The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Replacement DAW
Old 2nd August 2018
Deleted 6ccb844
Replacement DAW

I've had a bit of a love hate relationship with PT Native over the years, I wouldn't mind getting out of the subs so I'm looking about again.

I do quite a lot of midi stuff with Kontakt but for main part my songs are rock / acoustic and rarely but sometimes metal.

I have Samp as well but I've had issues with the audio engine and midi editing functions. I tried Studio one, not only was it heavier than PT it seemed like they were re-inventing the wheel for some reason?

I'm quite interested in FL Studio although I've heard the audio editing side can be a PITA, there's Reaper of course and finally Mixcraft has peaked my interested. What do ya think?
Old 2nd August 2018
Gear Guru

it took me a fair while to whip Reaper into the kind of shape I personally need it to be in. but in its defense, I was able to actually do that by assigning numerous Actions, which are like key commands, to buttons. there are a lot of things in Reaper which strike you as very unfamiliar in operational terms, but in actual fact those peculiarities and the depth of modification you can do makes it able to pretty much create your own DAW. without having to actually write your own DAW. if you aren't someone who's prepared for that challenge you could be frustrated by it.

I did a fair amount of work customizing the toolbar in the midi Editor too. things like having the cursor jumping right to the start or end of a selected note, then progress forward in beat jumps. point being, you can actually get it laid out to do those things pretty effectively. but it takes some concerted effort.

FL is probably not good for what you want. don't know Mixcraft but cubase would maybe be more along the lines of a tradition DAW with a traditional approach to Audio recording mixing and Editing.
Old 2nd August 2018
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
it took me a fair while to whip Reaper into the kind of shape I personally need it to be in. but in its defense, I was able to actually do that by assigning numerous Actions, which are like key commands, to buttons. there are a lot of things in Reaper which strike you as very unfamiliar in operational terms, but in actual fact those peculiarities and the depth of modification you can do makes it able to pretty much create your own DAW. without having to actually write your own DAW. if you aren't someone who's prepared for that challenge you could be frustrated by it.

I did a fair amount of work customizing the toolbar in the midi Editor too. things like having the cursor jumping right to the start or end of a selected note, then progress forward in beat jumps. point being, you can actually get it laid out to do those things pretty effectively. but it takes some concerted effort.

FL is probably not good for what you want. don't know Mixcraft but cubase would maybe be more along the lines of a tradition DAW with a traditional approach to Audio recording mixing and Editing.
Some cracking info there, thanks.. I noticed Mixcraft has a score roll editor like PT's Sibelius which is rather attractive plus it's supposed to be as light weight.

Definatley between those two, I did notice a PT skin for Reaper which could help transition somewhat.
Old 4th August 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD View Post
Some cracking info there, thanks.. I noticed Mixcraft has a score roll editor like PT's Sibelius which is rather attractive plus it's supposed to be as light weight.

Definatley between those two, I did notice a PT skin for Reaper which could help transition somewhat.
I used the PT skin for a while because it had a degree of visual simplicity. it’s not so space efficient though so I changed out to default_commal_4 or it’s default_commal_5.

It’s now laid out pretty nicely over 4 screen sets. I can get to almost all the things I have ever learned it’s important for me to be able to get to. but crucially not via key commands, by buttons which I placed and so are pretty easy for me to know why they're there. even if I forget briefly. I’ve used DAW’s a long time and it took a fair amount of application.

but even if you use another DAW, it’s one worth slowly hacking away at every now and then. it’s very small in size and incredibly efficient on the processor. two reasons I became attracted to it.

I don’t really know anything about Mixcraft but it looks audio track recording and editing focused. so it’s probably good for what you want and lightweight is always good.
Old 6th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I've had a bit of a love hate relationship with PT Native over the years, I wouldn't mind getting out of the subs so I'm looking about again.

I do quite a lot of midi stuff with Kontakt but for main part my songs are rock / acoustic and rarely but sometimes metal.

I have Samp as well but I've had issues with the audio engine and midi editing functions. I tried Studio one, not only was it heavier than PT it seemed like they were re-inventing the wheel for some reason?

I'm quite interested in FL Studio although I've heard the audio editing side can be a PITA, there's Reaper of course and finally Mixcraft has peaked my interested. What do ya think?
What issues have you had with Samplitude? Where it has so many options, it may just be a matter of tweaking something in a sub-menu to smooth out whatever you're facing. It could just be a wrong setting for your computer.
Old 6th August 2018
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBSoundSmith View Post
What issues have you had with Samplitude? Where it has so many options, it may just be a matter of tweaking something in a sub-menu to smooth out whatever you're facing. It could just be a wrong setting for your computer.
Hope so, appreciate the support..

One issue is midi lag, for some reason even if you quantize your midi tracks they just play out of time with each other.

Second issue is setting up the audio engine like Pro Tools, I set the pan law to -2.5dB but it sounds so different it's not even funny. I do wonder if it pans wider by default? But I've no real way to find out.
Old 6th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hope so, appreciate the support..

One issue is midi lag, for some reason even if you quantize your midi tracks they just play out of time with each other.

Second issue is setting up the audio engine like Pro Tools, I set the pan law to -2.5dB but it sounds so different it's not even funny. I do wonder if it pans wider by default? But I've no real way to find out.
Regarding the first issue: are you using a mixture of hardware instruments and software, or some other setup where your DAW sends MIDI to something external? If so, I suspect the returning info is arriving with a delay. Perhaps you don't have a Midi Clock or other synchronization options fully optimized for your setup? Another thing to check is to see whether or not you may have accidentally adjusted a particular track's channel delay on the mixer.

Regarding the second: this one is harder to suggest for. First off, if you haven't already, right click on the "pan" knob of one of your tracks to bring up the Stereo Editor dialog. Then be sure to click Help and read absolutely everything, including all of the sub-links. It's very detailed, and you might be able to figure out whether or not you are summing channels correctly (eg, a stereo channel being converted to mono, mid/side, etc), whether you're running into phasing issues, or whether something like surround panning got enabled on a channel and something then got misplaced in the stereo image...it's really hard to say here. I've no doubt you can get it setup to be exactly like you have in Pro Tools, it may just take some digging in the manual and comparing settings of both applications to get them matched up. The numbers to get a 1:1 end result may not be 1:1 in actual input.
Old 13th August 2018
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Regarding the first issue: are you using a mixture of hardware instruments and software, or some other setup where your DAW sends MIDI to something external? If so, I suspect the returning info is arriving with a delay. Perhaps you don't have a Midi Clock or other synchronization options fully optimized for your setup? Another thing to check is to see whether or not you may have accidentally adjusted a particular track's channel delay on the mixer.

Regarding the second: this one is harder to suggest for. First off, if you haven't already, right click on the "pan" knob of one of your tracks to bring up the Stereo Editor dialog. Then be sure to click Help and read absolutely everything, including all of the sub-links. It's very detailed, and you might be able to figure out whether or not you are summing channels correctly (eg, a stereo channel being converted to mono, mid/side, etc), whether you're running into phasing issues, or whether something like surround panning got enabled on a channel and something then got misplaced in the stereo image...it's really hard to say here. I've no doubt you can get it setup to be exactly like you have in Pro Tools, it may just take some digging in the manual and comparing settings of both applications to get them matched up. The numbers to get a 1:1 end result may not be 1:1 in actual input.
Again appreciate the support, on issue #1 it seems like a bug. It holds the midi information in a buffer then it try's to re-sync and then just goes a bit awry till it sync's again. I'll upgrade and see what happens or send a message off to Magix..

I'm only using a midi piano and vsti's like Kontakt.

On #2 it's definatley not a phase issue, I gotta give samplitude kudo's here it's ADC / time domain / buffer accuracy on any channel is king.. It's always crystal clear, there seems to be some conflicting information as to how PT is setup and there's next to nothing on the correlation between the two..

But it seems -2.5dB global is a good place to start.
Old 14th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Again appreciate the support, on issue #1 it seems like a bug. It holds the midi information in a buffer then it try's to re-sync and then just goes a bit awry till it sync's again. I'll upgrade and see what happens or send a message off to Magix..

I'm only using a midi piano and vsti's like Kontakt.

On #2 it's definatley not a phase issue, I gotta give samplitude kudo's here it's ADC / time domain / buffer accuracy on any channel is king.. It's always crystal clear, there seems to be some conflicting information as to how PT is setup and there's next to nothing on the correlation between the two..

But it seems -2.5dB global is a good place to start.
Hmm. What audio driver do you have enabled? And what is your buffer size and monitoring setup?
Old 14th August 2018
Lives for gear

Saw studio. SAWStudio by RML Labs
Old 14th August 2018
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Hmm. What audio driver do you have enabled? And what is your buffer size and monitoring setup?
I'm using an MOTU 1248, I record in Pro Tools @ 128 samples and mix at 256 / 512.. Did the same with Samp.

I use CueMix for tracking mainly, shame you can't do that with VSTI's..
Old 19th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'm using an MOTU 1248, I record in Pro Tools @ 128 samples and mix at 256 / 512.. Did the same with Samp.

I use CueMix for tracking mainly, shame you can't do that with VSTI's..
Alright. And what are your monitoring settings within Samplitude? There are five different monitoring choices which can effect latency in various ways. Perhaps you might need to switch the setting? Also, are you using economy tracks?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search