The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why is there no dedicated Samplitude/Sequoia subforum in DAW Talk?
Old 9th April 2020
Lives for gear

I love Samplitude and have used it for over 10 years. I'm thinking of upgrading to X 4/5 suite but the forum and support is really sparce.

Thinking of trying something else, which bums me out.
Old 9th April 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redddog View Post
I love Samplitude and have used it for over 10 years. I'm thinking of upgrading to X 4/5 suite but the forum and support is really sparce.

Thinking of trying something else, which bums me out.
Sampltude/Sequoia forum is very reactive, and also the email assistance.
Old 9th April 2020
Lives for gear

I have had good support from Magix with Sequoia. Much improved over the past year. There is even a tel # to call from the USA.

The Sequoia / Samplitude program is so good--please do not give up on it.
Old 30th June 2020
Gear Head
+1
Old 30th June 2020
Lives for gear

I've tried them all. Dropped Big Bucks on PT 11 and the expansion pack (because of hype) a few years back.
Though I wanted to I just didn't much care for it, Sold it at a loss a 2 months later and went back to Samplitude ProX Suite. ProX3, ProX4, Guess I've been using it forever.

"In 1992 the first version of Samplitude, written for the Amiga platform, was completed. It was mainly a sample editor with 24-bit audio processing. One year later, Samplitude Pro II came with hard disk recording.[3]

In 1995 Samplitude was released for Microsoft Windows 3.1. Three versions were available:[4]

Multimedia (four tracks) with virtual editing, real-time surround effect, integration of MIDI and AVI
Pro (8 tracks) like Multimedia Version plus features such as resampling, timestretching, pitch-shifting, MIDI sample dump
Studio (16 tracks) like Pro Version plus features such as external sync and various digital filters

In 1998 Samplitude 2496 was released, at the time owned by German audio company SEK'D (formerly Hohner Midia). It supported 24-bit recording at sample rates up to 96 kHz. Samplitude was unique at that time, being able to record audio to hard disk and RAM.[5] Simultaneously less expensive but limited versions of Samplitude called Red Roaster and Samplitude Studio were released for Windows 95/98 and NT4. Red Roaster's name being derived from the Red Book standard to which it conforms, included only the CD-burning features of Samplitude. The last releases still in version 5 were in June 1999 after which SEK'D sold the Samplitude line to MAGIX.

Samplitude Professional 7.0 was released at the end of 2002. This version included support for ASIO drivers, VST plug-ins (including VST Instruments) with plug-in delay compensation, and hardware control surfaces. It came with complete video recording, editing and authoring software.[6][7]

In 2005 Version 8.0 was released. Some of the new features were the ability to act as a ReWire host, 5.1 surround mixing, analogue-style processors, a virtual drum machine and an Acid-style beat-mapping tool.[8][9]

In 2006 MAGIX presented Samplitude 9.0 with advanced dual CPU support, VSTi manager, de-esser and more ergonomic track handling.[10][11]

Released Summer 2011, Samplitude Pro X made the hardware dongle optional, switched to 64-bit operation, included a new soft sampler, introduced window docking and introduced spectral editing.[12]

Samplitude Pro X2 introduced VCA faders, routing single tracks to multiple outputs, zPlane Elastique time-stretching algorithms were introduced. Pro X2 also introduced support for VST3.0 plugin format. DN-e1, an analog synthesizer was added. [13]

Samplitude Pro X3 updated Samplitude's tempo warp functionality, introduced Melodyne support via the ARA plugin format which provides deep integration in Samplitude. Samplitude Pro X4 comes bundled with Sound Forge Pro 11 as well as Izotope's Mastering and Repair Suite. [14]"
Old 7th July 2020
Here for the gear

Tempo Track is in X4.

Create a Track with no Objects. Show tempo Automation. Name it Tempo. Voila. It’s now a global tempo track.

It’s in the manual. Page 382...

So, upgrading for that is literally throwing money down the toilet. That is a UI change that saves you literally 10 seconds or less when you create a new VIP (or none, if you use a template and do it ahead of time).

The development for this DAW is too laggard. I, too, used X4 and cross graded to Cubase Pro because it wasn’t much more expensive and MAGIX isn’t really doing much with Samplitude. Forums are filled with content oldies, so it’s hard to discuss feature requests, etc. Those users like things the way it is. I don’t have to support that, so they can take it. No real ecosystem around the product.

If you want something for producing EDM, Hip Hop, etc. then ACID Pro is actually a better workflow and a better - more functionally targeted - feature set for those genres.

You won’t miss Samplitude’s decade old abandonware plugins and instruments. The price delta can get you better, anyways.

Or, you can just use something like Cakewalk by BandLab, which is far superior to all MAGIX DAWs for that type of production. Samplitude is not going to move up over Cakewalk for many reasons:

1. A lot of people getting into production are doing less audio tracking and more electro-oriented genres, which is a REALLY weak market for Samplitude, and deservedly so. For those Genres, MIDI prowess grows in importance, as well, and Samplitude isn’t really much better than Pro Tools there.

2. Cakewalk simply has a superior feature set for those Genres: Matrix, Loop Construction (can ACIDize), REX support, VST Rack, Better PRV, Arranger [Track], Brainless Drum Replacer and VocalSync, Superior Audio Quantize, MIDI FX, Etc.

3. Better workflow, and a far better UI/UX: Far superior track handling in the arranger, better marker management, track icons, track templates, exponentially better browsers (Loop/Sound and Plugins), an actual plugin manager that works well (better managers overall), way better UI performance, better menu and toolbar organization, a more sane default keyboard mapping (for Anglophones, anyways), a better implementation of docking, IMO a better use of the mouse (multi-tool, closer to Cubase) esp. the scroll wheel in some areas (like the track inspector), dockable mixer, ProChannel, etc.

4. Cakewalk is actually being developed and improved faster than Samplitude, post BandLab acquisition, and they aren’t even charging for it. IMO, this is an embarrassment, esp. when you consider Sequoia costs like $3,000’ish.

5. Both are Windows-only, which really hurts Samplitude. Cakewalk has probably the best WASAPI support on Windows, which gives better latency without the ASIO4ALL drawbacks inherent to the MAGIX Generic Driver; good for people at the budget level who work mostly with Samples and VSTis.
📝 Reply