The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sample rate, bit conversion and dither
Old 10th April 2019
Sample rate, bit conversion and dither

Hey guys! This isn’t pertaining to any particular DAW.

When bouncing down my mix for mastering, do I bounce at 24bit or 16bit? I’m importing into Audacity to do some noise reduction to the stereo file and then want to import that file into Ozone 7 for Mastering. Since Mastering will be my final stage, should I stay 24bit the whole process and when done with Mastering, bounce THAT file to 16bit? And what about dithering? Should that be applied the whole process or only when Mastering? This is all eventually going to iTunes.

Thanks.
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycapmusic View Post
Hey guys! This isn’t pertaining to any particular DAW.

When bouncing down my mix for mastering, do I bounce at 24bit or 16bit? I’m importing into Audacity to do some noise reduction to the stereo file and then want to import that file into Ozone 7 for Mastering. Since Mastering will be my final stage, should I stay 24bit the whole process and when done with Mastering, bounce THAT file to 16bit? And what about dithering? Should that be applied the whole process or only when Mastering? This is all eventually going to iTunes.

Thanks.
You want to use 24bit or more if you are going to do further editing especially like noise reduction.
Old 10th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
You want to use 24bit or more if you are going to do further editing especially like noise reduction.
Got cha! Im already using 24bit while working in the DAW's. But I knowing I'm going send the file into other applications (Audacity (noise reduction)----> Ozone (mastering), wasn't if I'm to stay 24bit the whole ride through. and THEN bounce from Ozone at 16bit.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search