The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
FL Studio 12 Demo vs Pro Tools First?
Old 18th July 2017
Here for the gear
FL Studio 12 Demo vs Pro Tools First?

Which one would be better? I would call myself an amateur/advance beginner with DAWs. I make hip hop beats. Which would be better for me? Thanks.
Old 18th July 2017
Lives for gear

@ idk a username are you a Mac or PC user?
Old 18th July 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame View Post
@ idk a username are you a Mac or PC user?
PC
Old 26th July 2017
Here for the gear

if you are going to be using primarilly VSTi's for your production and it's going to be heavilly pattern based then FL would probably be a better fit. Although it's probably horse for courses, a lot of people hate on FL a lot. I am kind of stuck with it now as I CBA to move to a different one and I know my way around it really well now.
Old 2nd January 2018
Gear Maniac

Consider Ableton Live.

Pro Tools is for recording bands really and mixing.

Ableton or Bitwig is probably the alternative to FL and will give you a little more in the future.
Old 3rd April 2018
FL Studio (Fruityloops Edition $100) has everything you'd ever need for sick beats.
You might be able to get by with the free demo by finishing each beat and exporting as .wav.
However, it sucks to not be able to save your projects.
Don't be cheap, it's a killer program, very powerful...

I was reading about Pro Tools First today and it doesn't have Solo buttons, is limited to 16 tracks, is limited to 4 inputs, requires recording to the cloud instead of your local machine... ick.

Oops, sorry about the necrobump. Very old post...
Old 4th April 2018
Here for the gear

They're same. What can PT do that FL can't and vice versa? It's not about the DAWs really..
Old 4th April 2018
Gear Maniac

I wouldn't like Pro Tools to FL Studio they are as far apart as DAW's go.

Pro Tools is much better for recording live bands, editing audio etc. Even if FL can do the same things it's more for EDM etc. Ableton straddles between a sort of Logic/FL Studio bridge.

Personally if you just want to have some fun making beats as mentioned before FL studio may do it for you. I would demo FL Studio, Ableton and PT and see for yourself. Some producers only use PT because it's what they know and love - and have in studios that have spent a lot on the HDX hardware.

For me Ableton gives you the best of both. It's not without its issues, but I can do professional work in it. Now FL Studio possibly has all that - I haven't used it for years though.

Both Ableton, FL Studio and Bitwig are "toys". I'm not putting their abilities down as they are also very powerful toys, but they are to inspire to create. PT, Logic, Cubase etc are more for an engineering angle and work best when approached like that.

I have made some possible arguable views here and these are just mine. I know though one thing, I would rather die than produce a dance record in Or Tools, and I would also rather die than produce a rock record in Ableton Live.

So if you know what you want 100% go with a DAW that suites your plans. If you think it might evolve into something else, consider getting either a DAW that straddles the waters or get 2 DAW's.

From what you have suggested though I think really you want to consider if FL Studio, Bitwig or Ableton is the one for you. Forget Pro Tools - it's very powerful but not as creatively fun.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

lolz.

PT VS FL.

If you do audio based recordings, then PT is great. FL, NOT SO MUCH. If you do a bunch of midi loops, FL might be the deal.

Strange comparison imnsho.
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowrongfoo View Post
lolz.

PT VS FL.

If you do audio based recordings, then PT is great. FL, NOT SO MUCH. If you do a bunch of midi loops, FL might be the deal.

Strange comparison imnsho.
It might be when you are used to this stuff, but some people might not know the direction to go.

I guess what is strange mostly is that FL Studio is probably the opposite end of the spectrum - it's more of a creative tool than a DAW. Hence why I suggested Ableton that straddles in between.

However each to his own - FL Studio maybe just the thing for creative success - Also Walker made a lot of money for himself using FL Studio to arrange his ideas (but then it was worked on further in software such as Cubase so if that's anything to go by it shows that you might want a bit of both worlds - depending on how much you are prepared to do).
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear

I'm not panning FL in any way, sorry if I came across that way, but it is to audio as a KIA soul is to a Maserati. They are worlds apart. I know, I have them both

FL is good at midi to some degree, but I have to admit that reason and cubase are both BETTER in "best of both world" degrees.

Not an advertisement, just saying I know hosts.......pretty well and know their strengths and weaknesses.
Old 17th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Better is subjective - but agreeable for many tasks.

Alan Walker however has made a pretty good living coming from FL Studio so whatever gets you making music is the best thing - you can always go on from there.

And you can always change your mind, these days to be able to buy a whole studio for less than the price of a cheap synth opens up your world a lot to be able to experiment.

Might seem pricy to buy a few DAWs over time but in the long run it can be worth it to have options and functionality.

However the case still stands, you don't want to go the Pro Tools way just yet :-)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search