The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
GarageBand imports are louder than original?
Old 17th June 2018
Gear Maniac

GarageBand imports are louder than original?

Yo, what is good?

I imported some files for mixing into GarageBand. After playing them back a few times I noticed that the master and drum track are both clipping.

Imported in Audition and they did not clip at all.

Investigated and found that GarageBand somehow increases the volume of imports. Is there any way around that?

Does someone maybe know by how much the volume is increased of each file?

I want to have the original volume when I import them into GB.

Thanks.
Old 18th June 2018
Deleted User
1. Make sure you dont have anything on the main outputs, Open up the Smart Controls and check there for each track and master tabs

2. There isn't any IMPORT prefs from what I can see here to adjust imported audio levels. The manual doesn't show anything either

3. You CAN adjust the Prefs/Advanced/Export Projects at Full Loudness, that basically turns on and off the NORMALIZING for the EXPORT only
Old 18th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
1. Make sure you dont have anything on the main outputs, Open up the Smart Controls and check there for each track and master tabs

2. There isn't any IMPORT prefs from what I can see here to adjust imported audio levels. The manual doesn't show anything either

3. You CAN adjust the Prefs/Advanced/Export Projects at Full Loudness, that basically turns on and off the NORMALIZING for the EXPORT only
Auto Normalize is turned off. I disabled / removed all effects on all tracks and master. I even tried different sample rates of the wav files. But when I export the song / play it in GB it clips.

Thing is that when I export each group seperately in GarageBand the files have same LUFS as the originals. Only when they are played simultainously or exported together as complete song from GB they clip.

I really don't understand what is causing this. The GB export song and the original song export from Maschine differ in about 4 LUFS.

Does GB maybe increase the volume of imports by defaults? For example I know Adobe Premiere reduces the volume of imported audio by 3dB.
Old 18th June 2018
Deleted User
Dont know, I would guess it does auto normalize on import. If you are MIXING in GB why dont you just turn them all down and start from scratch anyway?

I will cont to look for an answer on this as Im curious as well
Old 19th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Dont know, I would guess it does auto normalize on import. If you are MIXING in GB why dont you just turn them all down and start from scratch anyway?

I will cont to look for an answer on this as Im curious as well
I don't want to start from scratch because I balance my levels in Maschine before exporting. I want to mix the wav's in GB which of course means the levels will be different after EQing and need to be adjusted but the starting point is different when I have to turn down everything in GB after importing.. and I don't even know by how much each file was boosted - if at all. I'd have to relevel everything, then mix and adjust instead of going straight to mixing.

I'll post here if I find a solution. Right now I've tried everything I could think of.
Maybe someone else got an idea how to solve this.

For people who want to test this themselves:

- Export 3 different sound files from a DAW (not GB) (preferably one file with Drums, one with a Piano / Organ and a third that's not a primary instrument)
and export the files as one whole song
- Measure the loudness of each file (if you have Audition use Amplitude Statistics)
- Import files into GB and look at the playback volume
- Export the entire song and each file seperately with GB.
- Measure the loudness of each file

I've found that individual tracks exported from GB have the same loudness as the originals but the entire song was always 4 LUFS louder.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search