The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mixcraft
Old 27th February 2018
  #1
Lives for gear
Mixcraft

I'm surprised this is not in conversations here. I've tried Cubase, Studio One, Traktion (ugh), Sonar and Reaper, and IMO Mixcraft beats them all (granted subjective and I agree DAWs are more alike than different, not saying it's night and day). Anyone else?
Old 3rd March 2018
  #2
Lives for gear
 

What exactly "beats" them? It's not a snide comment, but for real, what do you like better?
Old 7th March 2018
  #3
Lives for gear
Generally, the look/feel of it, the workflow. More generally user-friendly. I started paying attention when it was the only one which instantly and w/o incident recognized my PC mic and speakers, lol. Which mattered to me since I'll have my PC on the road a fair bit (business trips) and want to use, but also it suggests it is better in that regard (recognizing hardware). Also it's one of the best price-wise. Screw hundreds of $ on a DAW.
Old 9th March 2018
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Unless they work. Cubase almost ALWAYS works as advertised. And when not it's minor niggles. So, paying more for something that works, is stable and does all the tricks isn't overpaying.


This isn't to insult or belittle, just trying to get a handle. Think I try it out just be sure........
Old 9th March 2018
  #5
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowrongfoo View Post
Unless they work. Cubase almost ALWAYS works as advertised. And when not it's minor niggles. So, paying more for something that works, is stable and does all the tricks isn't overpaying.
It is when you could've got something else that works, is stable and does all the tricks but costs less, IMO. To each their own
Old 9th March 2018
  #6
Lives for gear
 

I'm trying it out, don't know how to use it yet of course
Old 9th March 2018
  #7
Lives for gear
Yep I'm still kind of shopping myself, it's not like Mixcraft is night and day above the rest
Old 9th March 2018
  #8
Here for the gear
 
sulblk27's Avatar
Hi all,
I have been using Mixcraft for about a year. I do like the drop and drag feature for placing loops. I must admit I have not used the full features of this DAW, right now I am comfortable with it. However, I have been itching to try Reaper. Funds are tight, Reaper looked to bee promising, I just could not figure out if the loops I have will 'sit' in the DAW like it does with Mixcraft--(categories). I have too many packs to go back and forth trying to find a certain string or a drum, etc....
Once I am able to invest in a actual keyboard, I will give the VSTs a go---they look fun.
Old 10th March 2018
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Yeah, it's not my bag. For one thing (maybe because it was the demo) it would kinda become sluggish at times.

I didn't care for the way to get around in the timeline and ctrl/space didn't work (ctrl/shift space did though)

What I did like was the cpu use. Seemed well below what I have now and similar to reaper. But I have a ton of hosts so not needing anything. Not a bad product though (other than that lagging which I don't understand)
Old 10th March 2018
  #10
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulblk27 View Post
Once I am able to invest in a actual keyboard, I will give the VSTs a go---they look fun.
Granted it's not optimal, but why not give them a go anyway? You can still get a good feel for how they work.
Old 19th March 2018
  #11
Here for the gear
 

I am newbie. I am trying to make a DAW act close to a guitar looper. I found MixCraft the easiest comparing to Cubase and FL Studio. I worked with Cubase for a while, then I quit it, I still wondering how to make a piece to loop. With MixCraft, loop is just right there, very powerful. You don't need manual for many things. I managed to make FBV3 controls aspects of the Mixcraft recording without any manual.
Old 20th March 2018
  #12
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowrongfoo View Post
Yeah, it's not my bag. For one thing (maybe because it was the demo) it would kinda become sluggish at times.

I didn't care for the way to get around in the timeline and ctrl/space didn't work (ctrl/shift space did though)

What I did like was the cpu use. Seemed well below what I have now and similar to reaper. But I have a ton of hosts so not needing anything. Not a bad product though (other than that lagging which I don't understand)
Mixcraft was sluggish? Interesting; I only have 4GB RAM and never had a problem with it.
Old 22nd March 2018
  #13
Here for the gear
 
sulblk27's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Granted it's not optimal, but why not give them a go anyway? You can still get a good feel for how they work.
I probably will shortly, I have some thoughts in my head that loops just doesn't do it for me---or I can't find the right loop---or creativity is starting to kick in
Old 22nd March 2018
  #14
Lives for gear
lol

Yeah actually MC has a good selection of loops, I'm just not into it. Not doing anything live and very picky about being original.
Old 22nd April 2018
  #15
Lives for gear
Single shameless bump. I'm still window shopping some but it's most likely MC has my business.
Old 9th May 2018
  #16
Acoustica's Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio:

Although my main DAW is Apple Logic Pro X running on an iMac, I bought Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio (which is PC-only) mainly to get the included VSTs from Memory Moon, including a rather good Yamaha CS80 emulation. I crossgraded from Logic, so the pro version only cost me $99.

At first glance, Mixcraft's UI looks a bit dated and simplistic, but after playing with it for a few hours, I began to see the utility of this app. First, it comes with some pretty high-quality VSTs, plus a huge library of included Acoustica sound banks and loops—most of which sound pretty good. It also has a built-in search interface to freesound.org, a huge public-domain sound library. You could easily design an entire soundtrack, complete with effects, in just a few clicks—it's all there. Another net-connected convenience is its built-in online publisher to popular websites like SoundCloud, Vimeo, YouTube and others (though for some reason, I couldn't get its SoundCloud log-in screen to recognize my credentials).

These features are really useful and fun to use, and aren't going to be found in the more established DAWs. Though I wouldn't necessarily choose M8 as my primary DAW, as a secondary DAW (I use a second DAW to host VSTs which I need to control on a touchscreen PC), or for casual use, it actually functions quite well, and most of all, is really fun and pretty easy to use—excellent for beginners and for those who don't already have any synth VSTs or sound libraries.

[Below, I've re-posted a comment I wrote in the synth section of GS:]

Memory Moon's CS80 emulator VST:

I just got my copy of ME80 running a couple days ago (included in Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio), and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. After trawling through a million threads over the last few days, I found a consensus of about a half-dozen here that the ME80 edges out Arturia's CS80 V emulation for more accurately nailing the legendary Yamaha CS80 (though, Arturia's emulation sounds quite good as well, despite any missed nuances in its modeling).

Acoustica's $99 Crossgrade:

My main DAW is on a 27" Core i7 iMac with 40GB of RAM running Apple Logic Pro X. But I also have a brand new all-in-one Core i5 24" touchscreen PC with 8GB of RAM that I'm not using, so I thought I'd dedicate it to running a soft-synth. Knowing that Acoustica Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio (an entry-level PC DAW) includes all three of Memory Moon's VSTs, I thought I'd get that since I don't own a PC-based DAW to host any VSTs. For Logic-owners interested in the PC-version of the Memory Moon VSTs (who don't already own a PC-based DAW):

• Find your e-mail receipt from the Apple AppStore and print-screen an image of that.
• Go to the Acoustica website and click, "Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio."
• Click on "crossgrade" at the top of the screen.
• Submit your e-mail and attach your receipt photo.

Within 24 hours, you'll get an e-mail reply with a discount code to get Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio for only $99 (normally $179), which is $1 less than buying all three VSTs directly from Memory Moon. Most other DAWs also qualify for the crossgrade.

First impressions:

Now, having the Memory Moon ME-80 edit screen (the screen that looks like the synth), full-screen on a 24" display is definitely a plus (though, I had to reduce my display-resolution to accomplish this). And not having to share the PC with my main DAW keeps things simple. However, the synth's screen-graphics aren't scalable, and the resolution is a bit low.

Though Acoustica's feature set and included content is rather impressive (and published reviews, universally pretty positive), Mixcraft suffers from a dated GUI with amateurish-looking graphical icons. Now, learning a new DAW is never pleasant, but Acoustica claims its best feature is its ease-of-use. If you own a Mac, Logic offers ease of use and included instruments in spades, and is probably the better, more powerful option. That said, M8 is a neat little DAW definitely worth considering for those in PC-land who may be contemplating their first DAW.
Old 9th May 2018
  #17
Lives for gear
You nailed it IMO. I disagree that the UI is particularly dated (and beats some I've seen), but yeah IMO its strengths are it's easy to use and it has an impressive built-in array of VST/VSTi stuff. And the stock stuff is good too IMO (though I've found that with most stock stuff in DAWs; highly underrated most of the time). Also the "Pro" version comes with Melodyne.

My biggest pet peeve is that the transport bar is stuck in the middle of the screen, which IMO is about the worst place for it as it quickly and easily gets covered up by things when you start popping up menus for this or that (like VST stuff). No idea why they did that and suggested a move, or at least make it "undockable" so I can move it myself. But I've tried many DAWs and this one still leads the pack.
Old 24th July 2018
  #18
Here for the gear
 

When I first seen Mixcraft it reminded me of another program you sometimes see on shelves at local retailers for those who want to "dabble" with a daw. I guess I didn't take it seriously.I have other daws by the big guns in the daw world and this one was something I had not even noticed much less considered buying.

Lesson- Never assume anything. Never take anything at face value. Never make a judgement with little or no factual evidence. I think the only thing that made me look at it was my favorite daw was on the ropes ready to go under and many were looking for a replacement. When Cakewalk was purchased buy another buyer things looked up and the need to obtain another daw based on an emergency went away.

During that time I STILL wasn't looking at Mixcraft because I owned a close competitor daw, Studio One which many scared Cake users went to. I think the only reason I considered Mixcraft was an acquaintance who's opinions I respect seemed to like many things about it. Mixcraft was offering a deal on it so I bought it.

Recently I have been using more of my Kontakt libraries and needed to set up a multi. I decided to see which daw was the easiest to do this in. Hands down the easiest daw to do that in was Mixcraft. I tried Sonar, Ableton and Studio One.Yes, I could do it in the others, but it felt clunky. Mixcraft has a cool way of letting you show the different channels of a multi in Kontakt as lanes in a track. One 5 minute video on YouTube and I was up and running. Mixcraft has some cool video handling functions too. Basic yes, but they get the job done. I bought Mixcraft Pro 8.

The instructional videos are really helpful too. I looked over the piano roll and midi editing functions. Not shabby at all.I think you can only see.edit one track at a time. I REALLY like the tuner on each audio track. For string players this is a godsend.

There are a few things that don't work as well in Mixcraft as they do in a few of the others. I thought submix/bus routing was a little clunky. The way you load and edit a vst/vsti . Once you get the hang of it it isn't difficult.

I haven't been through the whole vst list yet. I have collections of Waves plugins and lean on many of those and others. I probably don't need any vst's. I did load and work with a few in Mixcraft so far. The big thing about plugin makers right now modern looking GUI's. These haven't been updated. It doesn't mean they aren't just as effective as those who have had a face lift. Most things are still similar under the hood so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. The end result is what you hear. That's all that matters.

I'm still digging into this daw, but so far I am impressed with the capability it has and how well designed it is. It's a low cpu zippy program on my computer. Hasn't crashed even one time so far. I can't say that about others. It really sucks when you have two hours of mixing invested and a program locks up. That hasn't happened so far with Mixcraft Pro 8.
Old 11th August 2018
  #19
Here for the gear
 

Mixcraft Pro Studio 7

I had never heard of Mixcraft. I was looking for something basic, and my guitarist/songwriting partner bought their 16-track version for like $40 or so dollars. He just wanted it to use as a notepad and didn't want to spend an arm and a leg on it.
I checked it out and it seemed really good (I trained on Logic Pro 7 in college, but I'm not a MAC guy. If I could build my own MAC from parts, I might be.

But I went ahead and bought the Pro Studio 7 version, which was current.
It resides on a PC with Windows 7, and has never been online.

As it stands, Mixcraft does everything I need it to do - the processing is really good, and it has quite a few MIDI sounds for me to toy with. I have an edrum kit connected to the PC and all my drum tracks are MIDI, which I am still trying to learn as much as possible about. I wish that Acoustica would produce a MIDI sample set of various studio kits.
But it looks like I'm going to win up buying the "Slate Drums" Chris Lord Alge pack.

But I am really happy the Mixcraft so far.

I just wish I really knew what I was doing in MIDI, as it is, I'm just tinkering with it.

KTK9
Old 10th October 2018
  #20
Lives for gear
I think it's equally adept at audio and MIDI, and if you're into Melodyne, the top-end "Pro" version (which includes Melodyne) is a no-brainer.
Old 10th October 2018
  #21
Gear Maniac
 

I used Mixcraft about 10 years ago, when I first got into DAW's....I remember it was really easy to pick up compared to other DAW's I had tried, but I quickly outgrew it, as it really was very basic in those days (it used to be considered the PC version of Garageband).
Old 22nd March 2019
  #22
Here for the gear
Mixcraft 8Pro or nothing

Started with Sony acid then fl studio,presonus,ableton then Cubase and lastly advid pro tools.2me the work flow or 2many menus and the visual layout were all lacking for my taste.Been using Mixcraft since 6,didn't have 2read any instructions to start recording right out the box,but when I did figure out all it's features, I'll never use another and it takes vst's with No problem it's fast and the old school mixer is the best if u like that old board feel,plus the included plugins are top notch.
Old 30th April 2019
  #23
Gear Maniac
 
SawneyBean's Avatar
VERY underrated DAW IMHO. Easiest beginners DAW for the PC(Although Logic X is a better choice on the MAC).
Old 1st May 2019
  #24
Lives for gear
Next version due out next year, they've been really good at taking suggestions too (IMO sincerely, not lip service).
Old 4th November 2019
  #25
Here for the gear
 

New to the conversation here, but I moved from Cubase Studio to Mixcraft about 7 years ago. Cubase Studio support from Steinberg was awful, and eventually the updates just made it unusable on my PC so rather than throwing hundreds of pounds after it I thought I'd give Mixcraft a go I started with Mixcraft 5 - which had a really simple workflow, supported all my hardware and vst plugins really well. I've upgraded along the way and am now on Mixcraft 8. It's worth getting the studio edition as the free instruments and plugins are well worth it. Over the years I've used Logic, Cubase, Cakewalk, Garageband (on an iPad) etc, and am just dipping my toes into Ableton, and Ableton aside, they all work along the same principles in my view, but Mixcraft is cheap, flexible and far more powerful than you'd think at first glance for what looks like an entry level DAW.

My son started using it when he was 14 (he's now 18), and has just finished a 2 year college course in Music Tech - I asked him if he wanted me to upgrade him to a more 'serious' DAW like Logic or Pro-tools, but he's very happy with Mixcraft - it does pretty much everything and does it well and he can get ideas down quickly and work them to final mixes.

Support is excellent - you email them and they send you a quick reply. They have a forum where you can suggest changes and my experience is that they listen and appear to care. Users can volunteer to be a beta tester and get the latest versions to try out - I assume this is how they keep costs down. They recently sent out a video of an internal company skype meeting where they demoed and discussed all the new features of Mixcraft 9, warts and all. I like that sort of openness and engagement.

I'm currently trying out version 9 and it's going to be a big upgrade - a better looking interface - a moveable transport bar for starters, plus the mixer is getting a massive overhaul (compressor, parametric eq, frequency analyser), and lots of excellent new features in the automationa nd midi editing that will make it an even more serious and flexible tool.

I just read that back and it sounds like I work for them!. I don't, I'm just a happy customer.

In short- well worth a look.
Old 23rd November 2019
  #26
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyw View Post
New to the conversation here, but I moved from Cubase Studio to Mixcraft about 7 years ago. Cubase Studio support from Steinberg was awful, and eventually the updates just made it unusable on my PC so rather than throwing hundreds of pounds after it I thought I'd give Mixcraft a go I started with Mixcraft 5 - which had a really simple workflow, supported all my hardware and vst plugins really well. I've upgraded along the way and am now on Mixcraft 8. It's worth getting the studio edition as the free instruments and plugins are well worth it. Over the years I've used Logic, Cubase, Cakewalk, Garageband (on an iPad) etc, and am just dipping my toes into Ableton, and Ableton aside, they all work along the same principles in my view, but Mixcraft is cheap, flexible and far more powerful than you'd think at first glance for what looks like an entry level DAW.

My son started using it when he was 14 (he's now 18), and has just finished a 2 year college course in Music Tech - I asked him if he wanted me to upgrade him to a more 'serious' DAW like Logic or Pro-tools, but he's very happy with Mixcraft - it does pretty much everything and does it well and he can get ideas down quickly and work them to final mixes.

Support is excellent - you email them and they send you a quick reply. They have a forum where you can suggest changes and my experience is that they listen and appear to care. Users can volunteer to be a beta tester and get the latest versions to try out - I assume this is how they keep costs down. They recently sent out a video of an internal company skype meeting where they demoed and discussed all the new features of Mixcraft 9, warts and all. I like that sort of openness and engagement.

I'm currently trying out version 9 and it's going to be a big upgrade - a better looking interface - a moveable transport bar for starters, plus the mixer is getting a massive overhaul (compressor, parametric eq, frequency analyser), and lots of excellent new features in the automationa nd midi editing that will make it an even more serious and flexible tool.

I just read that back and it sounds like I work for them!. I don't, I'm just a happy customer.

In short- well worth a look.
I would buy Samplitude Pro X4 Suite for $149 before I touched MixCraft [again]. It only just got a decent audio engine in v8. The MIDI Editing and Notation aren't that great, either.

If all you do is record and mix audio, I guess it will be okay. But so will a lot of things. You can do that in VEGAS Pro or free DaVinci Resolve, if you wanted. You don't need to pay anything for that.

I'm sure the improvements in v9 are going to be great... for their users, but there is almost nothing there worth caring about if you already own a decent DAW.

The Instruments are Plugins are easily worse than what MAGIX distributes with their DAWs, and the AIR stuff you can get for dirt cheap these days; and Pianissimo isn't even better than AIR Mini Grand. AIR's Synths are better, as well.

Most of the plugins are solidly mediocre.

Bundled content in a low end DAW is generally not a selling point. Almost no professional will use 85% of that stuff, and the rest is easily replaced with other stuff at rock bottom prices, these days.

Plugins and Virtual Instruments of better quality than those are dirt cheap, these days.

I also don't like the UI. It's an eyesore and designed as if it is not intended to be used for extended periods of time. Faux shiny all over.

Do you have screenshots of v9's UI?

-----

MixCraft doesn't work on macOS, so the only way to upgrade is to be using Winodws boot camped on a Mac. Windows alone is $100, and MixCraft $70 on promotion (Pro Studio). That's the same price as Logic Pro X, which runs natively on a Mac... and Logic is leagues better than MixCraft.

I know almost no one who would pay almost the same price to Boot Camp (or Emulate) Windows on their Mac to run MixCraft, over just getting the entire Apple Pro Apps Educational Bundle for $199.

I want to believe your story, but it's at best illogical and at worst irrational.

Especially since most courses are likely to be using Logic, Pro Tools, or Cubase. Why cripple yourself, esp. when you aren't even saving much (if any) money?
Old 23rd November 2019
  #27
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trensharo View Post
I would buy Samplitude Pro X4 Suite for $149 before I touched MixCraft [again].
Samplitude (a lame DAW IMO, very user-unfriendly) is $400. The UPGRADE is $149. Pls don't spread misinformation.

You don't like Mixcraft, whatever, you're entitled to your opinion...but it's only that. My opinion is that your post is subjective at best, sheer nonsense at worst.

I suggest people download the free trial and find out for themselves.
Old 26th November 2019
  #28
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Samplitude (a lame DAW IMO, very user-unfriendly) is $400. The UPGRADE is $149. Pls don't spread misinformation.

You don't like Mixcraft, whatever, you're entitled to your opinion...but it's only that. My opinion is that your post is subjective at best, sheer nonsense at worst.

I suggest people download the free trial and find out for themselves.
No. You're just bad at using Google Search.

Samplitude Pro X4 Suite for $149 - Deal personally verified by me.

"Pls don't spread misinformation." - STFU, guy.

The DAW is fine. Everything has a learning curve, and you benefit from putting in the effort to learning how to use it. You learn how to use your DAW once. People should not be putting much stock in how "easy" (or hard, for the matter) some people on the internet say any DAW is to use.

Additionally, having a high learning curve doesn't make software any easier or harder to use. Completely ignorable buzzword, IMHO. It just makes it easier or hard to learn how to operate that software on a basic level. The learning curve for making music is predominantly outside of the DAW, not within it. Additionally, software having a higher learning curve does not make it user unfriendly de facto. All unfamiliar software is unfriendly to new users, because users won't find anything unfamiliar to be friendly (even if they find the UI Design or Layout "Attractive." Look and Feel and Intuitiveness are not the same thing. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I don't see any reason why anyone should pay half of Samplitude Suite's (hilariously low) price for a cut-down product like MixCraft. Enjoy MixCraft, if that's what you want to use. But it is a prosumer DAW, compared to many others in the industry. If that is where a user's needs lie, and they don't forsee themselves growing past what it offers... then by all means consider it.

Samplitude has been running this sale on and off for the entire year. You just have to look at the correct affiliates, because MAGIX' marketing is dog crap.

I don't dislike MixCraft. I just think it's a mediocre product for professional use, that doesn't give you as much room to grow as other options, which can be purchased at very reasonable prices in the current market. It's for Hobbyists who think software is good just because it's cute (in an iOS 6 sort of way, anyhow).

If you were forced to pay $600 for better, then MixCraft at MSRP ($179) looks a LOT more attractive than an $80 vs. $150.

Now please excuse me while I put in a refund request for this duplicate purchase, since people need to do what I did to help other people on this forum wade through misinformation from people like you.

Bye.
Old 28th December 2019
  #29
Lives for gear
 

I tried them all. Nothing beats sequoia/samplitude. Of course this is my actual factual non subjective 100% correct scientific opinion. Lol
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4589 views: 577421
Avatar for stixstudios
stixstudios 20th May 2020
replies: 7 views: 2797
Avatar for ianopie
ianopie 27th December 2013
replies: 3 views: 923
Avatar for bill5
bill5 28th December 2019
replies: 96 views: 6875
Avatar for juiseman
juiseman 4 days ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump