucky, no one has flamed me yet! Just wanted to stop by and add, after playing with Samplitude Pro X4 demo again a bit (and forgetting the initial issues I had even getting the mouse to work), I must say, it looks and "feels" very good overall. I didn't think "docking" setups could get any more evolved but it does seem much more flexible than Cubase/Studio One/Bitwig.

The way you can either have wave files/projects as tabs or one above the other - that's pretty insane!

IF anyone still follows this thread - do you pretty much use it as your wave editor also? Was about to pull the trigger on WaveLab Pro, but have some time before sale is over. Maybe if I can get a used copy of Samplitude and upgrade to X4, that will satisfy my needs for now... hmmm.

I see it has mix saves too, I wonder if it's as good as Cubase's... so there WAS another DAW that had it before Cubase! I knew there must be.

Weird thing is, I cannot figure out how to cut a simple wave file into parts so I can test the object editing. The T option is disabled. Hopefully I figure it out soon. Edit: ok, I guess it's like I thought, you can only split if you're editing a wave inside a VIP/project file. I guess it makes sense.
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockafella View Post
Boy, I am lucky, no one has flamed me yet! Just wanted to stop by and add, after playing with Samplitude Pro X4 demo again a bit (and forgetting the initial issues I had even getting the mouse to work), I must say, it looks and "feels" very good overall. I didn't think "docking" setups could get any more evolved but it does seem much more flexible than Cubase/Studio One/Bitwig.

The way you can either have wave files/projects as tabs or one above the other - that's pretty insane!

IF anyone still follows this thread - do you pretty much use it as your wave editor also? Was about to pull the trigger on WaveLab Pro, but have some time before sale is over. Maybe if I can get a used copy of Samplitude and upgrade to X4, that will satisfy my needs for now... hmmm.

I see it has mix saves too, I wonder if it's as good as Cubase's... so there WAS another DAW that had it before Cubase! I knew there must be.

Weird thing is, I cannot figure out how to cut a simple wave file into parts so I can test the object editing. The T option is disabled. Hopefully I figure it out soon. Edit: ok, I guess it's like I thought, you can only split if you're editing a wave inside a VIP/project file. I guess it makes sense.
i dont edit any waves inside there. i normally export or use the project wave files inside adobe audition. I wish they had a way to integrate sound forge editing inside of it since its the same company. I don't think i'll ever leave sequoia. i work so much faster in this then i did in sonar and the best thing i never got one since drop out. sonar was drops out were ridiculous. i used it since for over 20 years exclusively and boy i am kicking my self in the behind for not leaving it behind.

keep in mind there are some things that sequoia is kinda finicky with and prone to crash if you undo/redo while playing the audio engine. I noticed it does not like relab 480 reverb plugin unless i use it in ddmf metaplugin. but sooooo much to love about its workflow i literally feel like i been using it for 20 years already.
Old 11th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
i dont edit any waves inside there. i normally export or use the project wave files inside adobe audition. I wish they had a way to integrate sound forge editing inside of it since its the same company. I don't think i'll ever leave sequoia. i work so much faster in this then i did in sonar and the best thing i never got one since drop out. sonar was drops out were ridiculous. i used it since for over 20 years exclusively and boy i am kicking my self in the behind for not leaving it behind.

keep in mind there are some things that sequoia is kinda finicky with and prone to crash if you undo/redo while playing the audio engine. I noticed it does not like relab 480 reverb plugin unless i use it in ddmf metaplugin. but sooooo much to love about its workflow i literally feel like i been using it for 20 years already.
Thanks for the feedback... yeah I did read on their support forum that some had issues with certain plugins.

I actually went ahead and got the Pro X4 license, I also got WaveLab Pro. I dunno, they all seem great in their own ways! (plus Pro X4 comes with Sound Forge 11 Pro which brings back memories - I don't see the need to upgrade it to a newer version - WL Pro of course is much nicer overall feeling, but somehow Sound Forge has some default behaviors I'm more comfortable with)

All these darned DAWs! Why can't they just all merge! (well that wouldn't really be good, but you know what I mean) It's funny because I finally got around to updating my Studio One - for creating, it's just so easy to use and easy to look at. But even just starting a project, at 64 samples, it's easy to get some crackles going. Whereas Cubase can go pretty far at that setting, and I am sure Samplitude can also.

I really didn't need Samplitude, and even though I did demo it for a few hours, I am still feeling overwhelmed looking at it. I need to watch more KrazNet and follow along in realtime I guess to get a better feel for it. Maybe I'll just save it for times that I want to do an object-oriented workflow, I don't know. I am realizing the MIDI editor really isn't that great, unless I am missing stuff on it still. (I probably am!) But then other stuff like the layouts, not just for the whole interface but just for the meters tab, it's pretty deep!
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, it is... and yes it does make sense. Doubleclicking on a wav-sample opens up an own editor-window. Regarding the object-editor it's kinda insane how many options you have then, plugins of course, sends, fades etc. You can also cut a sample into pieces and then re-group a few samples to edit in groups. I use it a lot when mixing drum-tracks!

btw: You can do shortcuts for anything in SEQ... you can change the standard mouse-pointer to the cut mode by pressing/holding any key (you programmed in the shortcut-tab), very handy!

Working with SEQ/SAM since 20 yrs soon, I once asked for a SEQ/SAM subforum, but nothing ever happened, not even an answer!
Old 12th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Thanks for that help... yeah I definitely need to learn more about which shortcuts do what and set some custom ones up! I was surprised too there was no dedicated sub-forum for it on here. Would be nice. (I used Samplitude about 20 years ago last, hehe - when it it was SAW Studio or whatever that name was... funny to think, what if instead of "DAW", we all used the acronym "SAW" nowadays?)
Old 18th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for that help... yeah I definitely need to learn more about which shortcuts do what and set some custom ones up! I was surprised too there was no dedicated sub-forum for it on here. Would be nice. (I used Samplitude about 20 years ago last, hehe - when it it was SAW Studio or whatever that name was... funny to think, what if instead of "DAW", we all used the acronym "SAW" nowadays?)
I think once you get the hang of it you'll be making music in no time. It really is easy once you figure out a few things. I find it easier sand faster then sonar . No drop outs no lagging just works when i need it too. Still not perfect but id say its as perfect as ive could get for a daw

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search