The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acid Pro 8: what you loved (what must NOT change?) DAW Software
Old 25th April 2018
Here for the gear

When you install it still gives an option to install a 32-bit version.

Played with it for a couple of hours last night, I quickly realized how much I had been missing ACID's ability to seamlessly preview new loops in real time and on time.

The only issue I had was it didn't seem to find any of my existing VST plugins, and I couldn't find where I could specify VST search paths.

I am looking forward to getting it integrated it with my MPC X, seems like a killer combo!
Old 26th April 2018
Here for the gear

Ah, I just found the plug-in manager window which has a configure icon for adding VST paths and scanning. May have been the same in older versions, I just never used VSTs in older versions of Acid.

MPC 2.2 Plugin loaded with no issues and is working great so far! I'm not gonna get a chance to really stress test it for stability until the weekend.
Old 26th April 2018
PHG
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleScratch View Post
Ah, I just found the plug-in manager window which has a configure icon for adding VST paths and scanning. May have been the same in older versions, I just never used VSTs in older versions of Acid.

MPC 2.2 Plugin loaded with no issues and is working great so far! I'm not gonna get a chance to really stress test it for stability until the weekend.
I hope they work well together! I've been considering buying the MPC Studio Black with the MPC 2.2 software after watching a lot of videos of it. It seems like the work flow would be amazing if it can run alongside Acid.
Old 16th May 2018
Lives for gear
Any positive user experiences with the upgrade???
Old 24th May 2018
Here for the gear

I've been using it for a good month now and I have had no issues with it, and zero crashes of any kind. I had initially thought of using it with the MPC X using the MPC VST inline. But I kind of adapted my workflow to where I create the beats on the MPC X in standalone mode, placing each individual drum sound on a different track and then I just export the stems to a shared USB drive. From there I import the stems into Acid and use them to build up and break down the song structures as I like. Then I also add looped or chopped up melodic and atmospheric elements, as well as vocals and scratching using Acid. I could do that on the MPC, but it's much faster and less restrictive in Acid. I guess when I think about it, I could have pretty much taken the same approach with an older version of Acid, but I'm happy they've brought it into the 64-bit realm. My next project is to see how well it works via ReWire with 64-bit Reason.
Old 13th June 2018
Gear Head

Since Sony sold and Magix took over, I won’t ever touch Acid again.
Old 14th July 2018
Here for the gear

They need to provide the original colour theme, at the moment there is only the dark version. Acid Pro 8 keeps crashing for me, I guess this new 64bit does not like 32bit plugins? Its strange they would release such a classic DAW 10 years later with these basic issues present.
Old 18th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by aura View Post
They need to provide the original colour theme, at the moment there is only the dark version. Acid Pro 8 keeps crashing for me, I guess this new 64bit does not like 32bit plugins? Its strange they would release such a classic DAW 10 years later with these basic issues present.
Because it’s not Sony, it’s Magix
Old 17th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by akai612 View Post
Now that Magix has taken over there is hope that Acid Pro will become a big success. Didnt like the Sony approach to the new design.
However, I guess there's no 32bit version available?
TBH it seems the main Dev's not 100% on it. I've submitted several Bug Repros, suggested a UI Revamp, and nothing's been moving forward since v8 release.

It reminds me of the Sony story. Human ressources seems to be pushed toward other assets with more users.
Acid Pro 8 got rescued, but it doesn't seem to be surrounded with an extensive team of multiple Full-Stack Devs, Q&A, Multiple Designers POV.

Well the market for Acid Pro has shrinked drastically. So either Magix's CEO convices the Shareholders to take it seriously, or either Magix acts like Magix (a Middle-Market Software Dev House).
Magix got a dying baby on their hand, packed with a middle-market video and audio editing "kinda flagship but not quite" softwares.
So I wouldn't be surprised if they'd just stick with 2 updates / year (which in the Music Tech nowdays is VERY weak).

Uhhh... What can we do.
I'm keeping an eye on it for 6 more months and if nothing seems to change, I'm quitting this ship (again).

Last edited by Zacchino; 17th August 2018 at 10:05 PM..
Old 17th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozraves View Post
Any positive user experiences with the upgrade???
It's a Yes & No.

Yes for the 64Bit. But no more support for 32Bit Plugins (yet we still have, surprisingly, DirectX Plugins working).

No for the rest. Take a One Shot wave file, add 1 Fade on each end. Make both fades meet at the middle: crash.

Load it with more than 4 Kontakt instances with more than 7-8Gb of Library: crash (I yet have to report this stress test but I'm starting to lack the will).

Mhh what else... Oh yes, the Plugin Manager AND the File Explorer are still a pain to work with. No Search, No Tags, Renaming is tedious (not sure if even possible on VST Instruments).

I've also Featured Request several times a basic Sampler where we can drag/drop one-shots from the explorer. Since version 6.0.

No way to backup or restore your Options / Settings / Plugin List (Index) / Workspace Layout.

No VSTFx/VSTi Independant Process option (to avoid crashing the whole thing when 1 plugin crashes, as it's being contained)

If Kontakt (for instance) has been updated to a newer version (even 4.0 to a sub-version like 4.1), Acid won't find the VSTi and will lose all your Kontakt Multi / Session / Routing (hours of works most of the time).

No options to change the whole THEME. Adding some Dark Grey background and changing the Mute/Solo button is NOT a UI Revamp.

Most of these issues have been reported over and over to the Sony Forum, some other forum from Acid Pro fans, and countless e-Mails from Beta-testers.

@OldTimeGrinder: I feel you now. Took me a while.
Old 17th August 2018
PHG
Gear Addict

I was hoping it would be updated enough to work as a primary DAW... But after using it for a few weeks, I don't think it will.

I tried to set up a couple audio tracks to monitor sound in real-time coming out of my hardware synths, but it doesn't sound very good. Kind of distorted, and clips easily. Maybe I need to adjust some settings to make it sound better, but I can't figure it out so far. I tried the same thing in Reaper, and Presonus Studio One, and it sounds much better.

ACID is still good for quickly chopping up MP3 samples though. I think I'll just keep using it to do that, then put the samples into my hardware or other software to actually play them and arrange songs.
Old 20th August 2018
Lives for gear

@PHG,

1. Have you tried installing Asio4All and using it as an Audio Driver in the Settings?

2. Yes indeed. Wish it didn't stop there. Acid is still the best for Drag&Droping Audio Samples, Cut them in half (with the "S" key), scrolling inside the waveform (using Alt), and placing them precisely on the Grid (Zooming with Adaptive Grid), adding Fade-in/out curves and switching between different fade shapes.

This is what inspired other DAWs (specially with the Smart Grid, such as Cubase, Sonar etc.).
Old 20th August 2018
PHG
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacchino View Post
@PHG,

1. Have you tried installing Asio4All and using it as an Audio Driver in the Settings?
No, I haven't tried ASIO4All yet on my current computer. I might give it a shot.

I tried it a few years back with my previous computer, but was using all different hardware then, and running into lots of unrelated problems.

I just recently got a new computer up and running, and have been in the process of finding the right current DAW. Reaper and Presonus didn't quite click. I'm going to give Ableton a try this week. I might have to try Cubase and Sonar too, if they are similar to ACID in some ways.
Old 23rd September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHG View Post
No, I haven't tried ASIO4All yet on my current computer. I might give it a shot.

I tried it a few years back with my previous computer, but was using all different hardware then, and running into lots of unrelated problems.

I just recently got a new computer up and running, and have been in the process of finding the right current DAW. Reaper and Presonus didn't quite click. I'm going to give Ableton a try this week. I might have to try Cubase and Sonar too, if they are similar to ACID in some ways.
PHG,

I feel you. If you didn't click with Studio One, it's probably because it's the refugee DAW for Pro-Tools & Sonar users.

If you didn't click with Reaper, well it's probably because of its inconsistent UI.

I would really recommend you try Bitwig Studio. It was recently updated to v2.4 with an emphasis on their Sampler module...

For me it's THE daw that takes the best of both worlds: the Clip/Scene like DAWs (like FL Studio / Ableton Live) + the Arranger / Classic DAWs (like Logic, Cubase, etc.).

It's still a very young one. Just like Presonus Studio One used to be. But IMO it's going to be in the Top 3 DAWs very soon.
Old 24th September 2018
PHG
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacchino View Post
PHG,

I feel you. If you didn't click with Studio One, it's probably because it's the refugee DAW for Pro-Tools & Sonar users.

If you didn't click with Reaper, well it's probably because of its inconsistent UI.

I would really recommend you try Bitwig Studio. It was recently updated to v2.4 with an emphasis on their Sampler module...

For me it's THE daw that takes the best of both worlds: the Clip/Scene like DAWs (like FL Studio / Ableton Live) + the Arranger / Classic DAWs (like Logic, Cubase, etc.).

It's still a very young one. Just like Presonus Studio One used to be. But IMO it's going to be in the Top 3 DAWs very soon.
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll try to check it out soon.

I recently got a MPC Studio with MPC Software 2.2, and it is working fairly well for me as a DAW to get some basic ideas recorded. I'm still slowly learning it. But I know most of the proper DAWs are likely more powerful, so I should keep looking at them too.
Old 8th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Just made some music with it today, as a rewire slave into nuendo worked fine, except for some bugs with the playback marker.
Old 11th December 2018
Lives for gear
Been using it since it started.
so its weird but its just the best for arrangment - the way you can easily see the blocks and draw them in. The pitch +/- is useful. Dropping an effect on an individual clip is cool.
The stretching algorhthm is cool. Its just really intuitive and hard to put my finger on why....
Dropping clips onto the side... mmm
Do you know what would make it better than any other DAW on the market for selfish little 3D sound designer me ?
Putting DBAP in there. Thats where you can sraw a map of the speakers and then pan shiot around them. That would be amazing.
For me though Acid still beats any other DAW for arrangment - including live and flstudio. and personally - I like the samples down below....
Old 31st December 2018
Lives for gear

Guss, try Bitwig. I'm being a huge advocate of this one, specially for sound designers.
Old 31st December 2018
Lives for gear

PHG,

Well it's not full-fledged but it's being updated every 2-3 months at least (fast development cycle).

With this Bitwig DAW, you won't be able yet to comp as fast as in Sonar (I saw how they really nailed it over there). Nor will you be able to use it like JunkyXL uses Cubase 10 (configuring custom Macros to increase or decrease multiple automation curves... for instance).
No scratchpad either like Studio One.
You can't re-arrange the order of your FX Chain just by using the mouse-scroll like FL Studio 20.

But I have a good feeling about this DAW's workflow and logic. Just like Acid Pro's feeling of being home when using it.
They just nailed this logic since version 1.0 and each new feature finds its place elegantly, without bloating the view.

It's like a great music hit. Like the first 3 chords John Lennon had in a dream for "Imagine" : it felt so simple yet so right that everything else fells into place when he wrote down the full arrangement. Whatever you add to it will work, because of its well thought core design.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search