The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can someone recommend a fairly crash free daw?
Old 30th April 2019
Here for the gear

Can someone recommend a fairly crash free daw?

For years, I've been recording and editing multitrack audio with various releases of Adobe Audition (currently CC6 2013). I really like everything about this App, especially the ease of cut and paste editing within waveforms and ease of editing ,bouncing and saving individual stems. On the whole things seem very intuitive.

Being financially challenged I've only marginal quality gear to work with and thus tend to rely heavily on 3rd party plugins (live) to get my mixes sounding up to par with pro productions. Alas, the desktop computer I have to work with is only an early dual core with 4 gigs of ram (Dell optiplex 755). Needless to say the DAW CRASHES A LOT! Apparently 10 to 12 tracks with a half dozen live effects really pushes the limit! Trying to freeze tracks and using group sends to get that last little bit of processing to achieve a mixdown without crashing becomes a major challenge every which way ya try.

Apparently many have similar issues with much more powerful machines due to 3rd party plugins (especially VST 3).
Some say that the display in AA re-renders with every move causing a crash when App is heavily loaded. Would an upgrade to the onboard video card help?

Though I might soon upgrade to a 4core i7 with 8gigs to help handle the load,

Can someone recommend a decent DAW with similar track editing (comping etc.) functionality that might prove to be more stable? Audio centric is ok. I don't like anything requiring dongles or Avid hardware. My soundcard is RME.
Old 30th April 2019
Lives for gear

Take a look at some of the free DAW's available currently. Studio One, Bandlab, etc.
You can try out a couple of different ones to see how they perform.

https://producelikeapro.com/blog/fre...vailable-2018/

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/201...-daw-software/

Also, I used to use an old PC and as it was mainly used as a DAW, I found that from time to time it needed a refresh, which I did by reinstalling the OS, maybe once a year or so. You might look into a Ghost type system where you can reinstall an image of your PC from it's original state to save some time.
Old 30th April 2019
Lives for gear

Reaper is typically very stable on Windows machines; it has yet to crash on me although I'm not a huge plugin user (I rarely use more than 3-4 plugins in a project). It's only $60 and is one of the more powerful DAWs out there although the interface is pretty clunky and you might not like the way it does comps.

A bonus with Reaper is that there's an incredible collection of free tutorials, very nicely done by engineer Kenny Gioia, that make the app a lot easier to learn. It's safe to say I wouldn't be using Reaper if it weren't for those videos.

My favorite DAW for editing is Harrison Mixbus; its editing workflow is brilliant. It's very CPU-hungry, though, and you could consider Ardour instead (an open-source DAW; Mixbus runs on Ardour and adds channel strip emulation). Ardour has the same editor, minus a few tweaks added by Harrison that will hopefully appear in the next version of Ardour. Ardour's comping is fairly primitive, though, even compared with how it works in Reaper.
Old 30th April 2019
Gear Nut

Reaper is very stable, lightweight and inexpensive.I have never had it crash Windows.

I am a Harrison Mixbus (32C) user - I've had it crash a few times in Windows, but by far it is my favorite DAW for both editing and mixing. I'm now on Linux and I think the only time it has crashed was the fault of a bridged Windows plugin.

You might just need a fresh install of Windows to reduce or eliminate the crashes and keep using what you have.. Unfortunately Windows seems to like to clutter itself up after a while, so periodic re-installs are often required.
Old 12th October 2019
Gear Addict

Studio One on a Windows PC with a MOTU 16a interface has never crashed once even when running embarrassingly large sessions that bring my PC to its knees. It's so reliable, it feels like I'm using hardware.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Samplitude X4 with RME interface and integrated Intel GPU never crashes over here. Samplitude is a bit picky in regards to Asio and Gpu drivers, though. A setup with nVidia and Focusrte might not work as well. Amd Gpus are reported to work fine with Samplitude too.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psavy View Post
For years, I've been recording and editing multitrack audio with various releases of Adobe Audition (currently CC6 2013). I really like everything about this App, especially the ease of cut and paste editing within waveforms and ease of editing ,bouncing and saving individual stems. On the whole things seem very intuitive.

Being financially challenged I've only marginal quality gear to work with and thus tend to rely heavily on 3rd party plugins (live) to get my mixes sounding up to par with pro productions. Alas, the desktop computer I have to work with is only an early dual core with 4 gigs of ram (Dell optiplex 755). Needless to say the DAW CRASHES A LOT! Apparently 10 to 12 tracks with a half dozen live effects really pushes the limit! Trying to freeze tracks and using group sends to get that last little bit of processing to achieve a mixdown without crashing becomes a major challenge every which way ya try.

Apparently many have similar issues with much more powerful machines due to 3rd party plugins (especially VST 3).
Some say that the display in AA re-renders with every move causing a crash when App is heavily loaded. Would an upgrade to the onboard video card help?

Though I might soon upgrade to a 4core i7 with 8gigs to help handle the load,

Can someone recommend a decent DAW with similar track editing (comping etc.) functionality that might prove to be more stable? Audio centric is ok. I don't like anything requiring dongles or Avid hardware. My soundcard is RME.
I would suggest you start from a false assumption. Your computer crashes a lot when using your DAW is different to your DAW crashing a lot. It could be hardware it could be software, it could be plugins etc.

As some of the others have suggested a blank clean install, and see if the DAW crashes without plugins would be the first diagnostic test to determine the cause of the problem. A new computer with new software would also probably solve the problem, but is obviously a lot more expensive and may not be necessary...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ta56636 View Post
I would suggest you start from a false assumption. Your computer crashes a lot when using your DAW is different to your DAW crashing a lot.
If his computer doesn't otherwise crash much at all, actually it's a very valid assumption, though I can't speak to Adobe specifically.

I can speak to Mixcraft, which I've used for years and has yet to crash. Also inexpensive and very easy to learn and does about anything you'd want to do (I can't say how it compares to Audition specifically). Granted I'm not creating 80 track orchestral pieces, but I do use a lot of plugins. They have a free trial and a new version is coming out next year, well worth a look IMO. Agree with others that Reaper is similar: inexpensive, stable, easy to learn.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search