The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Architect (Triumph) disappearance! Anyone know anything ... ?
Old 24th September 2019
Lives for gear

Unfortunately, the license files are only part of the story. Authorizing the software updates more than the hidden files in the <username>/Library root, so manually authorizing Triumph (for example) is more complex than just copying these files from your backup disk. And what is changed isn't something simple like the cache files or preferences.

EDIT: I did spend some more time on this, but unfortunately to no avail. Restoring all of the obvious peripheral Triumph files in the Library didn't help any. I spent some time on the obvious issue: changes to file modification times. (This may be why rsync worked for Nad.) But my tools for OSX I guess are too old for a High Sierra Fusion drive, and I can't say I achieved confident results. Even rsync was a little flaky with the "last open" times.

So I'm giving up. I moved to Windows a while ago and very glad I did. I wish Linux was a better audio platform.

It may be that Nad's OSX revision, or the differences between Triumph and Myriad enabled his success. I didn't have any luck with an rsync restore, but you might.

Last bit of info is that the license files mentioned in my post above are binary-format Apple Plists, Base64 encoded.

I hope your luck is better than mine!

Last edited by vze26m98; 24th September 2019 at 05:16 PM..
Old 1st October 2019
Here for the gear

Spent a few hours sussing this out a few weeks back and just getting around to posting this now in the interest of helping keep people happy while everything is in limbo.

If you have access to a working activation (either from a time machine backup or from another computer) you can use that activation data to get the app working offline, without needing online re-activation.

I've tested this with Aura, Spectre and Triumph.

- Activation files are stored in the Users/<username>/Library/ folder.

- Each app creates a hidden file with an 8-character random name, ie ".abcd1234".

Use Terminal to see them:

Code:
cd ~/Library
Code:
ls -al | grep '\.[0-9A-Fa-f]\{8\}'
You can then show hidden files in Finder by using the Cmd+Shift+Period hotkey to see them, which I find to be easier to manipulate them. (Repeating the hotkey hides hidden files again when you're all done.)

- If you only ever used one Audiofile/Aurchitect app, then this is easy. However, if you have more than one app installed, figuring out which file belongs to which app is as simple as moving these files elsewhere (ie: to the desktop) and then launching each app one at a time, and seeing what filename gets created in Users/<username>/Library after launching that particular app.

- Important: This file names are unique to THAT app on THAT computer. So if Triumph's file is ".4e9aeff3" then Triumph's file will always be ".4e9aeff3" on that computer. But Triumph's filename will be different on a different computer.

- Obviously make sure all Audiofile/Aurchitect apps are quit before doing the following.

Scenario 1) Restoring an activation from a time machine backup of THE SAME Mac
Easy... just copy those 8-char files from the same location in the backup, to your Users/<username>/Library and replace the existing ones. If for some reason this doesn't work, see scenario 2 below, regarding renaming files:

Scenario 2) If the activation is from a different computer
These filenames will be different. But the activation data inside the files will still work to run the apps regardless. Just observe what the filenames are for each app on the destination system and rename the working activations you copied over from a working system to become the destination system's filenames so the apps will read them.
Old 1st October 2019
Lives for gear

Good info, nice to sort of have a back up in place now.
Old 2nd October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchetect View Post
Spent a few hours sussing this out a few weeks back and just getting around to posting this now in the interest of helping keep people happy while everything is in limbo.
Thanks very much for posting that. I have two files in my Library folder that match the pattern, and both have date stamps of 1-Feb-2019, which roughly corresponds with my last drive rebuild, but I'm unable to get either Myriad or Triumph to launch. Both give me the "demo period expired" message.

I've never gotten a response from the gmail address, so things aren't looking good. This is very frustrating, and every day that passes makes me less likely to do any future business with whatever entity has killed/sequestered these products. The total radio silence makes this seem like a personal vendetta thing more than an actual business issue.

Evan, I know you can't talk about it, but I sincerely hope that you've already started working on developing new products to compete with / replace these.
Old 6th October 2019
Lives for gear

I would definitely like for my Triumph and Myriad to work again. I've been using Triumph since what...v1.1 when it was still AudioFile Engineering's "Wave Editor".
Old 7th October 2019
Here for the gear

I was just prompted to uninstall/reinstall Myriad from the AppStore because it was cyclically restarting. Only then did I discover Myriad is gone from the app store and cannot be reinstalled, as is Aura for which I was eagerly awaiting a tuning mode. I didn't even get to use these products for 1 year.
Old 11th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Just got this in reply from that email address:

On Oct 11, 2019, at 6:35 PM, Audio Apps Support <[email protected]> wrote:

Thank you for contacting us. We are sorry that you are currently unable to use your software. Please know that our number one goal is to ensure that you are able to get your software back up and running as soon as possible. We have just recently received the code and related infrastructure for the applications and are in the process of transitioning them to an established audio software brand who will restore the licensing system and continue development of the applications. Stay tuned as we hope to have an announcement shortly after AES New York 2019.

Matthew Foust

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 2:11 AM:
I own a license for Myriad and would like to know how I can re-install it and authorize it. Also what is the future of Myriad?

thanks
Old 11th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexus View Post
Just got this in reply from that email address:

On Oct 11, 2019, at 6:35 PM, Audio Apps Support <[email protected]> wrote:

Thank you for contacting us. We are sorry that you are currently unable to use your software. Please know that our number one goal is to ensure that you are able to get your software back up and running as soon as possible. We have just recently received the code and related infrastructure for the applications and are in the process of transitioning them to an established audio software brand who will restore the licensing system and continue development of the applications. Stay tuned as we hope to have an announcement shortly after AES New York 2019.

Matthew Foust

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 2:11 AM:
I own a license for Myriad and would like to know how I can re-install it and authorize it. Also what is the future of Myriad?

thanks

Yes, I received it too!
Old 11th October 2019
Lives for gear

Yes I just received an email so looks like we'll be back up and running soon. Just in time I might add
Old 12th October 2019
Gear Addict

I received it too, just came here to post about it and saw others beat me to it. Good news!
Old 12th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Hawk View Post
Yes I just received an email so looks like we'll be back up and running soon.
I'll point out again that I've been waiting for four years for authorization to be restored to Audiofile's Fidelia app. "Just in time" might be a pretty long wait.
Old 12th October 2019
Here for the gear
I also received that mail. Let’s see how it works out.
Old 13th October 2019
Here for the gear

First, I would like to say that Spectre is the best bit of software I have ever used. I honestly LOVE Spectre. There is NOTHING out there quite like this. So customizable and so well thought out. Honestly, it has brought me so much awareness about the visual side of audio. Please please please find a way to fix Spectre.

I hope it works out and you can get back to making awesome plugins again!
Old 17th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Deleted Comment
Good to hear, and I hope we see a competitor for Myriad in the near term.

One thing I'd like to get passed on to Evan: I hope that this situation has shown you the folly and customer-hostile results of phone-home DRM, analytics, and authorization. I strongly urge you to contact others in the space, especially Valhalla and Klanghelm to get their take on how releasing with no DRM has worked for them.

If future products have the same DRM approach that got us into this mess, I'm unlikely to purchase.

Last edited by Gearbot; 3 days ago at 01:04 PM..
Old 17th October 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks, Releaux. That said, let me ask this: how do folks feel about the Mac App Store? I'm all open to modern approaches to the problem.
Old 17th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan.olcott View Post
Thanks, Releaux. That said, let me ask this: how do folks feel about the Mac App Store? I'm all open to modern approaches to the problem.
NO! My personal opinion. I bend over for Apple enough as it is. Just use a serial number and build piracy into your business plan. I know nothing about DRM but those in the know advising others often say to "ask urs at u-he as he has come up with a good way to do it". *shrug*
Old 17th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
How do folks feel about the Mac App Store?
If you expect to remain a Mac-only developer, this seems like a logical choice.
Old 18th October 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
how do folks feel about the Mac App Store? I'm all open to modern approaches to the problem.
It's not my favorite way to buy apps, but it's not necessarily a deal-breaker.

As for subscription-ware, I definitely try to avoid it.

I don't mind iLok License Manager authorization, if it uses the soft license (i.e., doesn't require the hardware iLok) and if the developer allows two simultaneious authorizations (i.e., laptop and desktop). PSP Audioware does this, for example. The hardware dongle is still an option for folks who work in several locations, so it's a win-win.

I completely understand those who object to authorization that requires an always-on internet connection and would rather register with a serial number and be done with it. That's my favorite too.
Old 18th October 2019
Lives for gear

Personally I wish all my apps were available from the Mac App Store. Everything is in one place, updates are in one place, authorizations are tied to your account and not your hardware, and their servers are fast so downloads don't take forever. The only downside is no limited time demos first, at least as far as I know.

Another big no vote for subscription-ware from me too though. It's fine for content and things I'll consume, but not for my tools.
Old 18th October 2019
Quote:
how do folks feel about the Mac App Store?
Zero problems with the Mac App Store. Easy install, easy updates.

Another no vote for subscription plans, however, unless they're purely optional.
Old 4 weeks ago
Replying to sub so I can find out when I can get Triumph back up and running again.
What a sh*testorm
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I'm happy with the AppStore too (though I think it makes it less easy for the dev to charge for updates??).
And another vote against subscriptions...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Ev - you should really move this to another thread, but for me it's a big NO to the App store - It's hard enough moving studio to studio and trying to get the programs you need on whatever system you're on that day. I know this is unpopular, but I'm all in favor of developers protecting their software, and for me iLok is fantastic; I can carry authorizations to any studio in the world and be up and running quickly - if I lose the iLok (which I have done) or break it I know I can be up and running within a half hour thanks to ZDT/TLC. Having to manage all the different license schemes out there is a PITA, and anything that ties the authorization to a specific machine/drive/user account is a workflow killer for the independent engineer.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I like iLok authorization hopefully if the developer allows 2 authorizations. Mac App Store is ok but I found there are many abandon software probably because developers can't charge upgrades.

BTW, I moved to iZotope RX7 (unfortunately only one authorization) although they are different things..... Due to this bad experience I will never buy web-based authorization software again.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Wow. What a sh!tstorm. I just went looking to see what's current with this company and found the musical chairs scenario with the names and companies... I've been watching the progress of the editor "Triumph" since before that [kinda dumb] name. I didn't buy at the time, because I ended up using an old Adobe license of CS6 and Audition, but I knew I would need to ditch Audition eventually when I use a Mac OS version that doesn't support CS6 because I ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT pay subscriptions for software. NEVER. NOT EVER.

And now seeing what insanity happened here, I'm glad I never bought Triumph. I'll keep tabs on this situation, but this is an ABYSMAL way to handle products, customers, developers, and conduct business in general. THIS is laissez-faire capitalism and the computer industry in a nutshell.

Since it was asked: I don't mind the App Store, but I would rather have serial keys. No online DRM. No hardware locks. No subscriptions.

Last edited by dysamoria; 4 weeks ago at 10:34 PM.. Reason: More info
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Thanks for your response, Evan!

Executive summary:
  • App store: Ok, but I prefer to license directly from the vendor.
  • Subscription: absolutely not.

I'm with BobK88 on the App Store. I don't hate it, but if I have the option, I always buy direct from the vendor. Apple's inflexibility on things like upgrade pricing, number of seats/computers, and other common software licensing and sales mechanisms sometimes makes it a bad deal for the developer, and I really like to support small businesses directly as much as possible.

As far as subscriptions, I have a pretty firm rule: I only subscribe to services, not tools, especially primary tools. I'll subscribe to Netflix, Rhapsody/Napster, Weather apps, etc. as the content being provided to me changes regularly, incurs an ongoing expense to the vendor that is required for the product to function, and is a high value compared to what it would cost me to purchase outright.

When I buy a tool that I'm using to make things, I don't want to keep paying for that tool. I also don't want to rely on whether or not that tool is still made or that the entity that sold me that tool is still in business or not. I have some software that I can still use despite the fact that the last release was in 1998 and the developer no longer makes anything even remotely like it.

The are only two times I will subscribe to a tool: when there is no alternative in the marketplace for something I consider essential, or when the tool is a specialty thing and would be prohibitively expensive to purchase. I'll rent an irrigation pipe pulling machine, but I'm sure as hell not going to rent a hammer or socket set.
Old 4 weeks ago
At the rate Apple is going with MacOS, in another year or two when they can finally get rid of every Mac without their terminator chip in it, the App Store may be the ONLY choice for anything Mac related heh.
Old 4 weeks ago
TZk
Gear Addict

App store is allright because of more than 1 or 2 computers may be used.
(this also means everybody needs to buy it again)

Now, the bad thing. I made a session in triumph but when I open it again I can not change the track info or it crashes... any news on progress? I'm about to switch to DSP-quattro or HOFA.

Edit: Nevermind the bug.
It crashed because the audiofile wasn't there anymore, I wasn't in track info.
Would be nicer to tell me the file couldn't be found instead of crashing.

Quote:

Last edited by TZk; 4 weeks ago at 07:30 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Releaux View Post
Good to hear, and I hope we see a competitor for Myriad in the near term.

One thing I'd like to get passed on to Evan: I hope that this situation has shown you the folly and customer-hostile results of phone-home DRM, analytics, and authorization. I strongly urge you to contact others in the space, especially Valhalla and Klanghelm to get their take on how releasing with no DRM has worked for them.

If future products have the same DRM approach that got us into this mess, I'm unlikely to purchase.
Klanghelm doesn’t use copy protection at all. It’s just an installer that you run, same as audio damage. Valhalla uses a key file which is also great. I wish the had a single key file you could download for all of your registers products though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterhiggins View Post
Klanghelm doesn’t use copy protection at all. It’s just an installer that you run, same as audio damage. Valhalla uses a key file which is also great. I wish the had a single key file you could download for all of your registers products though.
I've purchased all of the products from both companies, not just because they're phenomenal quality and bang-for-buck, but because I want to support the developers that respect their customers this much.

While no DRM is my favorite, I don't mind approaches like permanent key files. They're not mucking about at the system level like PACE, they don't fingerprint a specific computer configuration which makes upgrades much easier, and even if Valhalla disappeared tomorrow, they'd keep working. All I have to do is keep track of them, which is a very reasonable expectation.

Assuming Evan is still reading, I think Triumph and Myriad were reasonably priced, it was just the invasive copy protection that was a negative and has harmed customers. In an age when even my home speakers are starting to gather analytics on me and phoning home every 15 minutes, I'm increasingly intolerant of non-essential network connections.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search