The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acid Pro 8: what you loved (what must NOT change?) DAW Software
Old 26th March 2018
Lives for gear

Acid Pro 8: what you loved (what must NOT change?)

Hello guys,

So I'm testing AP8 and I'd like to know what you guys loved about this DAW.

This way I can make sure the soul of Acid Pro 6/7 stays intact and gets improved.

It's faster for me to gather the positive points rather than just asking the obvious and time-consuming question of what's to be done / catching up those 8 years (everything Studio One mixing wise, the modular power of Live 10 and Cubase 9.5's handling of midi / chord assistant).

Please don't get over excited. Version 8.0 is meant to be an emergency reboot.

Hopefully this thread will get more than a couple replies.
Old 26th March 2018
PHG
Gear Addict

I am really looking forward to Acid Pro 8. The last versions that I used extensively were V2 through V4. I just recently got V7, but haven't spent much time with it yet.

When you say "Please don't get over excited, Version 8.0 is meant to be an emergency reboot", do you mean that not many changes have been made for V8?

I never really used the loop libraries, except for the first couple songs when I was learning. I liked to use Acid to audition my own samples from WAV or MP3, edit them, layer them, then arrange them into whole songs. I used to just use the pencil tool to draw them all in where I wanted them.

After a while, I bought some nice hardware samplers, and my workflow with Acid changed. I mostly use Acid now to cut up drum loops into single hits, then load them into my hardware samplers. Or sometimes I will take a longer section of a song that I want to load in my hardware (like a full intact drum loop, or other instruments), and use Acid to zoom in and set the exact start point and end point that I want to work with, then truncate the rest out.

I tried Pro Tools, but had lots of problems with it. I kind of gave up on DAWs over the last 10 years, and have just been writing and tracking everything on hardware. I really want to get back to working with a DAW again, so I can incorporate more live instrument tracks and VST instruments too, and would love to use Acid Pro 8 for that. It would really simplify my workflow if I could do all the stuff I described above, as well as sync all my hardware to it with midi and track into it. I've read that Acid 7 has some midi sync problems, but don't have any experience with it myself.

My favorite things about Acid:

-Easy to audition WAV or MP3 samples in the Explorer window.
-Easy to pitch the samples up or down.
-The pencil tool, which allows to easily paint a sample on to a track, or erase parts of the same sample.
-The ability to zoom way in or out on the track window. I like how precisely I can edit the samples after zooming in (pencil tool, erase tool, adjusting the start point, drawing volume lines or pan lines, etc.)
-The ability to easily grab the sample and move it a few milliseconds forward or back, in order to line it up with other events in the song.
-The ability to copy the sample (along with all the volume lines, pan lines), then paste it repeatedly on the same track.
-It's easy to resize any of the Windows on the main screen, to fit your own workflow.

Old 27th March 2018
Here for the gear

Hey!
I LOVE Acid Pro, and am incredibly jealous that you're beta testing right now.
I've been using Acid Pro exclusively for the last 15 years, and absolutely love it over a lot of other DAWs I've tried.

I LOVE being able to drop an mp3/mp4/wav into acid, have the beatmatcher come up, beatmatch my sample to the grid. I love being able to quickly pitch samples up/down using the +/- buttons, and also LOVE the Acid Types (Loop, One Shot, Beatmatched), and the options within Beatmatched to stretch things using the Elastique/Pro settings (sounds reallllly good) when stretching. I also love the "preserve formants while pitching" option for creating some cool effects on pitched samples.

I love being able to Bus tracks together, put FX on those busses, as well as put FX on individual tracks.
I love the shortcuts for reversing tracks "simply press U".
I love the multitrack recording features in Acid 7, being able to record 16+ tracks at once.

In addition to 64bit power and VST3 support I WOULD LOVE to see:
- A beat quantizer more like Abelton's, where everything just 'clicks' in to the correct beat. The Beat Mapping system is close, but could use a little work.
- Laptop trackpad/touchscreen support. Using a mouse to zoom/scroll up/down/left/right is easy and intuitive, but using a trackpad makes for strange commands - ie, "Zooming" on a track pad (like you would zoom in on a photo on an iPhone) scrolls Up and Down, rather than zooming in and out.

Thank you for caring about Acid Pro! I've been waiting on a 64bit upgrade since Windows 7 came out and am SO excited about this!!! If you need any other beta testers I would LOVE to help out. I've made every song I've ever done on Acid Pro, including creating, recording, mixing, and mastering this entire album -
YouTube

Thank you again
-Garnet
Animal Nation
[email protected]
Old 27th March 2018
Here for the gear

+ Everything that PHB said. Especially the zooming and easy to use pencil tool.

OH!!! I also LOVE the marque tool (Selection Tool). I love when you're using this tool and you right click, the Selection tool switches from regular selection to "everything in this vertical line" selection, and then you right click again and it turns into a "horizontal" selection tool.
I probably didn't describe that properly, but next time you're using Acid, use the Selection tool, start to drag with your Left Mouse Button, then while still holding the left button, click down the Right Mouse Button, and your selection tool will switch from normal to Vertical to Horizontal selection tool.
This is a very very useful tool
Old 27th March 2018
PHG
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalnation View Post
+ Everything that PHB said. Especially the zooming and easy to use pencil tool.

OH!!! I also LOVE the marque tool (Selection Tool). I love when you're using this tool and you right click, the Selection tool switches from regular selection to "everything in this vertical line" selection, and then you right click again and it turns into a "horizontal" selection tool.
I probably didn't describe that properly, but next time you're using Acid, use the Selection tool, start to drag with your Left Mouse Button, then while still holding the left button, click down the Right Mouse Button, and your selection tool will switch from normal to Vertical to Horizontal selection tool.
This is a very very useful tool
Co-signed. That's a good one!
Old 2nd April 2018
PHG
Gear Addict

Hopefully more people have some feedback.

Let us know if you can share any more details about the Beta testing. Anything you like or don't like so far? Any big surprises? Tentative release date?
Old 7th April 2018
Lives for gear
I think I've used all the versions since version 3.

Things that I do not like about Acid Pro 7:

1. The summing sounds bad to me. The last project I recorded in Acid I ended up mixing in Reaper.

2. Acid Pro needs a basic set of quality plugins. I know that I'd regularly use the delay(s) that came with the program but nothing else really.

The cool thing to me in Acid Pro 7 is the groove mapping. Absolutely love it. That and that it is such an easy program to initially realize a musical idea with are probably it's two biggest strengths.
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear

Any benefits over ableton?Workflow ect?
Old 13th April 2018
PHG
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
From my limited experience with Ableton about 10 years ago, it was not very similar to Acid Pro.

Acid Pro has more similarities with current versions of Pro Tools and Reaper, if you are familiar with those.

Acid is an excellent tool for sample based production, but can also do other things well, like record live audio tracks and midi.

The big advantages that Acid Pro has over every other DAW that I have tried:

1. It is very easy to use the explorer window (works just like Windows explorer) to navigate to any folder on your harddrive that contains sound files like MP3 or WAV. Once you click on the file, it will automatically play it, beat map it, or let you do things like pitch shift or timestretch before you pull it into a track of your project.

2. It is very easy to draw the audio file on to a track, then do extensive editing on it. The controls (draw, erase, pan, volume adjust, zoom in, etc) are as easy and comprehensive as using MSPaint. Most other DAWs will make you jump through more hurdles to do this, and don't do it as well.
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear

Sony Acid was a solid performer and a GREAT tool for creating a tune FAST.

That's what I loved about it.

What I don't LIKE about it now is that Magix took it over. Every piece of software I've used that Magix got their hands on (or created), in my experience, is unstable and buggy.
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonlinear View Post
What I don't LIKE about it now is that Magix took it over. Every piece of software I've used that Magix got their hands on (or created), in my experience, is unstable and buggy.
Well, I understand your apprehension, but what was the alternative? Without Magix coming to the rescue there would be no ACID Pro 8 at all. After nearly a decade since Acid Pro 7 first release, Sony was not going to advance the product anymore. All I was really wanting Sony to do was bring us 64bit OS support and a stable release. If Magix can pull that off and then continue development on a stable 64bit platform I will be quite happy. A big issue for me has been ACID Pro's proclivity to become buggy/unstable when using third party plugins.

I recently used my ACID Pro 6 license to upgrade to AP7 for the free upgrade to Pro 8. I am willing to see where this "reboot" of ACID Pro takes us. So far the announced 64bit support, VST 3 and refreshed GUI has hit all the right buttons for me. If Magix can support AP8 with bugfixes and ongoing enhancements I will be fine with that. I am really looking forward to getting my download link and giving AP8 a thorough test drive.
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

Acid was the first real piece of software that I purchased. I think I started with Ver2. When Acid first came out it was truly revolutionary in it's approach and process to creating. Sadly, for me, I think Acid is so antiquated and lacks any real cutting edge features and workflow that I don't have a desire to get back on the Acid train. After many years, Cubase contains most of the same cutting edge features that Acid first had, but Cubase has much better midi implementation, so that's where I will be.

I am not trying to denigrate Acid at all, but I really hope that Magix can somehow restore it to it's previous glory. I just get a bit sad when I see such promising software simply get lost in the shuffle.

fb
Old 14th April 2018
Gear Addict

Things I LOVE about Acid Pro 7:

- It's ease to draw in loops.
- Pitch-shifting is amazing!
- Very precise zooming tool.
- Extremely good cursor-point tool, very good for slicing up samples!
- Color coded Project/timeline markers are fairly good!
- Like the one-shot & stretching options in the Track Properties.
- The Track Properties window & all its features are extremely helpful.

Things I DON'T LIKE about Acid Pro 7:

- The file explorer window would be better placed on the top right or left side of the DAW. It's current position is extremely impractical for when browsing files. It should have it's entirely own dedicated area, and not be overlapped or cluttered up by the other "View Windows". PLEASE consider this!!!

- When trying to preview Samples with the "Start Preview" feature - if my project tempo is slow (like 75 bpm for eg.), the sample previews when playing (loops and one shots) are altered due to my projects tempo, and sound all "stretchy", "draggy" and "robotic". As a result, I'm forced to manually speed up the projects tempo just so I can hear the sample previewed appropriately. This is my BIGGEST pet-peeve I tell ya!!!

- If you can find a way, so that when a track has both Volume & Panning envelopes: to NOT have the volume and panning markers overlapping on-top of eachother. What tends to happen is, when you have pan & volume markers at the exact same spot; when you try to drag one (the volume for eg.), often times it edits/ moves the other one (panning instead). PLEASE find a way to avoid this from happening!

- The mixing console could be greatly improved. I think FL Studio & Ableton both have exemplary ones!

- I think the buffering mechanics seem kind of laggy and outdated. I'm sure they could be improved.

- Trying to record in (raw audio) via certain interfaces has been nothing but a nightmare for me! Whether it's from a turntable or a keyboard. I've gotten hiss along with my recorded audio, clicks & pops, sometimes it won't even record at all. Using the same equipment, I would fire up cubase right away and have zero issue whatsoever. I think the recording feature has some bugs.

- The MIDI function is waaaaaaaay outdated, poorly designed & unusable for me.

- You need more advanced implementation & better handling of VST's & External Effects. I've had so many issues with certain VST's not working, or working very poorly. I think it's time that Acid Pro partners up with a good VST manufacturer, and adds a number of good & reputable VST's into it's DAW for its users. The stock effects are sooooo ancient now!

Last edited by Petros; 15th April 2018 at 02:21 AM..
Old 17th April 2018
Gear Addict

A few more things I forgot to add to the list :

- When dropping in a selected group of files into the DAW all at once, please find a way so that the files drop in/ stack up in order (meaning in the order they're selected or numbered). Everytime I drop in a number of files all together, their ordering gets all mixed up. This never used to happen with older versions of Acid if I recall correctly.

- Whenever I need to make a duplicate of a track, and place a different audio file on the second duplicate, while replacing the file on my duplicate channel, the channel (for some reason) preserves the name of the original file that was there, rather than taking on the name of the new file I replaced onto (into) the channel. I can always rename the channel, but it's just a matter of convenience and smoothening out the workflow. Every little bit makes a difference.

- The same thing I mentioned about the Volume & Panning envelopes in my previous post, getting overlapped and becoming hard to drag without affecting each other. The exact same thing happens between the dotted volume envelopes, and the "blue lined" velocity envelopes which one can adjust on their sample slices. They get in the way of eachother so to speak.
Old 20th April 2018
Here for the gear
If I am reading correctly - the initial roll out won't have VST3 support. Bummer
Old 21st April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeattyjr View Post
If I am reading correctly - the initial roll out won't have VST3 support. Bummer

VEEEERY disappointing lackluster & unprofessional for such a long-awaited release, of a legendary program....10 years after!

Last edited by Petros; 21st April 2018 at 04:03 AM..
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Hello @Everyone,

I'm compiling your answers to discuss them internally.

PS: If you want very precise Features, or features "as seen in" other mainstream DAWs (Live, Cubase, Logic, FLStudio, Studio One), please let me know as well.
Not trying to copycat, just trying to know what workflow / feature you'd love to see in AP8/9.

PS 2: Acid Pro 8.0 is out this week (yes). What I meant by "Emergency Reboot": Don't expect anything fancy, just new mandatory features, some GUI update, huge debug / stability improvements (really, lot of manpower was invested on making it rock solid), and all we loved about Acid Pro 7... in x64 .

Last edited by Zacchino; 23rd April 2018 at 06:48 AM..
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
VEEEERY disappointing lackluster & unprofessional for such a long-awaited release, of a legendary program....10 years after!
We all feel the same. Blame Sony. Blame the Universe.
Now Magix is here to the rescue. Trust me, they didn't "need" another DAW in their pool. They did it out of pure "passion". They're real, dedicated fanboys of Acid Pro.

Last edited by Zacchino; 23rd April 2018 at 06:48 AM..
Old 23rd April 2018
PHG
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacchino View Post
Hello @Everyone,

I'm compiling your answers to discuss them internally.

PS: If you want very precise Features, or features "as seen in" other mainstream DAWs (Live, Cubase, Logic, FLStudio, Studio One), please let me know as well.
Not trying to copycat, just trying to know what workflow / feature you'd love to see in AP8/9.

PS 2: Acid Pro 8.0 is out this week (yes). Again, this is a emergency "Reboot". Don't expect anything fancy, just new mandatory features, huge debug / stability improvements (really, lot of manpower was invested on making it rock solid), and all we loved about Acid Pro 7... in x64 .
I'll be buying the new version this week.

Thanks for passing on our feedback. I'm kind of out of the loop when it comes to modern DAWs, but I'll try to think of some other feature suggestions.
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

@PHB,

Do your best Even if you're using the unofficial old days refugee DAW called "Reaper"

That said,

With Magix, it's a whole other philosophy compared to Sony (Creative Softwares):
- No more "Sorry, we can't disclose this"
- No more deadline lies
- No more "Feature Requests" dumped in the trash.
Remember how they told us to send our Requests in an obscure form with 25 fields, in a sub-sub-page of the website? Just to find out only 2% of them were taken into account?. Hopefully, Sony's Peter Haller (ex-Product Owner at SCS) was responsive, but I believe that unfortunately, he hands and feet were tied by corporate bureaucracy.

So, thankfully, we're back to the golden age of Sonic Foundry when it comes to User Feedback.

Last edited by Zacchino; 23rd April 2018 at 06:46 AM..
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
Just the Zoom Grid. Nuf said

Seriously, don't expect to live up to Live 10 , even over Studio One 3 (my personal fav).
And why shouldn't you? I'm not going to throw you this "Every DAW has its flavor" anthem...
But yes, Acid Pro's flavor find its beauty in its incredibly fast / straight forward workflow.

And the key to making music, specially nowadays, is a swift workflow.
If a DAW's workflow is crooked, nevertheless how amazing features they throw on top of it, it's still going to feel like bending metal, instead of just empowering your creativity.

So, you want "Scenes" à la Live?
You want "Clips" à la FL Studio?
You want "Comping" à la Studio One?
We all do.

But for now, Acid Pro is about composing music at the pace of the speed of mind. And I'm pretty sure once it's done, adding a Scenes-like sequencer will be flawlessly integrated, adding Comping as well. And so on. Brick by brick.

But now is your chance to be apart of the rebirth of a "blank page" DAW. Where the community is still small, but will grow over time very quickly, where Developers are very fast coders with an open mindset.

Look at Cubase's forum.
Whenever you submit a new feature request, legacy/hardcore users bark at you "If you want this feature, go take a hike. Go use (X) Daw if you love it so much"
And because of this philosophy, Cubase is slowly but surely dying (and don't get me started on the licenser usb key).

Of course we don't need another DAW. We're living an amazing time in the Music Software business, we're so spoiled with amazing choices.

What we need is a DAW made by YOU for YOU.
Not made by an ex-Cubase developer looking to get a stake at Steinberg's or Avid's market share. Or an ex-Live developer looking to come up with some kind of revenge DAW (nothing wrong with those 2 background stories, what I mean is: ask yourself what do you want your DAW's core philosophy to be?).

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Zacchino; 23rd April 2018 at 07:00 AM..
Old 23rd April 2018
PHG
Gear Addict

The main feature I can think of right now that would be useful to me is a little hard to describe...

-I want Acid Pro to detect my physical keyboard that is hooked up by MIDI.
-Have a built in plugin in Acid Pro, which is a virtual representation of my keyboard.
-It doesn't need to be mapped to every controller button on my keyboard, but at least be able to set the number of keys (61, 88).
-I want to be able to use the Explorer window in Acid Pro to go through my MPC/WAV sample library.
-Then I want to be able to drag and drop the sample to assign it to any key on the virtual keyboard.
-Then I can play the key on my physical keyboard, and it will play the sample in the virtual keyboard.
-Then be able to record a track of MIDI and Audio from the virtual keyboard.
-Even if it just treated all the samples as one-shots, that would be fine. It wouldn't need to do fancy stuff with the samples like looping, cross fades, etc.
-It would be good if the virtual keyboard could at least detect velocity that the physical keyboard is triggering it at.
-It would be if you could go back through the midi sequence, and adjust the velocity or volume of each midi event, or use the mouse to drag the midi event a little backwards or forwards before recording the audio.

Then just take the same idea, but with any Akai MPC/MPD controller. Basically just make a plugin built in to Acid Pro that works a lot like the current Akai MPC Software 2.2.
Old 23rd April 2018
PHG
Gear Addict

The download link just went up on the Magix website. You can download and get a free 30 day trial.
Old 23rd April 2018
Here for the gear

I'd really love to see some kind of Elektron style conditional triggering of samples/loops. I could imagine selecting a region of one of your tracks and assigning probabilities for each retriggering to add some random variations to longer tracks.
Old 23rd April 2018
Gear Head

Now that Magix owns Acid, I’m not excited AT ALL!
Old 23rd April 2018
Here for the gear

Just downloaded & installed the trial.
Wow. lightning-fast workflow. me like :-)

would be nice to have the ability to change interface like in Vegas Pro tho;

https://i.imgur.com/w7C5Qgd.png
Attached Thumbnails
Acid Pro 8: what you loved (what must NOT change?)-w7c5qgd.png  
Old 23rd April 2018
PHG
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhop View Post
Just downloaded & installed the trial.
Wow. lightning-fast workflow. me like :-)

would be nice to have the ability to change interface like in Vegas Pro tho;

https://i.imgur.com/w7C5Qgd.png
Yeah, I'm not really crazy about black background with white text. I'd like to be able to set the interface color to look more like the previous versions. I haven't found any option in 8.0 to do that yet.
Old 24th April 2018
Here for the gear
Hey guys I have created this SOUND ENGINEER SURVEY for my university research project - It's very short, thanks!

Sound Engineer Survey
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

Now that Magix has taken over there is hope that Acid Pro will become a big success. Didnt like the Sony approach to the new design.
However, I guess there's no 32bit version available?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search