The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Leaving Samplitude for??????
Old 25th November 2017
Deleted b5658d5
Leaving Samplitude for??????

I am done with Scamplitude and looking for advice on another DAW. I've been using Scamplitude for about 3 years and have had nothing but problems with this glitchy buggy DAW. From features not working at all to constant crashes and losing hours of work because it won't save properly. I've tried the Magix user forum and endless searches to no avail. I've been looking at Studio One or Cubase. I only record live instruments, I don't do any sampling or vsti's. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Must be your computer? Or some hardware on it..?
I work with Sam/Seq for more than a decade now, never had any problems and my computer is quite old...

Studio One and Cubase are nice DAWs, Cubase has no object-fx, if this is an issue... Maybe try Reaper?
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

If you only record live instruments, check out Ardour and Harrison Mixbus. Mixbus essentially runs on Ardour's infrastructure but provides a more sophisticated mixing interface, a different digital audio engine, and more built-in plugins. But Ardour is simpler. Both are multi-platform (windows, osx, and linux), although you'd probably have the best luck with OSX or Linux, especially if you use Ardour.
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

I can second a recommendation for MixBus. This past year I changed from Logic Pro, kind of as a plan to migrate over to Linux (MixBus licenses are valid for Mac & Linux & Win). But maybe I'll stick with OS X longer than I planned even if I also have MixBus running on a test machine running Ubuntu Studio.

I was lucky in my switch too because I use an SSD and so moved to OS X High Sierra (to use APFS for the SSD) and yet don't have the problems others experience with Logic because I am running MixBus.

But the MixBus interface is different, as its modeled after a Harrison's console. So in the mix strips you have what look to be real console strips, including EQ, compression, etc.. These are essentially plug-ins of course, but they are Harrison's and they sound very good, and they are there whether you use them or not.
Old 27th November 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Flint View Post
Cubase has no object-fx,
Does this suffice? Not sure if this is what Samp does
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx06tjTZ8DE
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

cool, but not exactly the same... attached the object editor from sam/seq... this is what you can do with any object/clip.
gain, aux/sends/ plugins online/offline, eq (up to 6 bands), pan, vol and automation, fades, timestretch and pitchshift etc. very powerful.
Attached Thumbnails
Leaving Samplitude for??????-object_fx_sam_seq.png  
Old 2nd December 2017
Here for the gear

Indeed. Very powerfull, rich, stable. I'm very, very happy with Samplitude.
Old 9th December 2017
Lives for gear

I'm so glad for the 3 people that think it's great, but..........

I've heard complaints in the neighborhood of 5-1 that samp has many issues. In fact, not too long ago I demoed it and found it, nearly unacceptable.

My idea of a quality product: One that doesn't crash daily (or hourly). One that does what it says on the "tin" and one that doesn't inhibit creative flow (within reason)

The demo of the latest samp DID NOT in any way matter, shape or form confirm this.
Old 10th December 2017
Here for the gear

No offense.
Using Samplitude/Sequoia is like riding a sport car - one has to know lots of things and how to use them. I've been using Samplitude for 19 years, last ten - for live productions. Every problem I've ever had so far was related either to hardware or my own ignorance. Last ten years never had an issue.
Old 10th December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalog View Post
I am done with Scamplitude and looking for advice on another DAW. I've been using Scamplitude for about 3 years and have had nothing but problems with this glitchy buggy DAW. From features not working at all to constant crashes and losing hours of work because it won't save properly. I've tried the Magix user forum and endless searches to no avail. I've been looking at Studio One or Cubase. I only record live instruments, I don't do any sampling or vsti's. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

My 2 cents...buy Reaper. Why? That would be an inexpensive way to see if it's your hardware and/or update your drivers -with- a very good driver program.

If you buy some other program for $300 or more and it still happens , it won't be a good music day.

Nothing wrong with Samplitude Pro X3. I run PT12. and Cubase 9.5...all will crash if external plug-ins and drivers are jacked.
Old 10th December 2017
Gear Maniac

It depends to me. I think that Cubase is great because it covers all bases. I like German technology personally. But you should go for what you know. I have tried them all and I always seem to come back to Cubase. Pro-Tools is great to learn for recording, but the worst of them all when it comes to composing (behind times/worst midi of all DAWS) imo. Reaper is the best at handling CPU usage. It is very very light on usage and highly configurable. Great for recording, but has the same compositional shortcomings as PT. Cakewalk was great along time ago until they ram-jammed it with just too much stuff. The 64bit fp engine is cool but it really isn't going to give you anything to shout about. No real sonic distinguishable difference to my ears (I may be wrong). I think that for your purposes, you'd probably be better off using reaper if you are going to spend about 12hrs of dedicated time to learn this DAW, or any of them. Afaik, reaper is the most bug-free of them all. My 2¢s
Old 14th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by presly View Post
No offense.
Using Samplitude/Sequoia is like riding a sport car - one has to know lots of things and how to use them. I've been using Samplitude for 19 years, last ten - for live productions. Every problem I've ever had so far was related either to hardware or my own ignorance. Last ten years never had an issue.
I may have been two high and mighty in my post, but let's be realistic. That isn't the experience many have had.

Ignorance is one thing, but if hardware doesn't work, and many other DAW's do, then that's just another strike.

Again, I'm glad for people who like it, they've never wronged me like sonar, but it's a small group.
Old 15th December 2017
I second the Reaper idea. Free to try and validate functioning hardware. I personally use FL Studio and Reaper. I prefer FL Studios mix bus architecture. Fades and edit are easier on Reaper.
Old 17th December 2017
Here for the gear

Leaving Samplitude for... Sequoia!
Old 10th January 2018
Gear Nut

You can leave sampro for sequoia or pyramix but not for low cost daws.
Quote:
If you only record live instruments, check out Ardour and Harrison Mixbus.
Mixbus is interesting but leaving Sampro for Ardour is a curious choice
(NB I'm a linux ubuntu studio user)
Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear

Running Samplitude X3 Suite and super happy with stabillity, speed, functionality and GUI. Love the skin support.

Yes some people have bad hardware/drivers and likes to blame the software...thats a bit lame.
Old 28th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Here is an idea for you. I just sort of perceived this as apossibility after reading the thread.
What if, someone is thinking of going for a DAW they pretend it isn't any good to invoke a response and see what the consensus is!

If it comes back with lots of horror stories then they know not to get it, if the responses are mostly favorable they go for it.

A am new to Samplitude ProX3 Suite sweet deal over Chrissy and so far so good. Stable and the more I find out about it the better I like it and the more I am realizing how good it is.
Old 4th February 2018
I left Cubase SX way back for Samplitude 9.0, upgraded to 10 which is when they had all those issues with Lynx Aurora not working with the program. I then upgraded to their next version and the Midimann midi box was not recognized by Samplitude so I could no longer using midi with the program.

I then went to Cubase 7.5 and was pleased by all the improvements they made. An important one was the ability to make the the mixer channels wider making it easier to read and work with. I can't stand those skinny faders anymore with Samplitude. Steinberg finally improved their bread and butter plug in's and put some decent reverb plug in's. Cubase works much better with Mackie Controller as well. I left my Midi sport for a Motu mid box. This is recognized by Samplitude but it still does not work with my Mackie Controller as well.

Steinberg was bought out my Yamaha and now they have more resources to improve the DAW including a lot of Yamaha Motif keyboard sounds. Yes Samplitude editing where you can add a plug in to just one section of track is great, but honestly with the read and write buttons with automation I am not missing it as much.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search