The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The Horrible Question - Which DAW is better
Old 8th March 2019
Here for the gear

The Horrible Question - Which DAW is better

First off I know this is a highly subjective question but I'm really starting to feel like I'm second guessing my second guessing.

I started out with Reaper 5 for a couple of months then was unable to resolve some issues. So I switched to Reason 10 Intro and I like it for the most part although I'm having some difficulty with simple things since I installed my audio interface (Scarlett 2i2). Playback is erratic and so is recording albeit occasionally.

The Scarlett came with a free copy of Live 10 Lite and it see
ms that nearly every EDM production video I watch is using Abelton.

I'll also say that I'm still very new in my endeavor and don't have a huge frame of reference. But looking at Abelton, it seems to be a bit easier to manipulate although I had some initial bumps getting my VSTs & Sounds to recognize. Conversely, that was the easiest task to complete in the other two apps.

Anyway, I'd greatly appreciate some of your thoughts and ideas / pros and cons / and/or suggestions about the 3 and which you think is most Noob friendly.

Thanks!
Old 8th March 2019
Lives for gear

I tried most of the more well-known and then some...Mixcraft won over all and precisely because of being most user-friendly, with Reaper second. FWIW, which may be nothing Might want to give their trial a try. If you're determined to choose only between those 3, I would say Reaper. Then again I don't do EDM.
Old 8th March 2019
Here are some of the top contenders when it comes to the DAW.

10 most popular DAWs right now
Old 8th March 2019
You just have to pick the one with the features and workflow that you are most comfortable with. If you like the buggy one better, it may be worth it to troubleshoot the problem. Try uninstalling the other program to remove potential conflicts and make sure your daw driver settings are correct.
Old 8th March 2019
Lives for gear

try bitwig as well if you like ableton–it's like ableton-meets-reaper (or other audio focused daw)

also try fl studio

logic probably has the best overall bundled sounds for lowest price

(you didn't say mac or pc)

studio one is really good too

you will have issues with all of them, you'll probably have to put some time in to see which you like best–I still go back and forth
Old 8th March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
I tried most of the more well-known and then some...Mixcraft won over all and precisely because of being most user-friendly, with Reaper second. FWIW, which may be nothing Might want to give their trial a try. If you're determined to choose only between those 3, I would say Reaper. Then again I don't do EDM.
Thanks! I'll take a look at Mixcraft. BTW, I used "EDM" as a general term, perhaps erroneously.
Old 8th March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Here are some of the top contenders when it comes to the DAW.

10 most popular DAWs right now
Thanks!!
Old 8th March 2019
Gear Maniac

That top ten list is pretty informative indeed, even though it doesn't include ProTools, which is the industry standard and probably the most effective for editing audio. But honestly, I hate working in ProTools and far prefer Logic. I actually moved from PCs back to Macs in 2008 specifically because I liked Logic 7 so much, and then 8/9 were even better. The look of Logic Pro X might not be as cool to me as 8 and 9 were, but the functionality is better than ever and the bundled plugins are fantastic.

I'm primarily a musician and composer/producer, and my audio engineering chops are primarily for my own work: TV/library music, remote sessions for other producers and clients, etc. For me, Logic is ideal, and if I went back to PC I'd move over to Ableton, which I've also really enjoyed during the few times I've worked with it. If I were a full-time audio engineer I would probably be fully in the ProTools camp since it's the standard and since it's probably the most powerful for performing serious audio surgery, which fortunately I never really have to do. (Logic supposedly has inferior audio editing capabilities to ProTools but I've never felt limited by what it can do, it does everything I need.)
Old 8th March 2019
Gear Addict

I'd also ask you to try Tracktion 7 as it's free. Why pay if it's good enough?

The guy behind the site AdmiralBumblebee has a DAW chart. Mostly it sounds like you need to get a better idea of what you want/need and what your budget is and whether you're on Mac or Windows. It's REALLY hard to fairly recommend anything otherwise.
Old 8th March 2019
Gear Nut

Unfortunately there’s no such thing. It’s all about preference and need. Most DAWs do the exact same thing as it’s competitors, just in different ways.
Old 8th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzdogs View Post
First off I know this is a highly subjective question but I'm really starting to feel like I'm second guessing my second guessing.

I started out with Reaper 5 for a couple of months then was unable to resolve some issues. So I switched to Reason 10 Intro and I like it for the most part although I'm having some difficulty with simple things since I installed my audio interface (Scarlett 2i2). Playback is erratic and so is recording albeit occasionally.

I'll also say that I'm still very new in my endeavor and don't have a huge frame of reference. But looking at Abelton, it seems to be a bit easier to manipulate although I had some initial bumps getting my VSTs & Sounds to recognize. Conversely, that was the easiest task to complete in the other two apps.

Anyway, I'd greatly appreciate some of your thoughts and ideas / pros and cons / and/or suggestions about the 3 and which you think is most Noob friendly.

Thanks!

There is no better. There is no logical way to sort them by that concept.

It all comes down to price, features, device they run on, and how the UI suits you.
Old 9th March 2019
I've been using Reason for about 12 years. When they finally opened it up to be able to record audio and use external plugins, it opened up even more options.

With that, i know a lot of electronic musicians who swear by Ableton Live. Maybe someday i will give it a try.

Ultimately, it's going to be whatever you choose to use. It's like asking who makes a better guitar, Gibson or Fender.
Old 9th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Ableton is great for electronic, step and loopbased music and with the right hardware it can almost be an instrument too but a full version with extensions is pricy.
Beside Ableton I use Studio One, it was more for traditional music but now since version 4 it has some great features for electronic music too.
Is budget important, like the other guy said, Tracktion 7 is free, also is Cakewalk since last year.
I don't use Reaper or Reason.
Old 13th March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post

The guy behind the site AdmiralBumblebee has a DAW chart. Mostly it sounds like you need to get a better idea of what you want/need and what your budget is and whether you're on Mac or Windows. It's REALLY hard to fairly recommend anything otherwise.
Thank you, Godfather!
I'll check out Tracktion.
Old 13th March 2019
Here for the gear

After a lot of thought since posting this question I think I'm going to stick with Reason and upgrade to the full version. As many said, it mostly comes down to personal preference and there's no way to know what your preferences are until you spend some time with the tools.

Still, I want to get familiar with other DAWs because one never knows when that knowledge will come in handy. I believe Mixcraft has a deal for v8 Studio for $99 (or that was the price less than a week ago) so that's on my short list.

FWIW, I'm using a Windows 10 PC I built myself a couple of years ago primarily for graphics work with an i5-6600K and 16GB Ram (I developed and maintain the web site for the municipality where we live). However, I'm disabled due to kidney failure so my budget is limited. But Propellerhead is having a sale on the upgrade from Intro to the full version thru the end of March (2019) so I'm definitely going to take advantage of that. I also need to upgrade my primary HDD and reload Windows so that's on the near horizon, too.

My heart is in producing original Blues and Alternative Rock using traditional sounding VSTs. Still I'm not going to pigeonhole myself. I have a lot of tunes bouncing around in my head.

Thanks again for all the helpful responses!
Old 13th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
FWIW, I'm using a Windows 10 PC I built myself a couple of years ago primarily for graphics work with an i5-6600K and 16GB Ram (I developed and maintain the web site for the municipality where we live). However, I'm disabled due to kidney failure so my budget is limited. But Propellerhead is having a sale on the upgrade from Intro to the full version thru the end of March (2019) so I'm definitely going to take advantage of that. I also need to upgrade my primary HDD and reload Windows so that's on the near horizon, too.
I'm on a laptop with W10 i5 and 12 gb, it does the job if you don't do twenty or more tracks or so, just for a start it's okay.
Only if you want to work with some cpu demanding vst's like Diva on several tracks you gonna need an upgrade.
One thing I absolutely advise you; buy an SSD, copy your HDD to an SDD and use the hdd for a backup if you've a problem, that's absolutely a must and for the rest you're good to go.
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks!
Mine is.
Old 13th March 2019
Quote:
going to stick with Reason
One of my reasons to be loyal with Reason :
When I worked with Cubase, every computer change was a huge deal.
Where is the installer for this and that plugin, how is it licensed...
With Reason, I install the software and an audio interface, and my studio is ready for the most part.

A "one click DAW installer" for a new computer would be great...
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

DAW's have no impact on audio when recording. Data is converted to Digital by your interface and all a DAW does when recording is set up folders (tracks) on the drive where the data gets stored. Setting up folders doesn't change the binary data.

Mixing and Editing preferences are the main differences between DAW's as well as how difficult the GUI and menus are to navigate and manipulate things. Each have their plusses and minuses.

This is not to say some DAW packages aren't better then others however. If you set aside the basic engine and compare the Plugin Packages that come with different DAW's there definitely is a difference between them and its the Number, Type and Quality of the plugin's which typically account for the differences in cost. I've used Sonar Producer for years because I could do audio and Video work plus the plugin packages were excellent and the cost when upgrading didn't bankrupt you every time Microsoft came out with a new operating system. Now that they've been sold off and only offer a 64 bit version for free I don't have plans of sticking with them in the future. I'm not looking forwards to using anything that requires ILok either.

I do have Ableton, Cubase, Adobe, Reaper and a few others. to be honest I haven't spent much time using them. To me mixing has very little to do with the program itself and so long as you can navigate it easily and get to the tools you need, the program isn't much different then a computer operating system. So long as it stays out of your way and doesn't crash, you pretty much ignore it completely.
Old 14th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
My heart is in producing original Blues and Alternative Rock using traditional sounding VSTs. Still I'm not going to pigeonhole myself. I have a lot of tunes bouncing around in my head.
For that kind of music Tracktion 7 will fit the bill.
I can't see why you should buy the full version of Propellorhead for making blues and rock?
Or maybe money isn't important to you, then buy just what you think is good for you.
Old 15th March 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
MIXCRAFT here also.
Old 28th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
I use it for "organic" projects, i.e. rock music multitracks, recorded with microphones and DI guitars etc.
I love the workflow. Racks allow free, and utterly complex wiring of many plugins at once. You would need a bunch of sends and buses to get the same results for just one vocal or bass. Beware the latency, it can compensate only a limited complexity, but there are workarounds, some quite obvious (use the same plugin in a parallel path, but with all settings "neutral").

I never use the built-in EQ and compressor, though.
TinyQ, reaper plugins, free Melda package, Kotelnikov comp, AirWindows, Klanghelm free versions, BootEQmk II, great free stuff out there, you can achieve very high sound quality.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search