The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Davinci Resolve & Controllers
Old 5th December 2018
Gear Addict

Davinci Resolve & Controllers

I'm looking for a Windows platform Video App that will work with my Artist Series Controllers. I had been using Vegas up to ver. 12. My controllers won't even see Vegas, let alone work with it!

I tried Media Composer First but I couldn't get it to launch (it kept asking for the licenses to old 32bit VSTi's then, would abort the launch when I didn't provide them)!

Someone suggested Black Magic's Davinci Resolve. Anyone here know if it'll work with Artist Series Controllers (Eucon or MIDI is fine)?

I want to be able to swap between Nuendo, Pro Tools and a Video App instantly on my Controllers and have the same buttons/knobs/faders do the EXACT SAME FUNCTION on either app.

Are there trial versions of Davinci or Final Cut that I could try? Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.
Old 5th December 2018
Lives for gear
I have the free version (not Studio) of DaVinci Resolve in Win10. In the 'Preferences' it lists 'Avid Artist Color' as one of the 'Color Grading Panel' options, and simply lists 'HUI' and 'MCU' (Mackie Control Universal) as the MIDI Control options under 'Audio Console'.

I have played with the MCU control via my Midas M32 for the Fairlight (audio) portion of DaVinci but I've not gotten any hint that color grading could work from the MCU protocol.

What *does* work for me is my Contour Shuttle Pro V2. It is agile and allows the buttons, ring and knob to do the same sorts of things in multiple products. I have is configured to work in Reaper, Sonar, Studio One, PowerDirector 17, and DaVinci Resolve. By default it also does convenient things within the web browsers. Moreover in macOS it's also configured to do the same things for Reaper, Logic Pro X, Studio One, and DaVinci. It makes life simpler and better for me; money well spent.
Old 6th December 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaGary View Post
I have the free version (not Studio) of DaVinci Resolve in Win10. In the 'Preferences' it lists 'Avid Artist Color' as one of the 'Color Grading Panel' options, and simply lists 'HUI' and 'MCU' (Mackie Control Universal) as the MIDI Control options under 'Audio Console'.

I have played with the MCU control via my Midas M32 for the Fairlight (audio) portion of DaVinci but I've not gotten any hint that color grading could work from the MCU protocol.

What *does* work for me is my Contour Shuttle Pro V2. It is agile and allows the buttons, ring and knob to do the same sorts of things in multiple products. I have is configured to work in Reaper, Sonar, Studio One, PowerDirector 17, and DaVinci Resolve. By default it also does convenient things within the web browsers. Moreover in macOS it's also configured to do the same things for Reaper, Logic Pro X, Studio One, and DaVinci. It makes life simpler and better for me; money well spent.
Thanks so much for your reply! If it's really compatible with Artist Color, that SUGGESTS that it MIGHT accept Eucon, which means an "instant lock" with the audio. If that isn't really the case, then I'd be very interested in your experience using the HUI/MCU control options with the audio portion of Davinci.

What does work and how well? My Video needs are VERY simple! My studio is based around Nuendo. So what I'm looking for is a quick way to port over my audio for clip rendering for client approval. Is the free Win 10 version still available at their website? I'd love to be able to try it out! Thanks again for the reply!
Old 6th December 2018
Gear Addict

One caveat on Resolve -- while there's a free version available, your computer needs some pretty high specs to actually run it (at least run it well). Resolve relies much more heavily on the GPU than other NLEs do, so its requirements are different from other NLEs like Premiere or Final Cut Pro, for example. If you're not actually editing or color-grading video you should be fine depending on what kind of footage you're working with. It's a good idea to look at the Resolve Configuration Guide first to be sure your machine can handle the job (probably 90% of laptops can't for example, and RAM/processor speed are not the key factors -- it's all down to the GPU). Check out the Configuration Guide at https://documents.blackmagicdesign.c...tion_Guide.pdf

Can't help you on the controllers question, sorry, but I just wanted to bring up this important point.
Old 6th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyplayer View Post
Thanks so much for your reply! If it's really compatible with Artist Color, that SUGGESTS that it MIGHT accept Eucon, which means an "instant lock" with the audio.
Search both this forum and Blackmagic Design's since I seem to recall seeing someone making a Eucon mix surface work with Resolve. I could be wrong but it might be worth a look.

Quote:
What does work and how well? My Video needs are VERY simple! My studio is based around Nuendo. So what I'm looking for is a quick way to port over my audio for clip rendering for client approval. Is the free Win 10 version still available at their website? I'd love to be able to try it out! Thanks again for the reply!
You should be able to get the free version of Resolve for Windows on their website. It's an easy install.

It can be a bit fidgety to set up routing for audio outputs that are rendered compared to what we're used to, but once you've done it it's easy.

I'm running v15.x on my Win 10 Pro computer, a Ryzen 7 1700 (no-x) OC to 3.7GHz all cores, an old Nvidia 660 card with little memory on it. I have both spinners for long term storage and libraries and backups and then SSDs for work drives. Resolve works very well for what I do - which is exactly what you do - render videos for clients to review.

As for the actual requirements of Resolve if I remember correctly the GPU is responsible for the actual video effects applied and the CPU for debayering and decode/encode. So as long as you don't do any visual effects at all it should all be dependent on the CPU as well as the memory subsystem throughput.

And of course, if all you're doing is swapping audio to video and outputting to some easy to watch format then you can either just ignore that the video is making your computer sluggish, because all you're doing is placing an audio file on a timeline which doesn't take long, or you can optimize for quicker operation in various easy ways (using lower quality playback for example, or rendering lower quality video offline).
Old 6th December 2018
Gear Addict

I downloaded DaVinci Resolve 15.2 FREE version. I LOVE IT!!!! First off, the download was smooth, the install was effortless and, when I launched it, it gave me a little tour! Compared to Media Composer, which wouldn't launch at all, we're already waaaayyy ahead of the game and further strengthening my dislike for anything Avid!

Upon start up it was looking for the controller. I liked that. Unfortunately the controller it was looking for was the Fairlight. So, I had to go into preferences to start setting up a "handshake" with my lowly Artist Series Gear. DaVinci only gave me HUI/MCU options for "Other Controller" use. I'm still trying to figure out how to make this work. I could point to the Artist Series hardware from DaVinci but now, I'm trying to find the controls in the MC's window to SEE DaVinci!

THE BUILT IN KEY COMMAND PROGRAMMING OPTION IS BRILLIANT!!! It's so clear and obvious! So, right out of the gate, I'm liking everything I'm seeing. I really hope I can get my hardware to work with it. As it is, I'm ready to run out for a loan to get a 24 fader Fairlight Console to run all of my Audio/Video under "One Flag," where all the components get along and all visiting files are instantly welcomed!! I'll keep you posted.
Old 6th December 2018
Gear Addict

Nice! Resolve is a fantastic program. Fairlight is getting better with each release, with more and more of the original Fairlight functionality being baked into Resolve. There's eventually going to be a lot of pressure on audio post people in Hollywood studios to shift to Fairlight and away from ProTools so everything can be done on one collaborative platform. It's not there yet, and there will be a lot of resistance, but I know some audio post professionals are already using Fairlight now and are quite happy with it. The addition of round-tripping (which can be set up in the preferences) makes Fairlight a lot more useful although round-tripping apparently doesn't work with ProTools yet, at least not reliably from what I've read. You can roundtrip to apps like Izotope RX without having to export and reimport audio any more; see this thread for details: Blackmagic Forum • View topic - Support for round tripping audio clips to third party audio
Old 6th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I downloaded DaVinci Resolve 15.2 FREE version. I LOVE IT!!!! First off, the download was smooth, the install was effortless and, when I launched it, it gave me a little tour! Compared to Media Composer, which wouldn't launch at all, we're already waaaayyy ahead of the game and further strengthening my dislike for anything Avid!
In the past year I've had Resolve installed I've also been completely blown away at the pace of development. As a fellow Nuendo user you might be as well.

Quote:
Upon start up it was looking for the controller. I liked that. Unfortunately the controller it was looking for was the Fairlight. So, I had to go into preferences to start setting up a "handshake" with my lowly Artist Series Gear. DaVinci only gave me HUI/MCU options for "Other Controller" use. I'm still trying to figure out how to make this work. I could point to the Artist Series hardware from DaVinci but now, I'm trying to find the controls in the MC's window to SEE DaVinci!
I think the solution someone found might have been editing some text file to trick the software. Something like that. I could be wrong though.
Old 6th December 2018
Gear Addict

Can anyone talk me through how to connect the Controllers to DaVinci?

I've got Eucon Set for 20 Faders worth of HUI. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...1&d=1544122448

I've told DaVinci to use an external controller, which is Euphonix.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...1&d=1544122558

But I'm not getting any indication from either side that they "see" each other.

Can anyone tell me, step by step, how to do this?
Attached Thumbnails
Davinci Resolve & Controllers-eucon-control-panel_hui-ch.-1-20.jpg   Davinci Resolve & Controllers-artist-series-davinci-connection-pannel.jpg  
Old 6th December 2018
Gear Addict

Oh Yeah, how do you delete an unwanted project? I can't find any control that will et me remove the top title from the list.
Attached Thumbnails
Davinci Resolve & Controllers-davinci-projects-list.jpg  
Old 7th December 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:

Could you tell me how you got MCU to work with DaVinci? Moreover, could you elaborate on WHAT it would actually control once it was set up?
Old 8th December 2018
Gear Addict

Where'd everybody go?
Old 8th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Could you tell me how you got MCU to work with DaVinci? Moreover, could you elaborate on WHAT it would actually control once it was set up?
I simply chose MCU and the correct MIDI in/out port via the 'Audio Console' part of 'Preferences'. Since I pre-process the audio in a DAW right now, there's not much beyond start/stop/select/mute/fader level that I need to manage. My VST collection is visible within Fairlight, and it's easy to instantiate them.

As I mentioned earlier, there doesn't seem to be any way to make the 'Color Grading Panel' do anything related to the MCU. The list of panels is pretty short (although it includes Avid Artist Color) and I'm not ready to make that kind of investment until I understand quite a lot more about color grading.

What would you like to do?

Last edited by MediaGary; 8th December 2018 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: added question
Old 9th December 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
I simply chose MCU and the correct MIDI in/out port via the 'Audio Console' part of 'Preferences'. Since I pre-process the audio in a DAW right now, there's not much beyond start/stop/select/mute/fader level that I need to manage. My VST collection is visible within Fairlight, and it's easy to instantiate them.
What would you like to do?
What about editing? Could I control Copy/Paste, Fade In/Out, Clip Gain, Zoom, Markers, etc. Is any of that possible from the MC Control?

I showed screen shots from the Eucon side and the DaVinci Side. Something isn't right, because they're not talking to each other at all. What do I need to change?
Old 9th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
What about editing? Could I control Copy/Paste, Fade In/Out, Clip Gain, Zoom, Markers, etc. Is any of that possible from the MC Control? .
Page 2439 of the Reference Manual PDF lists the functions that can be performed by the MCU. See attached image.

The PDF is the top choice in the 'Help' menu.
Attached Thumbnails
Davinci Resolve & Controllers-davinci-page-2439.png  
Old 14th December 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Page 2439 of the Reference Manual PDF lists the functions that can be performed by the MCU. See attached image.

The PDF is the top choice in the 'Help' menu.
I COULD NOT GET THIS THING TO WORK! So, I sent an email to tech support at Black Magic Design. I heard back from them. They only support USB HUI NOT ETHERNET! Artist Series Hardware is Ethernet, hence no connection! So, this mystery is now solved.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search