The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sound Forge?
Old 23rd February 2019
Sound Forge?

First time post in this forum. I just make the odd recording of pipe organs, and do some basic editing. I have tried Audacity, but cannot get on with it. I have used, what was Sony Soundforge since version 4.1, hence all my recordings have been saved in that format as WAV files, and on just replaying them, they are played by the windows 7 media player, where the last time I had Soundforge installed, if I clicked on a WAV file, it opened up in that.
Would I need to buy a copy of it, or is there something I am missing, am getting a new windows 10 pc next week
Old 23rd February 2019
Lives for gear
You can make any program the default to play .wav files. Just right click on the .wav file and select open with, the select your preferred program from a list and check the box to make it the default. While you can record in Sound Forge it's main use is as an audio editor. If you need multi tracking look to recording programs like Cockos Reaper ($60.00) or Bandlab Cakewalk (free).
Old 25th February 2019
I do not record to a computer, I just occasionally use my Zoom H4 PRO to record impromptu concerts, here in the north of the UK
Old 25th February 2019
Lives for gear

Sound Forge is owned by Magix now. Here is a thread about the new version. It's on sale until the 27th.

MAGIX releases SOUND FORGE Pro 12

You'll notice a recommendation for the much more affordable Sound Forge Audio Studio, instead of Pro 12.

SOUND FORGE Audio Studio 13 | Download audio editing software
Old 26th February 2019
Gear Maniac

It's totally worth going to the latest Sound Forge! Longtime SF user, here, and version 12 is one of my favorites so far.
Old 28th February 2019
Lives for gear

The demo of SF 12 Pro feels very old, like it hasn't had a graphic makeover since the 90's. Longtime users like it that way I guess. Too bad the Audio Studio version has no VST support or batch processing, it looks better to me.
Old 28th February 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn View Post
The demo of SF 12 Pro feels very old, like it hasn't had a graphic makeover since the 90's. Longtime users like it that way I guess. Too bad the Audio Studio version has no VST support or batch processing, it looks better to me.
Sound Forge Audio Studio 12.6 definitely does have VST support, no batch processing though.

I have Sound Forge Pro 12 as well, and it is still a decent editor.

The VST scanner in that one is very similar to Vegas Pro, and can definitely try one's patience to get everything working correctly.

Amazingly enough, Audio Studio not only looks better, but I have had zero problems with VST scans with it. Pretty decent editor for most uses. I got it for just a few dollars in a Humble Bundle...
Attached Thumbnails
Sound Forge?-screenshot-22-.jpg  
Old 28th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmihe View Post
Sound Forge Audio Studio 12.6 definitely does have VST support, no batch processing though.

I have Sound Forge Pro 12 as well, and it is still a decent editor.

The VST scanner in that one is very similar to Vegas Pro, and can definitely try one's patience to get everything working correctly.

Amazingly enough, Audio Studio not only looks better, but I have had zero problems with VST scans with it. Pretty decent editor for most uses. I got it for just a few dollars in a Humble Bundle...
Good to know, I'll just go with Audio Studio for now then. I know what you mean about iffy VST scanners. I tried Acon Acoustica editor and it picks up my Acqua plugins, but strangely it doesn't see N4 (Nebula plugin) in the same folder. Otherwise it seems pretty good though.

Sound Forge Audio Studio has a new object editor, ala Sequoia, too.
Old 28th February 2019
Ksp
Lives for gear

nothing beats Soundforge for me though i preferred the older versions as they felt less complicated and as they developed later versions i found my workflow messed up.
Old 28th February 2019
Lives for gear

Trying the Sound Forge Audio Studio 13 demo, it doesn't run VST plugins in real time. You can preview them and then apply, like Audacity. One hour left on sale, maybe I will get the Pro 12 version after all.
Old 18th March 2019
Deleted e999d8e
Just to make clear, Sound Forge Audio Studio 13 supports VST plug-ins. So, if you're worried about VST support, stop worrying. I've been running Izotope and Nugen Audio VST's inside of AS 13 for a couple of weeks now, with no problems, and not just in "preview" mode. And Sweetwater is selling AS 13 for $50.

If you don't need the features of full-blown Sound Forge, AS 13 is a good deal.
Old 12th December 2019
Here for the gear
wont run WAVES plugs
Old 27th December 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPBaker View Post
wont run WAVES plugs
Mind show up and work in Sound Forge Pro 12. What version waves are you running? I think you need VST3 Waves plugins installed. Some applications don't support the VST2 versions, but all recent versions of Waves plugins install both, so that is typically not an issue.
Old 30th December 2019
Here for the gear

Using Sound forge pro 13
Old 8th May 2020
Here for the gear

Hi, is SoundForge 13 good for Catalina?
📝 Reply