The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mixcraft
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear
Mixcraft

I'm surprised this is not in conversations here. I've tried Cubase, Studio One, Traktion (ugh), Sonar and Reaper, and IMO Mixcraft beats them all (granted subjective and I agree DAWs are more alike than different, not saying it's night and day). Anyone else?
Old 3rd March 2018
Lives for gear

What exactly "beats" them? It's not a snide comment, but for real, what do you like better?
Old 7th March 2018
Lives for gear
Generally, the look/feel of it, the workflow. More generally user-friendly. I started paying attention when it was the only one which instantly and w/o incident recognized my PC mic and speakers, lol. Which mattered to me since I'll have my PC on the road a fair bit (business trips) and want to use, but also it suggests it is better in that regard (recognizing hardware). Also it's one of the best price-wise. Screw hundreds of $ on a DAW.
Old 9th March 2018
Lives for gear

Unless they work. Cubase almost ALWAYS works as advertised. And when not it's minor niggles. So, paying more for something that works, is stable and does all the tricks isn't overpaying.

This isn't to insult or belittle, just trying to get a handle. Think I try it out just be sure........
Old 9th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowrongfoo View Post
Unless they work. Cubase almost ALWAYS works as advertised. And when not it's minor niggles. So, paying more for something that works, is stable and does all the tricks isn't overpaying.
It is when you could've got something else that works, is stable and does all the tricks but costs less, IMO. To each their own
Old 9th March 2018
Lives for gear

I'm trying it out, don't know how to use it yet of course
Old 9th March 2018
Lives for gear
Yep I'm still kind of shopping myself, it's not like Mixcraft is night and day above the rest
Old 9th March 2018
Here for the gear

Hi all,
I have been using Mixcraft for about a year. I do like the drop and drag feature for placing loops. I must admit I have not used the full features of this DAW, right now I am comfortable with it. However, I have been itching to try Reaper. Funds are tight, Reaper looked to bee promising, I just could not figure out if the loops I have will 'sit' in the DAW like it does with Mixcraft--(categories). I have too many packs to go back and forth trying to find a certain string or a drum, etc....
Once I am able to invest in a actual keyboard, I will give the VSTs a go---they look fun.
Old 10th March 2018
Lives for gear

Yeah, it's not my bag. For one thing (maybe because it was the demo) it would kinda become sluggish at times.

I didn't care for the way to get around in the timeline and ctrl/space didn't work (ctrl/shift space did though)

What I did like was the cpu use. Seemed well below what I have now and similar to reaper. But I have a ton of hosts so not needing anything. Not a bad product though (other than that lagging which I don't understand)
Old 10th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulblk27 View Post
Once I am able to invest in a actual keyboard, I will give the VSTs a go---they look fun.
Granted it's not optimal, but why not give them a go anyway? You can still get a good feel for how they work.
Old 19th March 2018
Here for the gear

I am newbie. I am trying to make a DAW act close to a guitar looper. I found MixCraft the easiest comparing to Cubase and FL Studio. I worked with Cubase for a while, then I quit it, I still wondering how to make a piece to loop. With MixCraft, loop is just right there, very powerful. You don't need manual for many things. I managed to make FBV3 controls aspects of the Mixcraft recording without any manual.
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowrongfoo View Post
Yeah, it's not my bag. For one thing (maybe because it was the demo) it would kinda become sluggish at times.

I didn't care for the way to get around in the timeline and ctrl/space didn't work (ctrl/shift space did though)

What I did like was the cpu use. Seemed well below what I have now and similar to reaper. But I have a ton of hosts so not needing anything. Not a bad product though (other than that lagging which I don't understand)
Mixcraft was sluggish? Interesting; I only have 4GB RAM and never had a problem with it.
Old 22nd March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Granted it's not optimal, but why not give them a go anyway? You can still get a good feel for how they work.
I probably will shortly, I have some thoughts in my head that loops just doesn't do it for me---or I can't find the right loop---or creativity is starting to kick in
Old 22nd March 2018
Lives for gear
lol

Yeah actually MC has a good selection of loops, I'm just not into it. Not doing anything live and very picky about being original.
Old 22nd April 2018
Lives for gear
Single shameless bump. I'm still window shopping some but it's most likely MC has my business.
Old 9th May 2018
Acoustica's Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio:

Although my main DAW is Apple Logic Pro X running on an iMac, I bought Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio (which is PC-only) mainly to get the included VSTs from Memory Moon, including a rather good Yamaha CS80 emulation. I crossgraded from Logic, so the pro version only cost me $99.

At first glance, Mixcraft's UI looks a bit dated and simplistic, but after playing with it for a few hours, I began to see the utility of this app. First, it comes with some pretty high-quality VSTs, plus a huge library of included Acoustica sound banks and loops—most of which sound pretty good. It also has a built-in search interface to freesound.org, a huge public-domain sound library. You could easily design an entire soundtrack, complete with effects, in just a few clicks—it's all there. Another net-connected convenience is its built-in online publisher to popular websites like SoundCloud, Vimeo, YouTube and others (though for some reason, I couldn't get its SoundCloud log-in screen to recognize my credentials).

These features are really useful and fun to use, and aren't going to be found in the more established DAWs. Though I wouldn't necessarily choose M8 as my primary DAW, as a secondary DAW (I use a second DAW to host VSTs which I need to control on a touchscreen PC), or for casual use, it actually functions quite well, and most of all, is really fun and pretty easy to use—excellent for beginners and for those who don't already have any synth VSTs or sound libraries.

[Below, I've re-posted a comment I wrote in the synth section of GS:]

Memory Moon's CS80 emulator VST:

I just got my copy of ME80 running a couple days ago (included in Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio), and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. After trawling through a million threads over the last few days, I found a consensus of about a half-dozen here that the ME80 edges out Arturia's CS80 V emulation for more accurately nailing the legendary Yamaha CS80 (though, Arturia's emulation sounds quite good as well, despite any missed nuances in its modeling).

Acoustica's $99 Crossgrade:

My main DAW is on a 27" Core i7 iMac with 40GB of RAM running Apple Logic Pro X. But I also have a brand new all-in-one Core i5 24" touchscreen PC with 8GB of RAM that I'm not using, so I thought I'd dedicate it to running a soft-synth. Knowing that Acoustica Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio (an entry-level PC DAW) includes all three of Memory Moon's VSTs, I thought I'd get that since I don't own a PC-based DAW to host any VSTs. For Logic-owners interested in the PC-version of the Memory Moon VSTs (who don't already own a PC-based DAW):

• Find your e-mail receipt from the Apple AppStore and print-screen an image of that.
• Go to the Acoustica website and click, "Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio."
• Click on "crossgrade" at the top of the screen.
• Submit your e-mail and attach your receipt photo.

Within 24 hours, you'll get an e-mail reply with a discount code to get Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio for only $99 (normally $179), which is $1 less than buying all three VSTs directly from Memory Moon. Most other DAWs also qualify for the crossgrade.

First impressions:

Now, having the Memory Moon ME-80 edit screen (the screen that looks like the synth), full-screen on a 24" display is definitely a plus (though, I had to reduce my display-resolution to accomplish this). And not having to share the PC with my main DAW keeps things simple. However, the synth's screen-graphics aren't scalable, and the resolution is a bit low.

Though Acoustica's feature set and included content is rather impressive (and published reviews, universally pretty positive), Mixcraft suffers from a dated GUI with amateurish-looking graphical icons. Now, learning a new DAW is never pleasant, but Acoustica claims its best feature is its ease-of-use. If you own a Mac, Logic offers ease of use and included instruments in spades, and is probably the better, more powerful option. That said, M8 is a neat little DAW definitely worth considering for those in PC-land who may be contemplating their first DAW.
Old 9th May 2018
Lives for gear
You nailed it IMO. I disagree that the UI is particularly dated (and beats some I've seen), but yeah IMO its strengths are it's easy to use and it has an impressive built-in array of VST/VSTi stuff. And the stock stuff is good too IMO (though I've found that with most stock stuff in DAWs; highly underrated most of the time). Also the "Pro" version comes with Melodyne.

My biggest pet peeve is that the transport bar is stuck in the middle of the screen, which IMO is about the worst place for it as it quickly and easily gets covered up by things when you start popping up menus for this or that (like VST stuff). No idea why they did that and suggested a move, or at least make it "undockable" so I can move it myself. But I've tried many DAWs and this one still leads the pack.
Old 24th July 2018
Here for the gear

When I first seen Mixcraft it reminded me of another program you sometimes see on shelves at local retailers for those who want to "dabble" with a daw. I guess I didn't take it seriously.I have other daws by the big guns in the daw world and this one was something I had not even noticed much less considered buying.

Lesson- Never assume anything. Never take anything at face value. Never make a judgement with little or no factual evidence. I think the only thing that made me look at it was my favorite daw was on the ropes ready to go under and many were looking for a replacement. When Cakewalk was purchased buy another buyer things looked up and the need to obtain another daw based on an emergency went away.

During that time I STILL wasn't looking at Mixcraft because I owned a close competitor daw, Studio One which many scared Cake users went to. I think the only reason I considered Mixcraft was an acquaintance who's opinions I respect seemed to like many things about it. Mixcraft was offering a deal on it so I bought it.

Recently I have been using more of my Kontakt libraries and needed to set up a multi. I decided to see which daw was the easiest to do this in. Hands down the easiest daw to do that in was Mixcraft. I tried Sonar, Ableton and Studio One.Yes, I could do it in the others, but it felt clunky. Mixcraft has a cool way of letting you show the different channels of a multi in Kontakt as lanes in a track. One 5 minute video on YouTube and I was up and running. Mixcraft has some cool video handling functions too. Basic yes, but they get the job done. I bought Mixcraft Pro 8.

The instructional videos are really helpful too. I looked over the piano roll and midi editing functions. Not shabby at all.I think you can only see.edit one track at a time. I REALLY like the tuner on each audio track. For string players this is a godsend.

There are a few things that don't work as well in Mixcraft as they do in a few of the others. I thought submix/bus routing was a little clunky. The way you load and edit a vst/vsti . Once you get the hang of it it isn't difficult.

I haven't been through the whole vst list yet. I have collections of Waves plugins and lean on many of those and others. I probably don't need any vst's. I did load and work with a few in Mixcraft so far. The big thing about plugin makers right now modern looking GUI's. These haven't been updated. It doesn't mean they aren't just as effective as those who have had a face lift. Most things are still similar under the hood so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. The end result is what you hear. That's all that matters.

I'm still digging into this daw, but so far I am impressed with the capability it has and how well designed it is. It's a low cpu zippy program on my computer. Hasn't crashed even one time so far. I can't say that about others. It really sucks when you have two hours of mixing invested and a program locks up. That hasn't happened so far with Mixcraft Pro 8.
Old 11th August 2018
Here for the gear

Mixcraft Pro Studio 7

I had never heard of Mixcraft. I was looking for something basic, and my guitarist/songwriting partner bought their 16-track version for like $40 or so dollars. He just wanted it to use as a notepad and didn't want to spend an arm and a leg on it.
I checked it out and it seemed really good (I trained on Logic Pro 7 in college, but I'm not a MAC guy. If I could build my own MAC from parts, I might be.

But I went ahead and bought the Pro Studio 7 version, which was current.
It resides on a PC with Windows 7, and has never been online.

As it stands, Mixcraft does everything I need it to do - the processing is really good, and it has quite a few MIDI sounds for me to toy with. I have an edrum kit connected to the PC and all my drum tracks are MIDI, which I am still trying to learn as much as possible about. I wish that Acoustica would produce a MIDI sample set of various studio kits.
But it looks like I'm going to win up buying the "Slate Drums" Chris Lord Alge pack.

But I am really happy the Mixcraft so far.

I just wish I really knew what I was doing in MIDI, as it is, I'm just tinkering with it.

KTK9
Old 10th October 2018
Lives for gear
I think it's equally adept at audio and MIDI, and if you're into Melodyne, the top-end "Pro" version (which includes Melodyne) is a no-brainer.
Old 10th October 2018
Gear Maniac

I used Mixcraft about 10 years ago, when I first got into DAW's....I remember it was really easy to pick up compared to other DAW's I had tried, but I quickly outgrew it, as it really was very basic in those days (it used to be considered the PC version of Garageband).
Old 22nd March 2019
Here for the gear
Mixcraft 8Pro or nothing

Started with Sony acid then fl studio,presonus,ableton then Cubase and lastly advid pro tools.2me the work flow or 2many menus and the visual layout were all lacking for my taste.Been using Mixcraft since 6,didn't have 2read any instructions to start recording right out the box,but when I did figure out all it's features, I'll never use another and it takes vst's with No problem it's fast and the old school mixer is the best if u like that old board feel,plus the included plugins are top notch.
Old 30th April 2019
Gear Nut

VERY underrated DAW IMHO. Easiest beginners DAW for the PC(Although Logic X is a better choice on the MAC).
Old 1st May 2019
Lives for gear
Next version due out next year, they've been really good at taking suggestions too (IMO sincerely, not lip service).
Old 25th May 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Mixcraft was sluggish? Interesting; I only have 4GB RAM and never had a problem with it.
I only have 4 gig and my computer doesn't even breath hard with Mixcraft. I've been using it heavily for 5 years and it has crashed a few times. IMO Mixcraft is the most user friendly DAW there is. I like the work flow and the look.

It's important to go into task manager on your computer and shutdown some of the processes. Sometimes Microsoft processes start up and some are memory hogs.
Old 25th May 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead1 View Post
I used Mixcraft about 10 years ago, when I first got into DAW's....I remember it was really easy to pick up compared to other DAW's I had tried, but I quickly outgrew it, as it really was very basic in those days (it used to be considered the PC version of Garageband).
Mixcraft is now a grown up DAW and it has maintained its reliability. I would think that it you cloned an engineer and gave them both Mixcraft an Pro Tools and had them mix and master the same tracks they would sound almost the same. The cloned engineer using Mixcraft would probably finish the task sooner.

Before I got Mixcraft I was messing with Studio One and Reaper. What sold me on Mixcraft besides the fact is it a superior DAW to Studio One and Reaper was the Mixcraft University on youtube which features professionally done tutorials and the Mixcraft forum where everyone is happy and if there are issues they get solved and more often than not issues are operator error. It still appears the on the Presonus forum and reaper forum most of the threads are of the "please help me" variety. I'm a musician/singer/songwriter/composer. I'm not a very good techie. I just wanted something that worked well and was not aggravating so I picked Mixcraft.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search