The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Zoom R8 and Zoom R16 settings and together?
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Zoom R8 and Zoom R16 settings and together?

Hi
I currently have an R8 and just ordered an R16.
From what I’ve read, the 16 doesn’t have the drum pads/sequencer on it,, is that correct?

Before I get rid of the R8, Is there anything at all that I can do to use these two machines together in anyway?
I know you can link two 16s, but can you link the 8 to the 16?

Maybe the only thing I can do is use the R8 for small tasks or the the drum sequencer- And Then Output it into one of the R16s inputs (not sure if that would sound good)

Or Maybe bounce my final mix over to the R8 using inputs/outputs from the 16 to the R8 to somewhat act as an old DAT machine (not sure if that’s absurd or a decent idea?)

But wondering if any of you creative peeps out there have any suggestions that I could try with both machines

I am not so familiar with the whole computer based recording yet and using these as interfaces- I originally went to school for all this a long time ago, learning everything on analog/reels (and ADAT was just coming out at the time)..
So I do like the knobs and old school ways, but I will eventually take a stab at the whole computer/interface method down the road.
Prior to the R8, I had a Roland VS1824 and hated it because of all the many submenus involved in the most minor of tasks

I don’t have any outboard effects- Is there anything you recommend that I can grab to use on these Zooms for better sound?

Just FYI.. On my current setup:
Bass: On the R8, I always just plugged my Ibanez bass direct in and EQ’d it- (not sure of a good effect for a crisp punchy and warm bass sound)
Guitar: I mainly play an SG, in which I also just go directly In and use one of the built in distortion effects (still looking for a crisp punchy sound)
Drums: Drums will be a bit different from the R8 to the 16- because on the 16, I play a Tama set and will actually be able to mic up my full kit (4-5 mics tops) I couldn’t do that on the R8, so I would usually just create a beat on FL studio and output it (but that gave me limited drumming lines)
Vocals: I use an AKG/and or CAD vocal mic (mid grade) that I would just directly plug into the unit and try to EQ.. any suggestions on vocal effects that you guys like for these Zooms i.e, compressor, general effects, etc) just to get a good vocal sound

Thank you in advance!! Any advice would be awesome,, and please move my topic to different forum if I am not posting in the correct forum
Thank you!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search