The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Producer/musician wants another DAW
Old 11th March 2018
Gear Addict

Producer/musician wants another DAW

Howdy folks,

I've used FL Studio for many years. I like it for electronic-oriented music. The step sequencer and MIDI editor are great. The synths are wonderful as well. However, I absolutely despise it for audio recording.

So when I wanted to record instruments exclusively, I switched to REAPER. Fine workflow for audio recording and editing. I don't like it as much for MIDI workflow. The interface, especially the menus are a little cluttered.

However, in recent times I started using both "real" instruments and VIs. For drums I like to layer sounds together. So I make half the track in FL Studio, and the other half in REAPER. Breaks the workflow and I'm tired of it. So I'm looking for something different.

I'm running on Windows 7 x64, because I hate Windows 10. I use a Steinberg UR44 audio interface.

I prefer to use native plugins, but will use some external VIs (like for drums or specific synths) and effects (saturation, dynamic EQ, amp sims).

Only two of the instruments I play support MIDI, them being my digital piano and my electronic drumkit. The digital piano has great built-in sounds. The drumkit, not so much, so I prefer using drum libraries with it, sometimes layered with samples.

Here's what I've looked at so far:

Reason
I'm on my 3rd day of the trial. Quirky, but kind of fun to use at first. Synths are great. Layering and triggering works well. However, I'm not a fan of the cluttered rack interface. And both the mixer and the rack view are an absolute scrollfest. I reckon I'd get tired of the patching workflow pretty quickly.

Live 9
Great effects, useful instruments. Not sure about the interface. I used it with my band. I always felt like we weren't using it for what it was designed. We just recorded the band with it, did some mixing and that was it. I felt it was more geared towards people using it live or for those making their arrangements by clip-making and launching. I do none of that.

Studio One 3
Nice effects. Like the workflow and the interface. Not entirely sure about its VIs though. My biggest gripe about it, is that the Artist version doesn't support VST.

What I'm planning to try

Cubase Pro 9.5, but Artist might be an option as well.
Live 10 because I've seen the added audio functionality and it looks rather promising. And that wavtable synth is super cool.
Pro Tools 11 because it still seems to be the standard.

My question to you is if there's anything else I should look at (Bitwig?), if there's anything that could be especially handy for my uses that I haven't discovered yet in a DAW I used, or is in a DAW that I either have or haven't listed.

Should you need further info to point me to a DAW, let me know. I left out genre because it says nothing and varies anyway.

Cheers!
CZ

Last edited by Cue Zephyr; 12th March 2018 at 12:44 AM..
Old 12th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Today is the last day of a deal to download Samplitude Pro X3 Suite for $149.00 (Normally $599.00). Check out this GS thread.
Old 12th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mege View Post
Today is the last day of a deal to download Samplitude Pro X3 Suite for $149.00 (Normally $599.00). Check out this GS thread.
I did not expect that. I'm looking into it now. Thanks.
Old 24th March 2018
Lives for gear
Mixcraft. IMO works equally well with MIDI and audio and very user-friendly. Comes with a lot of bundled VSTs/VSTi's. They have a 14-day trial, I'd give a look.
Old 7th April 2018
Here for the gear

I've been trying to get away from always thinking 'does this do everything I want it to do' and for a change try a different approach and ask: 'what has the Midi tricks and innovations I've never considered before using', without it being too automatic, but giving me total control and freedom to experiment. And if the best for this means using a Midi standalone in your arsenal, what's wrong with that? (Since you mentioned Midi workflow).

chordwarepa » Page 1 of 5
Old 7th April 2018
Lives for gear
Thanks for the advertising spam.

I agree with Ray that Reaper is a good alternative too. I would avoid the overpriced/overrated Pro Tools, but that's me.
Old 9th April 2018
Here for the gear

I agree with Bill and Ray about Reaper. CPA is meant to be used WITH a DAW like Reaper and was never meant to suggest otherwise.
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

The DAW Feature Chart

Pretty decent comparison of the main DAWs. Waveform was just added and came in ~3rd overall on his ratings if I remember right, but it really depends on what you're looking for in a DAW as to which is "best". A DAW is definitely just another tool in the end and you don't want it getting in the way.
Old 19th April 2018
Gear Maniac
Bitwig and Logic if you're Mac. I use the latter.
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
The DAW Feature Chart

Pretty decent comparison of the main DAWs.
Disagree. How does he include obscure stuff like Waveform and SawStudio (?) but leaves out mainstream stuff like Sonar and FL, among others? I really like the concept, but it needs a better choice of DAWs (or more inclusion).

Quote:
it really depends on what you're looking for in a DAW as to which is "best". A DAW is definitely just another tool in the end and you don't want it getting in the way.
No argument there.
Old 21st April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Disagree. How does he include obscure stuff like Waveform and SawStudio (?) but leaves out mainstream stuff like Sonar and FL, among others? I really like the concept, but it needs a better choice of DAWs (or more inclusion).
Those are DAWs he's spent 100+ hours with using daily and also writing about. I'm guessing he picks them based on the chance they'd be able to become his "daily driver" for work/life - I don't believe that reviewing DAWs is his job (he says he's a recording engineer). Perhaps he just hasn't gotten to everything you'd want to see reviewed as this is his own money and time. Also he uses Mac, so that rules out FruityLoops until it comes out of beta and has parity.
Old 21st April 2018
Gear Nut

I've used Cubase since 2000. It seems with every update, they add something that makes the workflow and the program a little better.

I've never used, FL, Reason or Abelton. What I've been told by people I know who use these programs is that they are better for song production. You can easily pick instruments, throw in a loop, etc. and make songs faster. The learning curve is easier too.

Cubase is better all around for recording, mixing, mastering and music production also but I've been told its not as strong in that area.

I use Cubase primarily for mastering and mixing, but have arranged at least 20 songs. If you can get free demos, try them out. Record and mix too so you can get an overall feel for the program.

Good luck with your search!
Old 22nd April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
Those are DAWs he's spent 100+ hours with using daily and also writing about. I'm guessing he picks them based on the chance they'd be able to become his "daily driver" for work/life - I don't believe that reviewing DAWs is his job (he says he's a recording engineer). Perhaps he just hasn't gotten to everything you'd want to see reviewed as this is his own money and time. Also he uses Mac, so that rules out FruityLoops until it comes out of beta and has parity.
Fair enough.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search