The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sequoia welcomed too mostly the family
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

Sequoia welcomed too mostly the family

So I finally took the plunge and bought sequoia. Really expensive for a daw, but I been ready to ditch sonar for years, but never wanted up learn another daw. How hard is the learning curve? I heard the editing is supposed to be deep while still remaining fast. I'll give it a full whirl tomorrow (today) after I wake up haven't been to sleep yet stuck in this major session until 8 am.

What's the main difference between samplitude and sequoia? Never heard of either until a few days ago. Acid was my first ever daw in the late 90's.
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
So I finally took the plunge and bought sequoia. Really expensive for a daw, but I been ready to ditch sonar for years, but never wanted up learn another daw. How hard is the learning curve? I heard the editing is supposed to be deep while still remaining fast. I'll give it a full whirl tomorrow (today) after I wake up haven't been to sleep yet stuck in this major session until 8 am.

What's the main difference between samplitude and sequoia? Never heard of either until a few days ago. Acid was my first ever daw in the late 90's.
It's pretty much impossible to answer how hard it wold be to learn for you.
I'm not really objective about it, because I'm using Samplitude for something like 18-20y. And primarily for audio recording, editing, mastering stuff.. I don't use MIDI programming there, except for some really small things or handling SYSEX data to recall setups from digital outboard.
Some things are easier (or better to say straightforward) to do there, other things are easier in another DAWs. Each can have its strong points. On top of that, it's pretty subjective.

I'd recommend to really devote some time to check tutorials by Kraznet, especially if you starting out
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkN...9A4mkoRS7f7J1Q

As for difference between Samplitude and Sequoia, the latter has 4 point audio editing (means you can mark in and out part from source tracks and insert it to marked similarly marked area in destination tracks.. It's akin to mark points at NLEs for video editing. Most commonly that's being used by classical audio editors, where they have several complete rec. passes without click and combine whole sections from different takes). Multi-sync cuts are extension of that with helpers for automatic search for similar parts in audio and easier graphical representation for editing of multi-track recordings.
Sequoia has advanced crossfade editor and direct integration with broadcast asset management systems (used in big radio and TV stations).
Also there are some video related functions.

Before there were more significant differences, like omit of DDP export (for CD mastering), OMF/AAF project export and import in Samplitude etc, but that applied to previous versions.
Nowadays, I don't think, Samplitude is likely more than sufficient for most of productions, except of those classical things on daily basis, because you can do those things as well in normal Sam like with any other DAW (eg. copy paste, intricate fades with volume automation), but just take some more time to do.

Anyway.. one thing is strange to me.
You've mentioned essentially in the first sentence how expensive the software is (well it's on par with Nuendo, PT HD/Ultimate perpetual or Pyramix with options), then you already just bought that for 3000 EUR.. and now ex post, you're looking for basic resources, learning, comparison to lower editions.
I'd probably start with extensive demoing of various contenders (because as I've said, each can fulfill different user preferences, although you can essentially make same things there) and some research, speaking with people using particular software, watching video presentations etc.. before pulling of trigger.
But on the other hand, I can recall, I learned stuff pretty quickly, if I had to (and was young ). And your decision is already made..

Michal
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
It's pretty much impossible to answer how hard it wold be to learn for you.
I'm not really objective about it, because I'm using Samplitude for something like 18-20y. And primarily for audio recording, editing, mastering stuff.. I don't use MIDI programming there, except for some really small things or handling SYSEX data to recall setups from digital outboard.
Some things are easier (or better to say straightforward) to do there, other things are easier in another DAWs. Each can have its strong points. On top of that, it's pretty subjective.

I'd recommend to really devote some time to check tutorials by Kraznet, especially if you starting out
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkN...9A4mkoRS7f7J1Q

As for difference between Samplitude and Sequoia, the latter has 4 point audio editing (means you can mark in and out part from source tracks and insert it to marked similarly marked area in destination tracks.. It's akin to mark points at NLEs for video editing. Most commonly that's being used by classical audio editors, where they have several complete rec. passes without click and combine whole sections from different takes). Multi-sync cuts are extension of that with helpers for automatic search for similar parts in audio and easier graphical representation for editing of multi-track recordings.
Sequoia has advanced crossfade editor and direct integration with broadcast asset management systems (used in big radio and TV stations).
Also there are some video related functions.

Before there were more significant differences, like omit of DDP export (for CD mastering), OMF/AAF project export and import in Samplitude etc, but that applied to previous versions.
Nowadays, I don't think, Samplitude is likely more than sufficient for most of productions, except of those classical things on daily basis, because you can do those things as well in normal Sam like with any other DAW (eg. copy paste, intricate fades with volume automation), but just take some more time to do.

Anyway.. one thing is strange to me.
You've mentioned essentially in the first sentence how expensive the software is (well it's on par with Nuendo, PT HD/Ultimate perpetual or Pyramix with options), then you already just bought that for 3000 EUR.. and now ex post, you're looking for basic resources, learning, comparison to lower editions.
I'd probably start with extensive demoing of various contenders (because as I've said, each can fulfill different user preferences, although you can essentially make same things there) and some research, speaking with people using particular software, watching video presentations etc.. before pulling of trigger.
But on the other hand, I can recall, I learned stuff pretty quickly, if I had to (and was young ). And your decision is already made..

Michal
In pulled the trigger on it, but didn't realize they had samplitude cheaper. Never really liked into magix except many many years ago. Omi was looking for a daw and stumbled across sequoia which it had the features I liked however on their website they really say little about the 2.

One question I must ask am i able to paste by time intervals? For instance if i have a loop that is 9:02:003 long but I want to loop it 100 times at 9:01:000 intervals is that possible to set the paste intervals specifically? I ask because I couldn't find how to do it on studio one when I demo it.
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
One question I must ask am i able to paste by time intervals? For instance if i have a loop that is 9:02:003 long but I want to loop it 100 times at 9:01:000 intervals is that possible to set the paste intervals specifically? I ask because I couldn't find how to do it on studio one when I demo it.
In that case, it's pretty easy. Because you essentially would like to extract portion of clip (as the interval is being shorter) and loop it over.
To do that, you simply make range selection over desired portion of clip (object) at the track and hit ctrl+l shortcut, which makes a loop range from the selection.
The object gets automatically trimmed to range length. Then if you drag it's left bottom edge, it is automatically looping over.
That's probably quickest way.

Then there is also duplicate functionality. There you either simply hit ctrl+d, which copies whole selected object right behind the current one.
If you need to precisely specify duplication parameters, you would use another function from menu > Object, which is called "Duplicate Object Multiple.."
This will bring dialog, where you can enter how many duplicates of selected you want and also you can enter exact offset for duplication (or they called it delta).
This value can be entered in msec, bars/beats, timecode whatever.
If you set the offset larger than length of the object, it will automatically create spaces between objects.. (like you align short drum hit on the start of beat, then duplicate it with whole 1 beat offset). Conversely, if you enter shorter offset, then it automatically trim the end of duplicated objects (that would apply to your example).

Michal

Last edited by msmucr; 14th May 2019 at 09:50 PM..
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

Okay let me me try to explain a bit more to make sure we understand each other. Let's say I make a 4 bar pattern at 65 bpm which would loop back every 9:1:000. But the end of the sample has a tail that ends at 9:1:023 now I would highlight the whole sample in sonar and paste advanced mode which allows me to set the exact time intervals so I would type in 9:1:000, which would allow the tail to continue over the next loop but would also start the next loop at 9:01:000. Now if your just starting at the end of the sample then it wouldn't sync correct as most my loops have tails that differ depending on the synth. I export from FL into the daw. If that makes sense.
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Okay let me me try to explain a bit more to make sure we understand each other. Let's say I make a 4 bar pattern at 65 bpm which would loop back every 9:1:000. But the end of the sample has a tail that ends at 9:1:023 now I would highlight the whole sample in sonar and paste advanced mode which allows me to set the exact time intervals so I would type in 9:1:000, which would allow the tail to continue over the next loop but would also start the next loop at 9:01:000. Now if your just starting at the end of the sample then it wouldn't sync correct as most my loops have tails that differ depending on the synth. I export from FL into the daw. If that makes sense.
I see it now hopefully..
Unfortunately I don't think, that's possible to do in Samplitude or Sequoia.
Objects can overlap, but only one object on track can be playing at any time (eg. the top one like with most of DAWs.. I know Reaper can do such layered playback in what's called free position mode, but that's about it).
So the decaying portion of object can't be played simultaneously with its overlapping copy.
Mentioned duplicate with entry would allow you that precise offset, but it will cut out those tails.

AFAIK the only way to have tails there is to use two bused audio tracks with alternating duplicated objects. Possibly load that to some sampler and trigger that with MIDI.

Michal
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear

I played around with it a lil bit today and I find some features on it really great compared to sonar. I like how the audio engine sounds. Even in the red burning the master fader down gives clean pristine sound. I had a bit of initial trouble with the snap functions and figuring out how to set the time to B:M:T but figured it all out. I understand the duplicate objects. I pulled the trigger on samplitude for my son stop we can both move away from sonar finally. This daw is really deep
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

OP says Sequoia is expensive but it really is not. Because of its incredible assets and functionality.

Just for your information, I bought multiple SADiE systems for $13,000 each over a period of 15 years.

A Studer 2-track tape recorder used to cost $15,000.

"Engineers" have it so cheap and easy these days.

I LUV Sequoia.
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
OP says Sequoia is expensive but it really is not. Because of its incredible assets and functionality.

Just for your information, I bought multiple SADiE systems for $13,000 each over a period of 15 years.

A Studer 2-track tape recorder used to cost $15,000.

"Engineers" have it so cheap and easy these days.

I LUV Sequoia.
I meant expensive in the case of daws that's not locked too hardware. Sadie I own as will but I'm no longer running exclusively prism system anymore. I have a console in my studio that's in the upper $100, 000's so I know expensive in the larger scheme of things, but this is still a expensive daw anyway you slice it compared to the market and competition. However, I'm getting along great with it and I caught on faster then I thought. The help search on the top toolbar is a god send.
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Maniac

It's true that Sampitude is already great for probably most of all the tasks non-classical guys deal with. And so reasonable priced nowadays.
BTW: I like the current versions (with current patches) ProX4 and Sequoia 15, good development going on there.
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

I don't do much classical work but for other genres so far ots working pretty good. I have pyramix as well as sadie and sonar. I plan to dive into the former 3 later this week and compare. Sadie and sonar been my main daws.
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Nut

I’ve been using sequoia for about 5 years, is it different than other DAWS, absolutely, is it better......
It can do exactly the same things other DAWS can do, just in different ways, and this is what sold me on sequoia, the difference. My work flow is faster and much smoother compared to all the other DAWS I’ve used, but this doesn’t classify it as better.

Most studios I’ve been in that used sequoia mainly used it in the mastering stage, which is typically where I use it as well, but it has the ability to do everything else vey well.

Is it worth the $13,000 price tag......
To me it was, for my own specific reasons, others may see that type of purchase as unnecessary. Like I mentioned above, is it better than all the other DAWS....... NO. I can say that because I’ve used them all, and didn’t really experience anything in any of them to make me say 1 was better than the other. They all did the same thing, and surprisingly very well, just in different ways. Fortunately, different doesn’t constitute as being better.

In the end, if you plan on spending $13,000 on a DAW, I hope it’s for a reason, and not because you heard it was great, or because it’s one of the most expensive DAWS on the market, so it must be good.
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by locnus View Post
I’ve been using sequoia for about 5 years, is it different than other DAWS, absolutely, is it better......
It can do exactly the same things other DAWS can do, just in different ways, and this is what sold me on sequoia, the difference. My work flow is faster and much smoother compared to all the other DAWS I’ve used, but this doesn’t classify it as better.

Most studios I’ve been in that used sequoia mainly used it in the mastering stage, which is typically where I use it as well, but it has the ability to do everything else vey well.

Is it worth the $13,000 price tag......
To me it was, for my own specific reasons, others may see that type of purchase as unnecessary. Like I mentioned above, is it better than all the other DAWS....... NO. I can say that because I’ve used them all, and didn’t really experience anything in any of them to make me say 1 was better than the other. They all did the same thing, and surprisingly very well, just in different ways. Fortunately, different doesn’t constitute as being better.

In the end, if you plan on spending $13,000 on a DAW, I hope it’s for a reason, and not because you heard it was great, or because it’s one of the most expensive DAWS on the market, so it must be good.
13,000? I definatly did not spend 13,000 in it. Was it really that expensive 15 years ago?

I bought it because of the object editor and 4 point editing. I have been doing alot of classical music mixing recently and was a pain in sonar. Sadie does not have object editing. There's some things I really enjoy about sequoia already. I bought pyramix as well recently and I can't even n figure out his ti import my own waves. Lol
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Nut

No it wasn’t, and forgive my typo. My phone seemed to have liked that number, my message was intended to say $3,000.
Old 1st June 2019
Lives for gear

How do you apply one effect TO group objects via object editor? I've tried several times to no luck. I click apply to all on the right. But only one seems top be effected.
Old 2nd June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
How do you apply one effect TO group objects via object editor? I've tried several times to no luck. I click apply to all on the right. But only one seems top be effected.
- "Apply to all" needs to be checked before you perform the object FX change. It's a switch which describes the effect of the current action - did you get this right?
- The objects in question are really selected (highlighted)?

This is quite a common action and should work flawlessly.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search