The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Architect (Triumph) disappearance! Anyone know anything ... ?
Old 18th May 2019
Here for the gear

Aurchitect (Triumph) disappearance! Anyone know anything ... ?

Hi everyone

Does anyone know what's going on with Aurchitect? I use Triumph for mastering and have experienced a problem with my Waves plugins recently that I assumed I could get help with in the usual way from their customer support.
But no reply after four days.
So I emailed again, and it bounced back with a "server not recognised" message.
So I went to the website, and it has gone! Completely!
So I did a google search and there's almost no sign of any discussion or news about this, except for one hit in the Google search list which shows a preview of this text:

"Aurchitect Audio Software
https://aurchitect-staging.com/
Aurchitect simply can not afford to go through a lawsuit, so I have no choice but to ... I sincerely apologize to all of you, and I'm not sure exactly what's going to ..."

But when I click through to see the page it leads to another dead end - this webpage has been deleted.

I only recently (late March 2019) had to contact them with another question and everything seemed fine and normal then - got a quick helpful response, website was definitely up and running.

Anyone know anything?

Mark

Last edited by markmarketstall; 19th May 2019 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: Autocorrect! Gave me architect instead of aurchitect
Old 18th May 2019
Here for the gear
Dammit! I've been looking around for the same explanation, as I have two open tickets with them, with no replies for 2 weeks, and right now the support portal doesn't allow me to log in ("portal isn't available"). Then I found out the Twitter account is no more, and finally the website.

Gobsmacked, I'm a Triumph and Myriad user, and this is a blow!
Old 18th May 2019
Here for the gear
I've reached out to Evan via email, managed to find a personal account from Github, let's see if he replies...
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

I pulled this from the Google cache:

May 17, 2019
Dear customers:
I have extraordinarily bad news to share with you. The owners of Audiofile Engineering have insisted that I broke our long-term agreement (by being 2 days late on a royalty payment), and despite repeated attempts to solve the situation, Aurchitect was threatened with litigation to "return" all of the software. Aurchitect simply can not afford to go through a lawsuit, so I have no choice but to sign over my copyrights and give the apps to Audiofile Engineering as of today.
To say that I’m disappointed in the situation is a vast understatement. I’ve been working on these apps for upwards of 15 years, and to have them taken unwillingly from me, their original and sole author, is heartbreaking.
I sincerely apologize to all of you, and I’m not sure exactly what’s going to happen next with the apps. I did my best, I fought hard, but in the end Audiofile Engineering simply had more money behind them than I did. All questions about Triumph, Myriad, Spectre, Loop Editor, Aura, and Audaptor should be directed here.
Sincerely
Evan Olcott
Ex-Chief Aurchitect
Aurchitect Audio Software

It looks as though it’s reverting to Audiofile - but I thought Audiofile sold all this to Evan because they didn’t want to continue.
Old 18th May 2019
Here for the gear
This is such BS from Audiofile. Btw, I saw they were acquired by another company in 2018. I sincerely doubt I'm going to be using their apps after this. I liked Evan, he's a great developer and an all-round nice person.
Old 20th May 2019
Here for the gear

technical support?

Can anyone suggest where I can go for technical support while this mess is unresolved? Got people waiting on masters ...
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

The company that bought Audiofile is Krekeltronics(.com). On the assumption that the Triumph etc copyrights ultimately by way of Audiofile passed onto them, that's probably the official channel. But I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope. The Audiofile site hasn't been updated in a while and there's not much at krekeltronics.com - other than an ominous passage about expertise on patent law on the home page. I wouldn't be surprised to find this situation arose out of a desire to get hold of some saleable IP on the cheap.
Old 20th May 2019
Here for the gear

Such a shame, I really like Myriad. Trial has ended and I can't use it anymore and it seems imposible to make it work. I've emailed everyone I've found and no response, I can't purchase it!!. Anyone has an idea on how can I get it? contact info or something?
Old 22nd May 2019
Gear Nut

This is a disappointing situation.
I've noticed now that Myriad will only open when I'm offline.

Realised that I don't have the most recent version of Myriad.
Would anyone be will to send me their copy? I have my own license.
Old 22nd May 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoChulapi View Post
Such a shame, I really like Myriad. Trial has ended and I can't use it anymore and it seems imposible to make it work. I've emailed everyone I've found and no response, I can't purchase it!!. Anyone has an idea on how can I get it? contact info or something?
I'd sell it to you, but it's never gonna work. The authentication server isn't there anymore, and even if I changed my computer I wouldn't be able to authenticate my own legit copy after installing it.

Seriously annoying, and a waste of money.
Old 22nd May 2019
Here for the gear

this is a major bummer. been using Wave Editor since beta days, and moved on to Triumph, Myriad, etc. was eagerly awaiting this new Triumph update. the f*ck is Krekeltronics? all them nature photos don't dispel the blank-eyed tech-garble all too familiar to those of us hanging on in the Bay Area. very sad for Evan.
Old 25th May 2019
Here for the gear

Hi all,

Good (?) news for you who have Aurchitect products AND a BACKUP (in my case from Carbon Copy Cloner) of an old macOS install when your apps where activated, and for anyone who wants to activate the impossible-now-to-activate-license(s).

After hours of research, I've found where the licenses files are stored (I have purchased Aura and Myriad) :

It's in a hidden folder that you can't even see with a 'ls -al' in a Terminal, but you can copy the licenses with a simple 'rsync -av' command.

1) rsync the user Library folder from the macOS backup to a place (for example Documents/Aurchitect/) on an external HDD.
2) With the Finder, open the rsync'ed user Library (Documents/Aurchitect/Library/) and delete everything.
3) Do your clean macOS install
4) In my case, I've reinstalled Aura and Myriad
5) rsync -av <place where old user library has been backed up>/Library/ /User/<user name>/Library/
6) That's it !
7) Enjoy

Hope it will be useful for you friends.

Best,

Nad
Old 27th May 2019
Gear Addict

Customer initiated class action lawsuit?
Old 27th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexus View Post
Customer initiated class action lawsuit?
I don’t understand: Evan Olcott gets kicked in the teeth, and you’re suggesting sueing him?
Old 27th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vze26m98 View Post
I don’t understand: Evan Olcott gets kicked in the teeth, and you’re suggesting sueing him?
Boy, theres a lot you must not understand. Now why would I suggest suing evan? I didnt even say that. Its directed at whomever took the products over, not evan.
Old 27th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
I thought he was saying to sue audio-file engineering as in if they are going to claim ownership of the applications, they are also claiming ownership of liabilities and support.

I think any judge would see audiofile engineerings actions as excessive for being 2 days late on a royalty payment. It hurts a large customer base not just Evan.

If audio-engineering has deep pockets as Evan says, it may be an attractive class action depending on the details. Lawyers would need a couple of named plaintiffs.

Evan if you read this, it would be helpful to find out how many customers have licenses. More information about the current ownership of audiofile engineering.

Last edited by strumm; 27th May 2019 at 05:02 PM..
Old 27th May 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
I’m sure he means Audiofile Engineering, or the company who now owns

EDIT - for whatever reason, my browser didn’t show me the two replies above %-)
Old 27th May 2019
Gear Head

Here is an article about the new audiofile engineering.

https://www.lcnewschronicle.com/busi...usic-tech-firm

Here is a video of their new headquarters...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGezyYN_xXA

---------

I've emailed them for support.
Old 27th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoyle View Post
I thought he was saying to sue audio-file engineering as in if they are going to claim ownership of the applications, they are also claiming ownership of liabilities and support.
Well, there's no indirect object in his post to indicate whom he suggests suing. And his subject: "customers" refers to Aurchitect. I suppose I'd infer what you're suggesting, but as this is Gearslutz, as Shane McFee commented where "no good deed goes unpunished", I really have no idea what the poster meant.

I think that the unpublished letter from Evan says that Audiofile is revoking his license, so there's no obligation for them to subsume Aurchitect's responsibilities to its customers.

Quote:
I think any judge would see audiofile engineerings actions as excessive for being 2 days late on a royalty payment. It hurts a large customer base not just Evan. If audio-engineering has deep pockets as Evan says, it may be an attractive class action depending on the details. Lawyers would need a couple of named plaintiffs.
Again, Evan says he doesn't have the resources to defend himself, so he's giving up. It's not for nothing that business law is called "The Sport of Kings". I think Audiofile's response to any "class action" (assuming such a thing could even get off the ground, given the licensee's capitulation) would be that they "intend to exploit the software to the benefit of existing customers soon."

One of the early posters I think has this correct when they said that Audiofile is clawing back the software so they can value it higher than it's current revenue stream would indicate, so that they can be sold. It's significant that Krekeltronics has been involved so long in this with nary a peep. Time for them to "pump and dump".
Old 27th May 2019
Gear Head

I agree with most of what you say, but a customer class action against audiofile engineering doesn't require any involvement of Evan Olcott.

I purchased my software from Audiofile Engineering, and upgraded with Aurchitect, and my current software doesn't work due to this license server issue, and I have a feeling it never will work again.

I'm not saying this is a slam dunk, but if it could be proven that audiofile engineering is harming customers by acting excessively and unreasonably in this royalty situation, then maybe we could receive compensation.

Also, you don't need funding if the case is 100% winnable, because an attorney will take it because audiofile engineering will pay all the attorney fees if they lose. If audiofile engineering is going to chum the waters, then they need to be prepared when the real sharks start moving.

Last edited by strumm; 27th May 2019 at 09:01 PM..
Old 27th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here is an article about the new...
Thanks for this. I note that the article is dated 1 September 2017, and my Aurchitect-released copy of Spectre 1.9.3 has a creation date of 31 December 2017. I don’t think Spectre received an update beyond first release because of work on Aura.
Old 27th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree with most of what you say, but a customer class action against audiofile engineering doesn't require any involvement of Evan Olcott.
Are you saying you’re still running the old Audiofile installs of Triumph or whatever? I thought the Internet licensing machinery ran out on those long ago. It certainly did for my copy of Fidelia.

If you installed the Aurchitect versions, you agreed to a new terms, correct? I haven’t read them, but I can’t imagine they say anything different than the usual “users agrees the product is suitable for their needs” and not much more.

We probably also agreed to arbitration with regard to any rights we were granted. I imagine regardless of our situation WRT purchase, we’ve all signed away our rights to litigate. That’s pretty standard stuff in the world of software.
Old 27th May 2019
Gear Head

Yeah, probably little hope of any recourse.

I know I will never give a penny to audiofile engineering going forward, so the question arises.

What are the best replacements for Myriad as far as batch processing? And Triump for importing RAW audio data?

UPDATE: brew install sox

Last edited by strumm; 28th May 2019 at 12:55 AM..
Old 28th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
UPDATE: brew install sox
I was going to say that as well. Sadly ATM, Myriad is pretty unique on both Mac and Windows platforms.

I don’t fully understand your comment about Triumph and RAW audio data.
Old 28th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
I was going to say that as well. Sadly ATM, Myriad is pretty unique on both Mac and Windows platforms.

I don’t fully understand your comment about Triumph and RAW audio data.
Audio Engineering use to have this iPhone application called Fire which I used as a personal recorder for daily song ideas. At first I was good about using the app to export these off the iPhone , but then 2 years went by and it was all on my phone ( I did backup my phone, though ). Then Apple did an iOS update that without warning killed a lot of apps, including Fire. I had 2 years of stuff trapped on my phone in the application data of Fire. Evan told me to find a program that can rip the data, which I did, and then I navigated their file structure and found the audio files. He also told me the audio files were in headerless raw audio form. With Triump you can Import raw audio, and in the lower left of the import window is an 'options' button. You need to click on this button and put in the number of channels, bit depth, sample rate, data encoding, little endian. The Fire application stored this information in a separate .plist file in the directory with the audio files. Also, a new raw audio file was created every time you re-recorded on what appeared in the app to be the same file. If you exported using the app, you would get one file, so I need to look at another .plist file to stitch these all together.

Anyway, it is a bunch of work to convert all these, but at least I didn't lose it, but I'm only part way through. Yesterday I figured out how to do it with Sox. The fire audio files have names with UUIDs followed by .00 or 01, but with sox it wouldn't work unless I changed the file name that ends with a .00 file extension to be .raw. Here are two examples from what I did yesterday.

sox -r 44100 -e floating-point -b 32 -c 1 -L 2B2D8B34-43BF-4C72-8599-114EC7210307.raw ../converted/output.aiff

sox -r 48k -e signed-integer -b 16 -c 1 -L 0D16FC26-46A5-46A9-B3BC-F24D5651257A.raw ../converted/output-a.aiff

I really should just write a script to read the .plist files, and do the conversion automatically. We'll see...
Old 28th May 2019
Here for the gear
For what it's worth, I've contacted Krekeltronics and asked if they have insights on what's going on. Waiting for a reply.
Old 28th May 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0rula View Post
For what it's worth, I've contacted Krekeltronics and asked if they have insights on what's going on. Waiting for a reply.
Okay, got a reply, I guess I can avoid posting their comments, as they said at the end:

Quote:
yep, we will respond on Gearslutz to try to clear the air.
Cheers
Old 28th May 2019
Here for the gear

Greetings from Audiofile Engineering

Hi all,

My name is Patrick Krekelberg. I am the sole owner of Audiofile Engineering. We have been especially busy lately so it has taken me a bit to catch up with this thread. But I hope to clear the air, answer your questions to the best of my ability, and discuss all of the details with you.

I'll work through some points one at a time. Let's start with the big one:
Audiofile Engineering has absolutely nothing to do with the recent issue which resulted in the removal of Myriad, Spectre, and Triumph from sale.

I am sure this is hard to understand, and perhaps hard to believe. In 2017 after having collaborated with Audiofile for years, we had the opportunity to purchase the company. I loved the brand and the products, so to me it was simply a matter of working out the details. Part of this involved parting out Myriad, Spectre, and Triumph because these were being acquired by a new entity, Aurchitect. I had nothing to do with any of that, it was decided between the original Audiofile owners.

Seeing "Audiofile Engineering" named as the entity which is somehow causing this or clawing back those apps, is deeply upsetting to me since we have absolutely nothing to do with the situation, and absolutely nothing to gain from it. As you have seen, the only impact for Audiofile has been negative, since good customers are being hurt. This is impossibly difficult for me since there is nothing whatsoever I can do about it.

Well - that's not entirely true. There is one thing. I can't speak in explicit detail, but there is a remote chance Audiofile will be able to get Myriad, Spectre, and Triumph back. This would unify the brand which was divided in 2017. I am pursuing this, but it's totally out of my control what will ultimately happen. All I can do is offer. But if it works out, we will enthusiastically support those apps and work directly with you as customers, as Audiofile always has. All of your licenses would be honored, of course, regardless of whether they were purchased from Audiofile or Aurchitect.

I have seen it suggested in this thread that we are some sort of private equity looking for a quick "out". This could not be further from the truth. I love the Audiofile brand (I'm wearing a logo hoodie right now in fact) and enthusiastically promote it at trade shows such as NAMM this past January. As for me personally, I am an engineer, a musician, a husband, and a father of 4. A significant portion of our revenue goes to conservation initiatives such as preserving 40 completely undeveloped acres in the Lake Superior watershed. It is true we are less public these days, but we are working hard to change that over the next month.

As the owner of Audiofile, I welcome your comments, questions, and whatever digs you want to toss my way. But I do ask for a moment of your understanding once you fully grasp the situation. Audiofile will continue to offer products I hope you will support; we're working hard on pipeline planning as we speak. It would be a shame for more than just me if a legal issue which we have absolutely no involvement in would tarnish such a well-regarded brand. I am 100% committed to Audiofile, totally dedicated to demonstrating my support for this awesome community, and very excited for what the future will bring.

Please keep in touch, and keep this discussion going. I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Would you be willing to support a newly unified Audiofile now that you know we want the same outcome as you do?

Take care all,
Patrick Krekelberg
Audiofile Engineering
Old 28th May 2019
Here for the gear

Hello,

I am a licensed user of Triumph. Please keep us all in the loop.

Thank you,
RB Blackstone
Old 28th May 2019
Here for the gear
Thanks Patrick, it's good to see that at least there's the intention to continue.

I'd love to see an updated version of Triumph, and keep using Myriad as my swiss army knife for batch processing/analysis.

Looking forward to future updates.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search