The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best DAW for kickdrum layering and design?
Old 3rd April 2018
Here for the gear

Best DAW for kickdrum layering and design?

Hello,

Getting fedup with flstudio. Been using it for a few years and its great for standard production but so annoying when trying to create unique kick drums.

Whats good?

I want the ability to shape adsr, eq, NUDGE sounds into phase, AND shape the start/end envelope pitch so each kick runs smoothly into the next before routing to drumbus for compression and further eq.

FL does have a decent adsr function but is limited when wanting to do anything with it, also no ability to nudge in micro amounts, and pitch shaping is almot obsolete - now I have been able to do everything I want in FL but spending way too much time setting evrything up and even then, the kick has clicks in it, supposedly, imo, because it just isnt clinical enough to create smooth transitions.. anyway enough ranting, What is good?
Old 15th May 2018
Lives for gear

Can't say I've ever had those issues before. Might want to try a DAW that'a more geared towards tracking and mixing. Post a clip with your click in it.
Old 17th May 2018
Here for the gear

Ableton is what your looking for. not a fun of such non-linear daws but its what you need
Old 17th May 2018
Here for the gear

ableton
Old 18th May 2018
Gear Nut

Any DAW basically, but I would say easiest are FL Studio, Bitwig and Ableton Live with FL Studio beaing easiest/fastest in this regard of all if you want sample based layering.
Every channel in FL is Sampler by default in and preview/replacement of samples on the fly is way faster than Ableton. You can do the same in other DAWs but not as quick. Bitwig is also faster than Ableton Live in this regard and close to FL.

Also take a look at Geist VSTi from FXPansion which makes layering samples a breeze and you can use it in any DAW.
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

You might find Vengeance Metrum or Sonic Academy Kick 2 useful. You can load samples into them for further processing.
Old 27th May 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks for the replies, will have to check out the geist and kick2 plugins, maybe look into bitwig also..
Still using flstudio for producing
Old 27th May 2018
Lives for gear
For nudging audio, i have yet to come across any daw that is as flexible as pro tools. Pretty much whatever nudge factor you can think of pro tools can do it. Doesnt matter if you need to nudge by eighth notes, 1 sample, 33 samples, 1/4 frame, 0.3 miliseconds, 31 seconds, or any time code value....pro tools can do it with ease. Additionally, the edit window in protools is sample accurate and provides and sample accurate view across multiple tracks simultaneosly so what you see is what you get.

For sound replacement i use a combination of geist and massey dtr. Any sampler will give you asdr capability. Massey dtr creates a time accurate midi track of the audio and can replace audio as well. I find using geist with it is easier.

ej
Old 28th May 2018
Here for the gear

Renoise
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
For nudging audio, i have yet to come across any daw that is as flexible as pro tools. Pretty much whatever nudge factor you can think of pro tools can do it. Doesnt matter if you need to nudge by eighth notes, 1 sample, 33 samples, 1/4 frame, 0.3 miliseconds, 31 seconds, or any time code value....pro tools can do it with ease. Additionally, the edit window in protools is sample accurate and provides and sample accurate view across multiple tracks simultaneosly so what you see is what you get.

For sound replacement i use a combination of geist and massey dtr. Any sampler will give you asdr capability. Massey dtr creates a time accurate midi track of the audio and can replace audio as well. I find using geist with it is easier.

ej
Most DAWS (mixing DAW's, not necessarily production DAW's) have these capabilities. Pro Tools was one of the last to catch up with that, actually.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search